MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: question about cleaning leather interior  (Read 800 times)

Jacques

• View Profile
question about cleaning leather interior
« on: June 18, 2009, 01:32:24 AM »

I recently bought a dual 4-way power adjustable 60/40 split rear bench for my daily beater. The leather has no tears and no wear, but it seems a bit dried out, and some traces of moist/mould on it.

How could I bring the leather back to a nice and clean condition? Which products should I use? What not to do?
ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 04:57:26 AM »

Sjak:  I tried this method for leather on my vinyl seats and it worked awesome so check it out.  It looks cheap enough.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4424908_restore-leather.html

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 02:39:52 PM »

Basically you use a mild soap to remove dirt, but not strong enough to leach out any residual oils. Then you need add back the natural oils to restore softness and flexibility.

My Fav are Saddle Soap for cleaning. Use a small cloth, abt 5"x5" and really work it in, use a soft brush (old toothbrush) to get the grooves. Rinse well but don't saturate. Don't let it dry too fast, ie do this indoors or at least in good shade.

Then work the leather with Neatsfoot and/or Mink Oil.

Alternately go to any boot maker or store that exclusively sells leather jackets etc. They will have cleaners and conditioners designed for leather.

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 03:01:56 PM »

Thanks! Although it's not a Mopar, the interior is really nice, and worth preserving for the next few years.

The front seats are 6-way power adjustable and on top of that have 5 independently power operated cushions each.

Here a pic from the power rear seat in the donor car, a really rare option:

A front seat out of the car:

ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 07:30:20 PM »

If you want to just clean the seats and don't care about the softness. . .  These seats look pretty new. . . Murphy's Oli Soap does a real great Job.  You'll see all sorts of dirt come out with that.  It's also excellent at cleaning furniture and wood floors.  Here it's like $3.00 USD a quart.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 04:22:53 AM »

Holy crap, Sjak.  What are those awesome seats out of??

Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 05:16:14 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
If you want to just clean the seats and don't care
about the softness. . .  These seats look pretty new. . . Murphy's Oli
Soap does a real great Job.  You'll see all sorts of dirt come out with
that.  It's also excellent at cleaning furniture and wood floors.  Here
it's like $3.00 USD a quart.
They look pretty nice, but what doesnt show on the pics is the "dryness", I want to keep it soft so it wont dry out and tear. But I'll order some of that stuff for maintenance.

Quote from: Commando1
Holy crap, Sjak.  What are those awesome seats out of??

Out of a Renault but really, these seats are very good.

My old daily (280.000 miles on it, engine is still good, but need clutch, exhaust, abs etc), my new daily (with 60.000 miles on it when I bought it) and "Big Brother". The interior comes from a donor Renault.

Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 07:45:23 AM »

OK tried to find those products here, but had to settle with some leather cleaner & conditioner from a sofa-store.

Have to figure out some wiring for the seatts, I have installed the passenger power-seat but need to wire it still.

Progress so far:

The old seats:

Bottom end of power rear seat is in the car:

16-way power passenger-seat:

rear seatback in conditioner:

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC