MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: It's officially summer here  (Read 466 times)

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
It's officially summer here
« on: June 23, 2009, 07:09:21 PM »

The last couple of months there have been plenty of afternoon and evening drives in the convertible, but yesterday it was nice enough to put the top down at 7:30 AM!
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 11:37:42 AM »

Quite the opposite of here.  After a very nice and cool May and June, it's supposed to hit 105* this weekend.  The top goes back up and the AC comes on!!!

Yes, it's HOT here in the BAKE!
It's green here in Chico!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 12:09:12 PM »

I never understood the attraction of convertables.  It's either too hot or too cold or "put the top up, you're messing my hair".
But then again, I've spent my entire life either in New England, or Florida, the two worst places to own one.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 12:56:23 PM »

Quote from: Commando1
I never understood the attraction of convertables.  It's either too hot or too cold or "put the top up, you're messing my hair".

And you've never had the misfortune to complain about your hair getting messed up, right?

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 03:22:09 PM »

Hair loss = high testosterone = virility

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 05:05:11 PM »

Quote from: Commando1
Hair loss = high testosterone = virility

Maybe it's the durby
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 10:58:49 AM »

There's nothing better than driving my Newport on a nice evening/night with the top down!  Wind in the hair?  Frances brings a hair ribbon.  I wear a hat, but I d love it.

Three eyars ago I drove to the small town of North San Juan, Nevada County, California, fr a 150th celebration of the UMC there.  I was the paster from '87-'91, along with teh UMC's in Downieville and Sierra City - both in Sierra County.  I drove to Truckee, put the top down, and continued to Sierra City.  What a wonderful ride!  The next morning I drove my 85 year-old hostess to NSJ with the top up - it did get cold that night.  On the return trip - 44 miles from NSJ back to SC in the beautiful Tahoe National Forest on two-lane Historic Highway 49 - I put the top down before we left.  Mid-way, Billie turned to me and said, "I'm 85 years old and this is my first Convertable ride. If I had known these were so fun I would have insisted Link buy one years ago!" 

I received a Christmas Card from Bille last year, now 88.  In it she wrote, "I still rememebr our ride in your beautiful car!  What a joy!"

That's what ragtops are all about!  Impractible?, yes.  Cold?, yes.  Hot?, yes.  Windy?, yes.  Small back seat?, who cares?  Fun?  Hell yes!

300rag

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 05:13:03 PM »

Quote from: Snotty
There's nothing better than driving my Newport on a nice evening/night with the top down!  Wind in the hair?  Frances brings a hair ribbon.  I wear a hat, but I d love it.

Amen brother Scott
1965 Chrysler 300 convertible 413/ 4 speed ; 1969 Monaco 3-seat wagon 383/727 ; 1969 Monaco 500 2-door 318/727

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 11:26:13 PM »

Small back seat?   Ok, I suspose compared to a hardtop, but I think even a convertible C-body still has more room than most.   ;)

It is a little cool in the winter, but I don't tend to drive it much then anyway.

Only real complaint is a little too much wind noise with the top up, and some occasional water drips.  I suspect that a couple hundred dollars worth of weatherstrip would help with both.

1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 08:20:43 PM »

Don't leave yer top down now Snotty.....yer seats will melt.  It's 106 F today......my head almost melted.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 10:53:28 AM »

You right there Steve!  We went to the Blaze game last night - 104* at game time (7:50) and 94* at the end of the game (10:35).  My car is in the garage!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 10:56:59 AM »

Quote from: D Cluley
Small back seat?  

Yes, whevever I take people with me they always complain about the lack of leg-room.  With 3 people they complain about being cramped.  You wouldn't think so with the size of the car....

As for wind noise, I fully agree.  Having rented a number of newer Chrysler ragtops, I do wish the older ones had the dual-lined tops like the new ones do.  They are alomst as quiet as a full sized sedan with the top up.

The tops go down easier also!  You don't need to get out and move the boot!

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 10:59:53 PM »

I've never had any complaints about leg room, but you're probably taller than my 5' 8"

I want my summer back.  Yesterday's high temp was 65  
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 08:02:39 AM »

Welcome to Michigan Dan!!!!
If I had a 'vert the top would never be up!!!!! (if it rained I'd leave it in the gararge) Well I guess if I got caught in the rain I'd have to put it up but for the most part it would be down!!!!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 09:27:32 AM »

Quote from: D Cluley
I've never had any complaints about leg room, but you're probably taller than my 5' 8" 

I'm 5"11 3/4" - I never did hit 6 feet!  I push the seat all the way back though.  My legs are not that long but I've never cared for driving with my legs bent.  My knees start to hurt.  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC