MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Gremlin / Newport Question Update  (Read 11343 times)

Snotty

• View Profile
Gremlin / Newport Question Update
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2010, 04:35:04 PM »

No.  It would be great if you could like on a Mopar.  The only thing you can do is remove the fork boot and look at the throw-out.  It is certainly clearing the pressure plate and has room to move before the bearing housing.  Chris thought that was the problem when using the 11" clutch kit.  The fact that we put in a 10.5" kit and the problme persists is what is totally throwing us.

That and the sound!  There's a howling sound that happens when the gas is applied.  If I just take my foot off the clutch it's not there, but as soon as you apply power - whooooooo. 

I asked Chris if there's a possibility the driveshaft is too long.  That would account for the sound, but not the slipping.  He's not replied yet.

He feels bad; he shouldn't.  The car would not be running now if not for him, and he didn't buy the parts or put them togehter - I did.  I just wish we could learn the mystery.
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2010, 04:54:06 PM »

Drive shaft wouldn't do that unless it was pushing on the trans.  The tail shaft should have about 1 1/2" of travel to bottom.

That says the throwout bearing is still engaged partially.  If you are just resting your foot on the pedal, it's too tight.  If it's slipping, that means the bearing is still not disengaging completely.

When you attached the clutch rod to the fork, was it really hard to get in?  Without the rod, is the clutch fork sloppy a bit? 

Maybe it's the adjustment rod is too long.  Back it off and see what happens.

POLARACO2010-04-08 21:54:33
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2010, 09:39:07 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Drive shaft wouldn't do that unless it was pushing on the trans.  The tail shaft should have about 1 1/2" of travel to bottom.

Agreed, except I had the shaft custom built from an A Body shaft.  I am thinking that it is too long, but there is an inch of slip join end visable, so I'm thinking it's correct. 

That says the throwout bearing is still engaged partially.  If you are just resting your foot on the pedal, it's too tight.  If it's slipping, that means the bearing is still not disengaging completely.

We are with you, except upon viewing it is clearing.  ???

When you attached the clutch rod to the fork, was it really hard to get in?  Without the rod, is the clutch fork sloppy a bit? 

No, not hard to install, but there's a lot of adjustment available on the rod.  With the first clutch there was not much movement; with the second it was quite sloppy for which Chris was happy.  He felt for sure we had it right the second time.

Maybe it's the adjustment rod is too long.  Back it off and see what happens.

We did back it off, with both clutches, and saw no change.

Hey, I appreciate the guesses, because that's what we are all doing at this time!

Someone on an AMC forum suggested that the rear end is slipping - the yoke.  I can't beleive that as I had that third member in my Newport with no problems.   Again, ???

Stewart Van Petten

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2010, 10:24:02 AM »

I am sure that you checked this but is it possible that the throwout bearing is in backwards? One of my buddys (actually a few people I know have done it over the years lol) put one in backwards and it went togther but did not work properly. Not sure if yours will go in backwards or not...I have not worked on an AMC except to change spark plugs and small things like that.

I hope that you can figure it out before you break something.
Polaraco made me do it

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2010, 02:30:19 PM »

Problem solved!!!  It was the rear end.  The guy who made and sold me the axles made them 1/2" too short!  They would not lock into the limited-slip hub.  In the meantime, we pulled the 3.23s and put in my 2.76 open TM and all is well!!  Once I get new, correct axles we will put in the 3.55s with the LS Clutch of the 3.23s swapped in.  Big Chris is doing the work.

So, now you can view the video of the first, successful difve of the Grem Reaper!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqhbiH-FEdI

Enjoy!  View all of Jerry's links if you want.  There is one with Chris driving the Grem.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2010, 08:12:33 PM »

That was fun- getting to go with you guys on your first ride!

And I didn't even have to get a plane ticket to CA.....

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2010, 03:25:31 AM »

Quote from: Snotty

Sure didn't sound like any Rambler I ever knew.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2010, 03:45:17 AM »

Remember the SC/Rambler, AMX and Rebel Machine? AMC made some cool factory muscle back in the day...

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2010, 02:39:44 PM »

Quote from: Commando1
Quote from: Snotty

Sure didn't sound like any Rambler I ever knew.

Exactly what someone said to us on Rosedale Highway when we were driving it!  We put 115 miles on it in three hours while stopping at people's homes!  Whoo-hoo!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2010, 02:40:42 PM »

[/QUOTE]

It's a fun video isn't it Bob? 

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2010, 02:41:27 PM »

Quote from: firedome
Remember the SC/Rambler, AMX and Rebel Machine? AMC made some cool factory muscle back in the day...

Amen to that!!!

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2010, 09:30:22 PM »

Finally got to watch.  Very nice video.  I like big cars, but there's something to be said for being able to U turn in an intersection. :)
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2010, 07:01:49 PM »

Quote from: D Cluley
Finally got to watch.  Very nice video.  I like big cars, but there's something to be said for being able to U turn in an intersection. :)

AMC bragged that the Gremlin could turn inside the radius of a VW bug circle - they weren't lying!

Stewart Van Petten

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2010, 02:59:07 PM »

Yee haa! How is it running now that you have a few miles on it? Does it need more fine tuning? Is the clutch holding properly with all that torque on tap? Hope you have lots of fun with it this season!
Polaraco made me do it

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2010, 07:20:55 AM »

Cluthc is holding well, but we do look forward to being able to put the 3.55s in - taking off with the tall gears is an experience!

It now has 508 miles and we will change the oil tonight.  Had one problem: the fan blade spun off of out electric motor.  ???  Going to remove the shroud and fix it tonight when we change the oil.

I need to post some newer pictures. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC