MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to put delay wipers in your C and B Body  (Read 543 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How to put delay wipers in your C and B Body
« on: October 08, 2009, 03:43:43 PM »

Installing Delay wipers on a B and C Body.  On a budget

It's not rocket science. . . But it will take some electrical ability to figure the wiring.  Here's why.

You need to find a delay wiper switch that will fit your dash and keep it stock looking.  Example in Polaraco, I used one from an Aspen.  (Left to right slider)  StitcherBobit modified the activation shaft so it would go straight out the dash.  The switch was ultimately a screw in.

You can use a delay wiper motor from just about any late 70's Mopar.  Diplomat/5th Ave, Aspem/Volare, included.  They are all bolt in and the shaft is the same size as the C's.  However, if scrounging, make sure before you sneak it out of the yard.

It's best if you get the timer bob and plug from under the dash too.  Any harness sockets are a BIG plus.

If you can grab a set of wires and timer all from the same car, you need a wiring diagram for that car. 

The motor will bolt and mechanically connect right up.  The wipers will park properly, but you may have to adjust the arms slightly.

You will need some sort of a connecter for a 5th wire through the firewall if you decide to use the existing wiper wiring.  Delay wipers are 5 wire and the C & B is a 4 wire.

When working on your wiring, you may want to bench test it.  The wiper switch MUST be grounded for it to work.  Also remember to ground the motor to the same source.  There is at least 2 wires which will require grounding between the switch and the timer.

This is a good start for you.  I used a Wiper Motor, harness, and switch I got from Butch, HemiFury.  He sent me the whole harness.  But I still had to mate the connections at the bulkhead because the colors changed.  As I mentioned above, Bob modified my handle so it would go through the 72 Polara dash.    I love the feature

As we all know. . .  Delay wipers are great.  Well worth the time and effort.

POLARACO2009-10-08 20:44:48
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 07:14:09 PM »

I have all the parts to do my wagon....eventually...I robbed most of mine out of M-bodies and dodge ram trucks from the late 80's.
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 07:55:06 PM »

Just curious, is there a major difference that makes this not work for A bodies?
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 08:22:17 PM »

It's been a long time since I did a wiper motor on an A.  Is it the same motor as a C?

Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 10:42:36 PM »

Thanks Steve!
ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 11:23:47 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
It's been a long time since I did a wiper motor on an A.  Is it the same motor as a C?

Not sure myself.  

So, your mention of B&C didn't exclude A, you just don't know for sure?
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 04:57:28 AM »

That is correct.  If it uses the same motor, then chances are, yes.  I thought it was a smaller motor on the A's

Butch Houghton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 06:14:44 AM »

The wiper motor mounting to the firewall is the same for all cars as far as I can tell up to at least the say the Dippy's,  FWD cars I don't know.   Same 3-bolt pattern for all A-B-C & E's.  The Aspen was the same pattern.

2 & 3 speed motors are the same bolt pattern & the delay motor looks just like a 2-speed ( if in fact it maybe is just that with a delay switch )  So bolting up isn't an issue.  Only issue would be the wiper transmission to the motors hookup where there is some differences.    Early cars had solid brass bushings & clips & the later cars had the Nylon snap-in bushings ( the ones that fall apart! ) but some mixing & matching should take care of that.  I think all you'd need to do is swap the motor arm to transmission for your style & that's it.

Butch

68 Dart GT - 394 Stroker/6 Pack
70 Fury Gran Coupe - 472 Hemi
70 Sport Fury - 383 Magnum FK5
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC