MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two Pushrod questions  (Read 563 times)

attkrlufy

• View Profile
Two Pushrod questions
« on: September 21, 2009, 03:42:07 AM »

I took them out of my 360 (to clean them) and kept them in "order" (front to back) in case their oder is not interchangeable.  But are they?  Could I just plop the front-most one into the rear-most slot?

Also, does it matter which end is up?  Some of them seem like they have a little nub or nipple at one end - but others don't.  Does this mean anything?

Thanks.
1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Two Pushrod questions
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 04:57:42 AM »

Lifters, pushrods, and rocker arms, if not being replaced, need t go back intothe same location.

Stock small block pushrods should have identical ends so there is no up or down, per se.  Sounds like you should replace yours.  And for cheap insurance, the lifters also.
You're talking leass than a hundred bucks total for pushrods and lifters.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Two Pushrod questions
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 07:09:01 AM »

either someone has been in there and changed a few, or they wore their ends funny....I agree with Stan and change 'em out

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Snotty

• View Profile
Two Pushrod questions
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 10:06:16 AM »

If the ends are different, absolutely replace them. 

In the future use a shoebox or similar.  Make 16 holes, 8 in one row and 8 in a parallel row, and push the rods into them, marking where they came from.  Do the same with the lifters as you pull them out.  Use old, plastic ice cube trays and mark each spot.  If you replace the liftrers and rods this is not necesary.  However, for the next time....
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Two Pushrod questions
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 10:12:34 AM »

May as well look at the wear on the cam at this point. . .   No sense putting a new set of lifters on a worn cam.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Two Pushrod questions
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 10:14:04 AM »

And while you're changing out the cam....

glen cyr

• View Profile
Two Pushrod questions
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 12:02:57 PM »

I know what you are talking about with the ends. Most have a welded on round (nib) on both ends,BUT..some are machined with just a round end! Usually the machined ones will have a spiral marking all the way down the pushrod shafts. Believe it or not,these are usually stronger than the others! These were usually replacements depending on the year as the small block pushrods are prone to bending because of the bad lifter angle! I have used both and they should be fine. The shinnier end is usually on the rocker arm side! Roll them down a piece of glass as this is how i check for bent pushrods! Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

attkrlufy

• View Profile
Two Pushrod questions
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 08:42:55 AM »

Quote from: owatajrkiam
I know what you are talking about with the ends. Most have a welded on round (nib) on both ends,BUT..some are machined with just a round end! Usually the machined ones will have a spiral marking all the way down the pushrod shafts. Believe it or not,these are usually stronger than the others!

That's exactly it - some of the rods have a spiral, machined look and others don't.  I didn't notice a corellation with that and the tips - but it's probably there.  Good to know.  They're all straight and only slightly scuffed - I'll keep 'em  "as is," for now.

I don't think I'll replace the lifters, either, as they look good.  The cam looks fine, too - no pitting or worn lobes.

Quote from: Snotty
In the future use a shoebox or similar.  Make 16 holes, 8 in one row and 8 in a parallel row, and push the rods into them, marking where they came from.  Do the same with the lifters as you pull them out.  Use old, plastic ice cube trays and mark each spot

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Two Pushrod questions
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 10:17:21 AM »

I'm wondering if maybe it popped a chain at one time and got the valves.  Could be why you see a mix. . .

I've been known not to save the order unless there was something really worn in one or two cylinders.  I never had an issue
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
Two Pushrod questions
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 10:38:17 AM »

Quote from: attkrlufy

It was my Dad's idea, but thanks just the same!  It was something he learned in the Air Force working on Radial motors.  He always marked EVERYTHING! 
It's green here in Chico!!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Two Pushrod questions
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 05:42:21 PM »

Mark egg cartons "FRONT" and keep the lifters and other small parts in the order of cylinders...

the spare 2 compartments are for the crank key, bolt and cam bolt, fuel pump eccentric..etc

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

firedome

• View Profile
Two Pushrod questions
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 03:45:05 AM »

Good advice from all... Dominic, I've heard that motor run, I wouldn't
have thought it'd need lifters or pushrods, much less a cam... if the
oil was changed regularly, why all the mechanical work? I do recall
that it needed some igntion and/or carb work though.  Roger in
Bingo...  PS stop down if yer in the 'hood... I may have a new
project soon!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

attkrlufy

• View Profile
Two Pushrod questions
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 05:51:53 PM »

Quote from: firedome
Dominic, I've heard that motor run, I wouldn't have thought it'd need lifters or pushrods, much less a cam... if the oil was changed regularly, why all the mechanical work?

I've been asking myself that lately, as well.   

I didn't replace the rockers or cam - just clean 'em.  The main reason I'm taking everything apart is that almost all the seals and gaskets are shot.  So I'm cleaning/replacing as much of the internals as I can, since I have to take everything apart to get at the gaskets, anyway.  Fortunately the tough ones - exhaust, head, and rear main - look okay.....for now.

Quote from: firedome
I do recall that it needed some igntion and/or carb work though.  Roger in Bingo...  PS stop down if yer in the 'hood... I may have a new project soon!

I'm gonna try to when I can.  Hopefully this jigsaw puzzle will be together by the spring.  Just in time for cruisin' down NY-96. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC