MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 57 Plymouth Belvedere project  (Read 973 times)

Herman

• View Profile
57 Plymouth Belvedere project
« on: October 17, 2009, 04:11:08 PM »

So, one day somewhere last year, I noticed this '57 Plymouth for sale in Cali.
I've always digged these particular years. Perhaps of the movie, perhaps because the model is just well designed.
So I saw some pics of the car on someones driveway in the forsale-topic;
Front of the car was all smashed up, hood was bend, some sidetrim missing, some dents, paint weathered to the primer, interior totally shot...

In short, the car was a real mess! So I bought it...

Anyway, fast forward about 8 months now...  The old girl arrives at it's new home some 5000 miles down the road...

I try to get her inside, but she's a bit stubborn and wants to see me sweat. Now I don't sweat easily mainly because I'm very efficient (read: a lazy SoaB), so I decide to lay some modern technology down on the girl and with an electric towingcart and some MacGyvering I pulled her inside...

So there she is. My own 'Miss Belvy'. Spent here entire life 'above' ground luckily.
That same day, I started pulling out the 3 inch layer of junk laying around on her floorboards.
What I found underneath was surprisingly good sheetmetal. With only 1 small rust hole below the brakepedal.
The dashpadding had turned into a hardplastic cover, so out it went right after a pic was taken.
The rest of the interior was pulled out swiftly aswell. All that now remain are the frontseat and the doorpanels, but it won't be long before these also will be pulled out.

Now the interessting part of it all... the front sheetmetal!
This girl has really been messed up by some hack trying to pull her very violently orsomething like that.
The radiator-frame has been bent outward somewhere in the center, which caused everything connected to buckle and deform aswell.
So this will require some major disassembly and straightening of all the metal.
Wish me luck...

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 04:39:13 PM »

Naaww.Just stand in front of her,and then say.."Show me.."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I98L5imvTh4&feature=related
Personally,I am a fan of 4 door hardtops.Mid-50's 4dr hardtops are very scarce and have a unique roofline that makes the fins look even longer..

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 04:40:46 PM »

Should just about "fix itself"......

[TUBE]I98L5imvTh4&feature=related[/TUBE]

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 06:24:54 PM »

Is that your own personal garage?  I'm very jealous!
It's green here in Chico!!

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 01:11:07 AM »

I tried the "show me"-trick, but I guess I've got Christine's deaf sister here orsomething because nothing happened.

When it comes to late '50s cars I find it of more importance that the car is a hardtop and not a sedan, as to the number of doors.
Of course a 2dr hardtop would be tits aswell but a little offbeat model is sometimes cool too.

Snotty, yes this is (a part) of my garage. As to not feed your jealousy any further I will refrain from showing the rest of it then... lol

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 04:29:09 AM »

Really nice Herm!!  I saw the thread on that "other" site... good
for you for tackling a project of that magnitude. 
On the plus
side, those floors look pretty dern good for a FL!!  That
removable floor panel on the driver side is available from R-Car in CT,
I can give you contact info if yoU need it. I also like FL 4 dr
hardtops best, imo the roofline matches better to the body
lines than the 2 dr, and they are far rarer now.. of course I AM
prejudiced, I spent 25 yrs
looking for the right 58 DeSoto 4 dr hardtop!

So please tell us that she won't become a '58 Red & White you know what!!  The 57 is prettier !

firedome2009-10-18 09:33:38
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 10:28:45 AM »

Oh don't worry, she won't turn red ;)
There's already a Christine clone overhere in the Netherlands so no need to go copycatting with a 4dr no-less.

Today I started the disassembly of the front and about halfway into the fight I took a break and grabbed a small stool and sat down in front of car, staring at the mangled metal...
Low and behold, through 2 tiny holes in the radiatorframe I see something move...!
Some cobwebs where moving behind it. Then suddenly I saw a couple of pitch black spiderlegs move around there...!

So, to say hello and get acquintated with the critter, I shot a some penetrating oil through the holes. I looked at the other side of the frame and there it was, well over an inch in size was a black spider, re-arranging his web I probally messed up earlier.
I grabbed the penetrating spraycan again and gave it 2 firm shots in the kisser!
It surrendered and started descending down to the floor... where I greeted him with a couple more blast of oil.
Didn't seem to bother him much other then he lost his 'grip on reality' ... LOL
I switched to a can of brake cleaner to finish him off, but he was more resilient than I though. Lastly I asked him if he could take the 2 lbs hammer back to the toolbox but for some reason he gave up and turned himself inside out... ;)

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 01:32:53 PM »

soooooo......importing alien fauna without a permit, eh? 
stitcherbob2009-10-18 18:33:08
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 03:19:15 PM »

That is such a coinicidence - the '71 I just got from NC harbored a
HUGE brown spider in the engine compartment I found it while cleaning
off the firewall, he was hiding behind the ballast resistor... I've
hated spiders ever since I got bit on the leg by a Brown Recluse 20 yrs
ago and got a huge abcess from it, couldn't even walk for a few days...
so I sucked him up with the Shop Vac and never looked back!!  Ba
bye!!!!!!!!
firedome2009-10-18 20:20:46
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 03:46:08 PM »

Chris (Azblackhemi) has snakes..

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 03:34:02 PM »

Managed to pull the front end off tonight.
I dunno what was wrong with the clowns who technically designed all the sheetmetal parts of these '57 Plymouth but jees what a bunch of morons by placing bolts and nuts everywhere and at the most stupid places, holding the radiatorframe on the car...! And then the asymmetrical usage of parts and brackets... wow

Anyway, now it's time to get hammering I guess...

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 03:42:58 PM »

They were designed for ease and economy of production, not for repair, as you are finding out!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 04:14:48 PM »

Chrysler engineers made it easy on themselves but hard on do it yourselfers......looks like somebody pulled the front end with a giant tow hook and yanked everything out......I take my hat off to you for restoring this car.......a lot of effort and $$$$$$$ but it looks like it's going to work out just fine....

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 11:30:42 PM »

Well the engineers luckily got their act together when they went to unibody design. This alone would save the company about 20 bolts per car on the front ;)

'Restoring' isn't the right word for what I will be doing. 'Rebuilding', 'making it drivable' and looking nice is. Rebuilding the car is more in my line of budget.

The motor seems to be frozen up, but I didn't try too hard as I didn't have a good grip with the waterpump fan still in the way. And my knuckles are still raw from all removing all the bolts in tight places.
I plan to sell the 301-motor if possible and replace it with something 'easier' and more interesting like an early/mid '60s bigblock Mopar drivetrain. Dual 4-bbl carbs are in it's future though. :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC