MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for any info on the 400ci (74')  (Read 589 times)

zerolux

• View Profile
Looking for any info on the 400ci (74')
« on: June 17, 2009, 04:53:01 PM »

So i created a intro thread in the noob section and got some helpful answers.  i wanted to try and get some more info on some of those points and felt it more appropriate to start a thread in the technical section.  I have a 1974 Newport with the 400ci and the 2bbl Holley.  If anyone can offer any info, or links, i would greatly appreciate the help.  Any info would be great, really, i can't find much of anything online.  I also listed a few things below that i had some specific questions about, thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

• oil capcity
  • links to info/parts for the Holley 2bbl or....
  • is there a common 4bbl swap? (someone mentioned it in my intro thread, any help would be awesome)
  • source for a good service manual
thanks in advance.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 05:24:54 PM »

• oil capcity
5 Quarts with filter  Low mileage go with 10/W40  Higher Mileage go with 15/W50
  • links to info/parts for the Holley 2bbl or....
You can try Rockauto.com or Summitracing.com and see if they are still available.  If not, I have a recent one which will work, you can have that rebuilt.  Mine looks like new on the outside.  It's sitting on top of a 400.  Summit is also a good source for the following response as well
  • is there a common 4bbl swap? (someone mentioned it in my intro thread, any help would be awesome
My personal opinion is an Edlerbrock intake and 650 CFM carb.  If going that route, make sure you get the electric choke and the mopar linkage adaptor.  I am sure Snotty will chime in here eventually, but I believe he did his 440 with a 750 CFM and jetted it down a tad.  But if going this route, I would consider stepping up a notch on the cam.  You'll get more out of it and improve the MPG.
  • source for a good service manual
[/QUOTE]

Yer Velcome

POLARACO2009-06-17 22:26:37
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

zerolux

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 06:19:31 PM »

awesome info, thanks again man.  just noticed i posted this in here and not the engine forum, doh!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 06:41:20 PM »

Not a problem. . I just noticed it myself. 

We have the technology. . . .

zerolux

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 06:42:10 PM »

haha thanks man, appreciate it.  that rockauto link is awesome, that place has all kinds of crap.

as for the 4bbl swap, do i need to change the manifold or is there some sort of adapter i'll need or is it a bolt up affair?

i'll add this to the thread for anyone else looking for info.  found a thread with a bunch of info on the 2245 holley.  figured i'd share.

http://www.ihonlynorth.com/forums/carb-tech/511-holley-22xx-series-carb-stuff.html

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 07:24:58 PM »

Good Ol' Internationals

Yes you need to change the intake to put a 4 Barrell on.  I suggest you avoid the Holly Carb and stay with an Elderbrock or a Carter Built By Elderbrock.  Both are similar.  The Hollys will drive you crazy after a while.  When they go bad. . Oh Boy.  But that's my O2.  Having messed with both numerous times, the Elder always comes out as a winner.  Most of us here on the Forum prefer the Elder.

You can find the Elderbrock on Summitracing.com.  They seem to be the best all around supplier.  Great service and great support.

When choosing a Cam and Intake, decide what you want the engine to do.  If you are looking for Performance, MPG, daily driver. . . If you are going daily, use a low to mid range torque.  If you really want to go crazy, look at the Crane roller cam setups.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 06:01:25 AM »

The 400 is a good motor, but often ignored by Mopar fans.  It had the largest pistons of any Mopar motor, so it is growing as a candidate for stroking.  With a little machine work a 440 crank can be installed and - Viola! - you have a 451!!  Whoo-hoo!

Steve is correct, I did swap to an Eddy set-up and instantle gained 2 MPG plus better performance.  However, I needed to jet it up, not down.  It is a 750, but it would not stop pinging with the factory set jets.  Edelbrock tends to set their carbs lean.  I bought the adjustment kit and chaged the jets and springs - with the help of Chris "the Doctor."  Now it runs well and wants to "ping" only on the hottest of days.

Enjoy!
It's green here in Chico!!

Butch Houghton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 05:20:42 AM »

The worst problem with a Stock 400 is the factory compression.   It's listed usually about 8.5 but more likely even lower.

A decent cam & Eddy intake & carb will still wake it up.

And they do make good strokers,   A buddy's 451 pushed his 66 Belvedere ( all steel ) to low 11's & now it's back on the street with just a cam change.

Butch

68 Dart GT - 394 Stroker/6 Pack
70 Fury Gran Coupe - 472 Hemi
70 Sport Fury - 383 Magnum FK5

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 02:06:38 PM »

The 400 has an incredibly strong block and a very large bore, perfect for building a stroker. But the way they came from the factory leaves a lot to be desired: The pistons are very far down in the hole to lower the compression ratio, but this caused a total loss of any quench it might have had, causing the motor to be prone to detonation. To help counter this tendency the factory retarded the camshaft timing by 4 degrees.

These changes dropped the power level 1/3 from the levels of the old 383 2bbl it replaced. So if you only put a 4 bbl carb on it your not fixing any of the inherent problems, and a new cam will only make it detonate even more.  If you want it to run right it needs a complete rebuild with new pistons that come up to the top of the block, a new cam and timing set, 4 bbl intake manifold and carb, HP exhaust manifolds or headers and free flowing dual exhaust.  Begining to get expensive now isn't it? If your going to go with this motor, then spend a little more and put in a stroker kit.  The cheapest way to go is to find older (pre '72)  383 or 440 that already has the go fast goodies built in to it.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC