MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Timing chain line-up  (Read 564 times)

attkrlufy

• View Profile
Timing chain line-up
« on: October 05, 2009, 06:11:03 PM »

I don't think I screwed things up...but I don't think I helped myself, either.  I'm replacing the timing set on my 360 and after removing the harmonic balancer and timing cover I find this is my situation:

If you can see, the timing mark on the cam sprocket is at around 8 o'clock and the timing mark on the crank sprocket is at around 3 o'clock.  I thought I had reached TDC on #1 cyl. but I guess I was wrong.

So here's my question.....can I just pull the timing set and then replace it with the replacement set - making sure the timing marks are in the same place, or should I try....somehow.....to rotate the crank 1/4 turn to the L to get the timing marks to line up at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock respectively?
1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Timing chain line-up
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 06:59:40 PM »

There are two little dots on the two gears.  You have to line them up.  Lower gear points up and upper gear points down.  It's just a little zero.  You need to clean the crud off that one to see them.

If you are replacing the chain and gears, you could line them up later.  The 318 and 360 have valve relief
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Timing chain line-up
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 08:12:01 PM »

you have to start by lining them up....rotate the crank with the bolt back in the snout until #1 is TDC and you will be sure that everything is right where it is supposed to be (pull all the spark plugs to make it easier)

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

firedome

• View Profile
Timing chain line-up
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 02:45:33 AM »

Make sure to check the cover for corrosion holes  - coolant leaking in has been known to happen!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Timing chain line-up
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 03:06:08 AM »

Quote from: attkrlufy

If you can see, the timing mark on the cam sprocket is at around 8 o'clock and the timing mark on the crank sprocket is at around 3 o'clock. 
I'm shocked that it ran at all!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Timing chain line-up
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 06:39:07 AM »

It doesn't work that way

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Timing chain line-up
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 09:08:40 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
It doesn't work that way

What doesn't?
What is "it"?  

firedome

• View Profile
Timing chain line-up
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 10:27:28 AM »

"what is it?" That's what Monica said.
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Timing chain line-up
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 11:41:06 AM »

No she said she needed the Hubble

He didn't inhale. . .  She didn't. . . . . . . . .

If you spin the engine around enough times. the marks will come back to TDC.  It has to go through the 32 cycles to do so.  Or is it 16.  I forget

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Timing chain line-up
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 03:45:29 PM »

remove distributor cap and look for rotor lining up on #1 plug terminal while turning it over.

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

attkrlufy

• View Profile
Timing chain line-up
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 04:12:48 PM »

Quote from: Commando1
I'm shocked that it ran at all!

Maybe I wasn't clear, sorry.  The engine is timed perfectly fine - I missed TDC on cylinder 1 by a 1/4 turn of the crank (I thought I had it....I guess not  ).  My question is:  can I simply pull the two gears AS IS and just replicate where each dot is (8 o'clock and 3 0'clock respectively) when I put the replacement set in, or should I spin the crank to get the timing marks to line up facing each other at 6 and 12 o'clock and then pull 'em?

Quote from: POLARACO
If you spin the engine around enough times. the marks will come back to TDC.  It has to go through the 32 cycles to do so.  Or is it 16.  I forget

So I can't just spin the crank backwards to get the dots to line up?  Honestly, I don't understand.  If the timing marks line up when both shafts are moving clockwise, why won't they line up going counter-clockwise?  Does it damage the engine somehow, or something?
1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Timing chain line-up
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 04:57:26 PM »

I said that earlier.

Yes You can align it after you take the gears off.  If the push rods are still out, it's better.  Take the plugs out too.

Butch Houghton

• View Profile
Timing chain line-up
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 05:05:15 AM »

You only need to go no more than 2 revolutions to get a timing chain lined up.   They're either right on the first or 180 degrees out,  one more & you would have it.

You do have to make sure it's on the compression stroke though.    You can turn it over with the bolt in & stick your finger in the # 1 plug hole & feel for the compression.  Watch the dots to see if they come up in line.  Or if you want stick the timing cover on with 2 bolts & put the damper back on temporarily to get a visual on exactly where you are while still feeling for compression.

The bottom line is...if you can spin it & the dots DO line up ( take a straightedge & hold it across the bolts for crank & cam to check ) then it probably is really OK & not slipped.   The Cam & crank gears are on keyways & if the dot come up right then everythings still in time & you can change right there.  Using the straightedge if it was off you'd see it right away.  I just prefer to make sure of TDC at the same time but this would work.

And yes you can back it all up & come at it again,    back a good 1/2 revolution to let everything re-set ( take back up the slack in the chain ) & come back to line up.

2 complete revolutions of the engine is 1 cycle ( 720 degrees ) & the cam & distributor run at 1/2 that.

68 Dart GT - 394 Stroker/6 Pack
70 Fury Gran Coupe - 472 Hemi
70 Sport Fury - 383 Magnum FK5
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC