MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's my compression ratio  (Read 3178 times)

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
What's my compression ratio
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2010, 08:41:11 PM »

I am very familiar with the lifter bleed off..
My Diplomat's 318  takes a lickin and keeps on tickin'..LOL!
Thanks for the consultation Ed.
I can upgrade the rockers later on.
I can get away using my old pushrods and rockers for now.
The work I am getting done is costing me as it is so far.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Guests

« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2010, 08:52:48 PM »

I hear you there on the cost, and sometimes the good toys, if you can't see them and don't really need them, well, I live without them, too, when I have to.

Why do you think I think I know so much? Too cheap to allow anyone else to do things, and in the past, when I did, turned out it cost more than it should have, ended up redoing half of it later, turned out they knew less than me to begin with over the years, and I had a good mentor/teacher/machinist/inventor that taught this little padawan well.

glen cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2010, 05:50:52 AM »

Here are the shims that were mentioned. http://store.440source.com/Rocker-Shaft-Shims-pkg-of-30/productinfo/127-1020/ I have made some out of brass stock i got from princess auto. It might be an idea to get some of the adjustable pushrods if those shims don't cut it. http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=category&level0=QmlnIEJsb2NrICA0MTMtNDI2LTQ0MCAoUmFpc2VkIERlY2sp&level1=UHVzaHJvZHM=&partid=11091

Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2010, 06:29:55 AM »

Thanks,Glen!!
Certainly an excellent option to consider.
$169.00 versus $600.00 to do the same job.
CBarge2010-02-15 11:43:39
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2010, 06:45:51 AM »

You can buy an adjustable checking pushrod from Comp to figure out the length that you need, and they will make you a set for not much more than the stock length ones they sell. However,  the amount of metal they removed from your block and heads will be made up by using the thicker blue Felpro head gaskets (.039" thick as opposed to the factory steel ones that are .020 thick) so you can reuse your old ones. I would  try a set of these heavy duty factory type rockers to replace your worn old ones - they will be more than adequate for any street engine. I have used these in several builds including my own, and they're only a hundred bucks:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar+Performance/312/P4529743/10002/-1

krautmaster2010-02-15 11:48:30

Guests

« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2010, 09:20:40 AM »

All good options guys.

Stewart Van Petten

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2010, 09:45:31 AM »

[/QUOTE]

Kind of coming in late on this one but I may have a few things useful to add.

If you are not racing the engine these rockers will be more than enough. Even if you are running an after market cam and having a little bit of fun with it they will work well unless you are using a fairly high lift cam.

I built a few 440s over the years. Looking at the OP's parts list I noticed that he is using almost the exact same parts for his bottom end as a few of our projects (pistons, rings, bearings) . My brother and I tried a few different cam combinations for one of our 440s. The first cam was not much better than stock. It was classed as an "RV" cam. This was not what we were after for a street/strip machine. The cam that we really liked was a Crane Fireball. It idled with a bit of a lope but still made good torque for streetability. It started to turn on  around 2200 rpm and ran strong to around 5500 rpm. I am sure that there are many more cam choices now for the big block Dodge engine. If I had the budget I would look into roller cams for this engine. I have found that street roller cams give a guy great bottom end and also an element of fuel economy. I usually don't care as much about fuel economy in a toy but sometimes that is also a focus for a person's hobby machine.

Good luck with your project!
Polaraco made me do it
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC