MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: POLARACO Updated 4-14-08  (Read 5759 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 07:12:03 PM »

Yeah
Made in Michigan

Eaton Spring just wrote back.  He went on telling me the basics about springs, mounting and so on.  Told me if the U bolts were loose, it would break in that spot.  (Around the center bolt.)  Nah  That rear isn't moving around.  It was just a bad piece of steel.

Either way, it's over the year warranty.  Probably those damned pot holes on Rt 46.  There's a bridge that is nothing but 12" patches and all the man hole covers are 3" below the surface.  Of coarse they are all on the right side of the road right in the lane.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2008, 05:12:05 PM »

That fuel pressure/separation problem I had?  Here's the solution.  Pretty simple really.  Since I took out the factory unit, I had to come up with something different.  The Magnum fuel Injection system was pushing too much fuel out the vents.  Before I made the vents better, it would push fuel into the canister up front.  I'll have 2- 5/16 tubes running from the vent nipples on the tank to this tank, then vent lines back out the trunk. This will get mounted on a support brace in the trunk and will be hidden when the trunk is finished.

POLARACO2008-03-02 22:14:20

James Brown Jr,

• View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2008, 08:12:09 AM »

looks great Steve. geez i love ingenuity.
176K miles 10/22

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2008, 12:03:02 PM »

Polaraco went to the trans shop to have the torque converter changed today.  The one I used has 140K on it and was starting to chatter with the new found power on the highway.  I guess I got too much torque out of it.

Looks like a week + as they are short handed this week.

Springs are on order . . 3 weeks before I can install them 
The rest of the vinyl needed to finish the front seat trims is on order. 1 week.
We have all the rest of the materials for the trunk.  Bob is going to custom the trunk, including a tool box built in right at the end of the trunk.

Like Brian, the list is getting shorter and shorter.  I could have done with out all these re-do's for one reason or another

Matt Aker

• View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2008, 12:14:11 PM »

Any rumors about a magazine write-up?  I think it is well deserved!  I saw on the other side that Ira's car got a little publicity, why not Polaraco?  Your car is MUCH cooler than his drag-wag...
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Brian

• View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2008, 01:05:09 PM »

Good to see things comming to an end for the Polaraco....but at least you will be pretty much DONE when your list is complete.

My list is just to get the car running and driving but I will still have a long way to go before the ol' wagon is as nice as yours Steve.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2008, 01:53:04 PM »

Quote from: MoparMatt
Any rumors about a magazine write-up?  I think it is well deserved!  I saw on the other side that Ira's car got a little publicity, why not Polaraco?  Your car is MUCH cooler than his drag-wag...

Actually, I've been dogging Mopar Action because of the incomplete interior/trunk and now the broken spring and Torque Converter.  My part will be done as the parts come in.  Problem is, I may be getting together with them sooner than I thought.  All has to do with Miss Belvedere

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2008, 01:00:50 PM »

Update 3-30-08

Torque converter is done
Fuel separator is done  No more gas fumes! and no more liquid spilling on the ground
Springs are here, but don't have the new pads yet, so they weren't done this weekend.  Maybe next week.

Now for the bad stuff

The fuel mileage has gone into the dumper.  We looked into it today and concluded the O2 Sensor has to be moved closer to the engine.  But the exhaust gases are good and all the parameters are pretty good in idle.  All that can change.  I'll get that done soon too.

In the process of working on the O2 Sensor, we managed to burn a wire in the trans harness.  Now it won't shift into OD or lock up.  I think I know which wire got toasted.  It got too late and cold to dig into it.  My buddy TJ will be here tomorrow with his official Mopar Scanner and will look into it.

I see I have a problem with that trans harness.  That's the one I DIDN't work on.  TJ!
POLARACO2008-03-30 19:49:10

Guests

POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2008, 05:11:41 PM »

Springs are done.  Here's the difference.  Car rides allot higher now in the rear and is firmer over the bumps.

This is a 4 leaf vs. 5 leaf from Alcan.  There are a few things I see I liked.  The spring retainers are rivited to the spring for one thing.  Not theose crappy wrap arounds.  The seconmd thing is he painted the springs separately so there is paint in between the leaves.  As you can see the Eaton springs are oozing rust out all over the place.  And they are about 18 months on the road.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2008, 09:52:43 AM »

Here's an odd one maybe you guys have an answer for.

What started this quest on the rear springs was a clunk.  It was loud and heavy but definitely on the right side.  Initially I thought it was a bad shock, then a spring.  It was hard to pinpoint exactly where it was.  It sounded like it was in the rear, which made me look at th rear springs.  I thought they were the problem given the way they were puckered and appeared to be broken, but apparently not.  After replacing them with the above, the clunk was greatly reduced.

Last night we were chatting about it on the chat box.  Everything we talked about was everything I already looked at, including the body bushings, which I really could use new ones of.

This morning I looked at the car sitting at the curb and thought about how much the pitch had changed with the new springs.  It dawned on me that maybe the rake being returned to the car may have put more pressure on the front T Bars.  So I measured them and found the Right Front to be too low.  So I raised the RF T Bar back up.  Drove the car, and it's all but gone now.

I have no idea why this simple thing caused the noise.  The only thing I can think of is there isn't enough grease in the socket on the cross member and it's binding. 

Any other ideas?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2008, 01:46:37 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO

Here's the progress from the original list with the new stuff added

Cosmetic
Sun Visor Clips installed
Front Seat Trims
Chrome Arm rest backs installed
Carpet and trim Trunk

Body
Take car back to body shop to repair 3 rust spots blossoming LR 1/4
Repaint header. .  (My Fault)

Mechanical
Find out why the MPG went into the dumper.  (Having the O2 sensor moved this week closer to the engine. 4-08)
Replace RF rim which is bent.  (In Progress)  Gets new wheels and Tired tomorrow 4-7-08

Drive the damned thing

So far, this is what has been done since this thread started. Most of this has been done over the winter

Finally rewired the area where the two different harnesses meet and installed rear battery.
Replaced the rear carrier
Replaced the 4 Shocks
Installed a new radio with Serius Sat Radio (My wife wanted it)
Rebalanced front tires
adjusted drive shaft pitch and replaced broken trans mount
Replace Front Sway bar bushings with better ones.  If that fails, put old sway bar back in.
Send car out to have the drive shaft angle checked for trueness horizonatally.  I just don't have the facilities to see it.  (Scheduled for Monday)
Replace window channel (Next weekend hopefully)
Improve LF defroster air flow  (Next weekend hopefully)
Replaced Rear Springs
 Adjust T Bar height
Replaced Shocks
Installed Hughs intake manifold
Replaced front crank seal
Repaird floor air in the Vintage Air box

Phew!  This is allot of work!  But it's almost there

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2008, 03:19:16 PM »

Well I had a scare.

But first, I learned that Moog lower control arm bushings are junk.  I changed the RF lower control arm Thursday.  What a difference.  The clunk is gone too.  (It would help if you grease the hell out of the T Bars and sockets  )  There is not quite 11,000 miles on them.

While in there, I discovered the new wheel had rubbed through the RF brake hose.  It was through to the reinforcment cords.  YIKES!  Changed that today and was able to strp it back to the frame.  Phew!

Tomorrow I will redo the trans mounts with a softer material so it won't vibrate so much.  The trans guy made the new mounts and used a rubber too hard and dropped the tail shaft about 1/4" so I get a shaft vibration.

Matt Aker

• View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2008, 03:44:39 PM »

Soft brake lines in the front usually have a subtle coil in them to compensate for length.  My front drum cars had a reverse turn before the cylinder.  Check the other side Steve, it's for yer safety.
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2008, 04:49:31 PM »

Yep  Did already Matt.   Thanks.  That was the first thing I looked at when I discovered the right hose.

I guess I had the hose set off a tooth in the holder on that side.  It wasn't an issue until I put the new wheels on.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
POLARACO Updated 4-14-08
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2008, 08:39:19 AM »

Did the brake hose in 30 minutes.  That's done

I had the O2 sensor moved last week and clocked the mileage.  I have to see this again, but I drove it 55 miles and put 2.8 gallons in it.  That worked out to 19.6 MPG vs. 10 to 12.  That was about 30 miles highway.

Now I am pretty sure this is accurate.  I wrote down the mileage this time.

The O2 sensor is now where I told him to put it in the first place.  

POLARACO2008-04-14 13:41:17
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC