MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: POLARACO Updated 4-14-08  (Read 5742 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 07:15:51 AM »

Think Bigger James. . .Think Bigger

That was a green top
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Mike

• View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 07:59:59 AM »

Bingo Steve.

Part of the Jersey Mob.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2007, 02:51:54 PM »

*  Checks his list of things to strike off *

Cosmetic
Sun Visor Clips installed
Front Seat Trims
Chrome Arm rest backs installed
Carpet and trim Trunk

Body
Take car back to body shop to repair 3 rust spots blossoming LR 1/4
Repaint header. .  (My Fault)

Mechanical
DONE!  PERFECT   Replace Front Sway bar bushings with better ones.  If that fails, put old sway bar back in.
At shop right now    Send car out to have the drive shaft angle checked for trueness horizontally.  I just don't have the facilities to see it.  (Scheduled for Monday)
Replace RF rim which is bent.  (In Progress)
DONE!   Replace window channel (Next weekend hopefully)
DONE!   Improve LF defroster air flow  (Next weekend hopefully)

Future/optional
New Hugh's Intake on order  This will be done in about 3 weeks.  Work on more power out of the 5.2 or stroke a 5.2 block

No Leaburn. . It's not done yet.  BUT IT'S A HELLO ALLOT CLOSER THAN YOURS AND WE STARTED THEM AT THE SAME TIME!  AND I DON'T HAVE A GARAGE!!!
POLARACO2007-11-06 20:43:51

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007, 03:33:11 PM »

BTW

I finally parked some pictures of Polaraco.  More than I posted here
http://www.moparfins.com/Polaraco/Polaraco_The_Car.htm

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 02:02:52 PM »

Tomorrow I put that intake in.  Let's see if it is what they say

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2007, 02:06:17 PM »

Keep us posted!!!!

Mike

• View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007, 03:54:41 PM »

Get that CD changer in yet Steve?

Part of the Jersey Mob.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2008, 10:11:18 AM »

After several months of no floor heat, I finally fixed it!   Now my tootsies won't be so cold.

Vintage Air in a 69 to 73 C Body Mopar!

For those of you that don't know, I put a Vintage Air Mark IV Universal heat/AC system under the dash.  This is the first Vintage Air system they know of in a C Body.  I got tired of trying to make the original system work. . . . .   Heater core was bad, one leak after another under the dash, expansion valve wouldn't work right with the new style compressor.  The big one was the heater core!  Oh Well. . .Out it comes.

The vintage air system fit in there with no problems.  There is even room to spare behind the glove box.  I was able to use all the original A/C and defroster ducts.    I had to cut the defrost ducts back on the 72 system to get the hoses in.  This gave me more air to the windshield.  The defroster ducts they supply were too hard to install.  The only major modification needed was the glove box hits the unit and it's too tight to put in properly.  So ol' Stitches had an idea and he did the box over for me.  I'm just waiting for it to come back now. (Proverbial milk crate again. . .Hint Hint)  Then I can close it up permanently. 

The only other custom Mod I had to do was for the heater hoses.  I got some 1/2 inch soft copper and a few sweat elbows and soldered some fittings together so I could make a straight shot into the heater fittings with a hose nipple.  I extended the copper up into the engine compartment to make it more serviceable. and it's pretty easy to install the hoses now.   You will have to fabricate a filler plate for the AC Hoses and the heater hoses to fill the opening in the firewall.  I made mine of metal and used some polyurathane roofing cement to seal them when I screwed them to the fire wall.  If you decide to do this, you have the tips now. 

About 20 minutes after I put it in the unit stopped working.  Called for tech support and found out they had about 40 bad computers and I was a lucky one.    It was easy to change and just in time to make my appointment at the A/C shop to get the hoses made up and have it charged.  Never though of checking the floor ducts for operation.

The damper doors are operated with little stepper motors which the ECU runs.  Apparently, when I put in the new ECU, I plugged in one of the motors incorrectly.  I was off one pin and the sockets are not keyed.  That's partially because I am getting blind as a bat and always in a freakin rush!

So I took out the ash tray, glove box and center ducts to diagnose it.  Not too bad a job. . .  The unit is serviceable the way it is.  Cool!  Once I determined which stepper was not operating right, I went back to the ECU behind the glove box and fixed the problem. 

In the mean time, I had the A/C clutch coil fry on me.  When changing that on these newer compressors, the clutch apparently holds the seal.  I blew out all the freon.   I'll get it recharged next week.

When that is done, I will be toasty in the winter and chilly in the summer.

POLARACO2008-01-19 15:12:16

James Brown Jr,

• View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 12:40:21 PM »

wow that kinda sucks huh?? congrats on the heat and A/c

PS. at least you have heat lol.
176K miles 10/22

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 05:19:17 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO

Anyway. . .here's the list of things left to be done.

Cosmetic
Front Seat Trims
Carpet and trim Trunk

Body

Mechanical
NEW
Oil Leak in front of engine.  Looks like it's a dip stick tube

Future/optional
Work on more power out of the 5.2 or stroke a 5.2 block ABANDONED

Drive the damned thing

So far, in the last month  I have

Finally rewired the area where the two different harnesses meet and installed rear battery.
Replaced the rear carrier
Replaced the 4 Shocks
Installed a new radio with Serius Sat Radio (My wife wanted it)
Rebalanced front tires
adjusted drive shaft pitch and replaced broken trans mount
Adjust T Bar height
Oh there's probably more. . .

1-19-08
Sun Visor Clips installed  DONE

Replace window channel (Next weekend hopefully)  DONE
Improve LF defroster air flow  (Next weekend hopefully)  DONE 

POLARACO2008-01-20 22:20:29

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 04:34:57 PM »

Another first

This should work on 69 to 73 C Bodies.
78 Aspen/Volare Delay Wipers in a 72 Dodge Polara.  Bolt IN!

With a donation from Butch, I got a wiper motor and harness from a 78 Aspen.  This is the delay setup commonly used in that body.  I separated the wiper harness from the main harness so all I had was the wiper portion.  I sent it out to have a harness made, but with no success.  He returned the wiper motor and harness to me.  I had it working in an hour, and correctly.  So far, the only modification is the switch lever itself.  The Aspen lever has a step in the rod.  The 72 Polara switch shaft is straight.  Bob took the switch to a mutual friend and cut the shaft and silver soldered it together again to the correct shape and length.

The motor is the same footprint as the 2 speed motors found in the 69 to 73 C's.  Any one of those with the open cowl.  I have to look, but it may be possible in the slabs, but the switch will be a problem.  These switches slide from side to side, while most slabs rotate.

So far, the bench test works great.  The square end on the motor is correct.  Dimensionally is appears to be 100%.  As soon as the weather breaks, I am going to put it in and test it in the car.  Unless someone else want to try it.. . . (I WANT IT BACK!)

I am pretty sure this will work.  If it does, then I'll get a rebuilt motor so it looks perty.

POLARACO2008-01-21 21:39:35

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 12:55:50 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO

Cosmetic  BOB!
Front Seat Trims
Carpet and trim Trunk

Body

Mechanical
1-08
Fuel vent system for pressure in tank from fuel injection.

Future/optional
Work on more power out of the 5.2 or stroke a 5.2 block ABANDONED

Drive the damned thing

So far, in the last month  I have

Finally rewired the area where the two different harnesses meet and installed rear battery.
Replaced the rear carrier
Replaced the 4 Shocks
Installed a new radio with Serius Sat Radio (My wife wanted it)
Rebalanced front tires
adjusted drive shaft pitch and replaced broken trans mount
Adjust T Bar height
Oh there's probably more. . .

1-19-08
Sun Visor Clips installed  DONE

Replace window channel (Next weekend hopefully)  DONE
Improve LF defroster air flow  (Next weekend hopefully)  DONE 
2-17-08
Oil Leak in front of engine.  Looks like it's a dip stick tube.  Front seal. Sigh  BOTH DONE

I have been trying to get to the timing for months.  I finally got to it today.  Turns out the distributor was about 5 to 6 degrees out of sync. So I had to advance it that much.  You can't do this with a timing light.  It's eyeball only. 
I gave this to the shop next door to my business, who failed to make any changes in 2 weeks.  The set up to check the sync is a pain in the butt.  I got the distributor synced and drove the car over to Bobs.  My buddy, TJ came over and looked at the car too.  He's a Magnum guru.  He suggested I advance the distributor again by another 5 degrees to compensate for the hotter cam.

Now, for the first time, since the car was built I got  ========!!!

A lesson learned on a conversion to EFI
I have had a pressure problem in the fuel tank since day one.  The EFI system will put so much pressure in the tank it sometimes would push fuel into the charcoal canister in the front of the car.    Last fall, I put 2- 1/4" lines on the vents, looped all the way up to the package tray frame in the trunk and back out.  The tubing is pitched so any fuel in the vent lines could drain back to the tank.  I put the return lines in the middle of the tank to keep it away from the exhaust.  JIC. If I fill the tank too much, the pressure will push fuel out the vents.  I added a couple of fuel filters in the line to act as a seperator, but they fill up and fuel just keeps going.  Eventually it's starts to siphon fuel, when sitting, and leave a puddle on the ground.  Needless to say, I get gas fumes in the car frequently.  I also get a wiff of gas when I came to a stop, (partial full tank) sloshing the gas to the front of the tank.

Since I can't use the factory separator, I had to make one.  I got a steel gallon solvant can and some tubing.  I made a bracket so I can mount this to to a support brace in the trunk.  I'll re-plumb the tubing to that.  It's over at the Rad shop now to get soldered all together.  Maybe next weekend I can put it in and see what happens.

This is important info for you.  Another lesson learned.
I replaced the tank with an after market tank, it fit perfect.  But because of the fuel spilling, I started to investigate why.  It seems the the factory tank has a network of tubing from the 4 vent tubes on the front of the tank.  Looking at how the vent nipples are fastened to the new tank, I concluded the network of tubes in the tank are not there.  Now I know why the gas goes up my vents.  Moral of the story is, try to use the factory tanks whenever possible.

POLARACO2008-02-16 19:01:05

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008, 05:11:24 PM »

I got a busted spring.  Right Rear.

Now that I finally got it running right. . . .

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2008, 05:38:32 PM »

Joisey roads,Hobby's heavy foot,and a car that finally runs right= busted spring...LOL
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2008, 06:21:51 PM »

Damn Canadian springs......

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC