MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune up specs for a 69 Super Bee  (Read 565 times)

Andy

Tune up specs for a 69 Super Bee
« on: June 13, 2009, 12:42:20 PM »

Friend of mine has a 69 Super Bee and wants me to tune it up. I lost the tune up specs since I last tuned the car, it's been sitting in a garage for 4 years. I've got all the parts but need the timing, dwell, plug gap, points gap, etc.

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 05:24:31 PM »

Points gap 17 thou.
Plug gap 35 thou
initial timing at 8 degrees.
Vacuum should be around 18 inches or more
Points are gone the way of the wooden wheel--get Pertronix or electronic ignition. 
If there were any upgrades done to the motor (hotter cam,etc) the factory settings are NFG.
Get a really good timing light,with the advance feature,rev 'er up to 3000 RPM and set the timing to 35-38 degrees all in.Done.Check for ping.
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 01:12:42 PM »

[/QUOTE]So true.

I really like the adjustable Equus timing lights, I use the 5568 myself, but te 3568 is also very good and much cheaper.

ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

Andy

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 06:01:18 PM »

I've tried talking this girl into going with the Mopar electronic , but she will hear none of that! Says the car would no longer be "original!" So there's absolutely NO upgrades or changes done to the car! Also the factory service manual says TDC for timing. Eight degrees a better mark?

Here's my "new" problem. Car has been sitting since 2005 not the  2 - 3 years I thought. Got the car tuned today, new battery, new points ,plugs, condensor, wires, cap and rotor. Couldn't set/check the timing, the timing light decided to die! Car was a bit obstinate to start but after a few tries got it running. Let it warm up to temp then took it for a short ride. If I stepped on it a bit it kind of bogged, picked up , ran good then got a backfire thru the carb. I didn't have the air cleaner on and only drove it about 6 blocks or so.

Could it be timing, the carb, it's pretty dirty, no filthy greasy, crappy gas or just that I had no air filter?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 06:08:02 PM »

Sounds like the carb got gummed up or maybe got some condensation in ti one time.  That causes them to puff white inside.

Let it sit with the gas in it and see what happens tomorrow.  Timing can't bet that far off.

Popping through the carb is usually running lean.  But it also can be a stick valve or real bad cam gears.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 09:14:21 PM »

The back firing is probably caused by a lean condition from the accelerator pump being shot (they dry out and shrivel up when they are not immersed in fuel). Set the timing at 35-38 BTDC at 2800rpm with the vacuum advance unhooked and plugged. When you hook it back up you should see 50-52 BTDC at 2800 rpm.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC