MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: all the dash electronics...1968 furyIII  (Read 738 times)

Grady

• View Profile
all the dash electronics...1968 furyIII
« on: June 05, 2009, 04:59:39 PM »

Hey everyone I just bought my first mopar project...1968 plymouth fury III with the 318 2 barrell...good solid running car, got a problem though.  none of my dash mounted features work...blower switch, wipers, washer.  none of the factory gauges work...fuel, temp, or the factory volt meter.  just wondering if all of this could be connected or what...the blinkers don't work neither do the flashers, the brake, tail, and headlights all work however...i know a good place to start would be the fuse panel, but i was just wondering if all the problems i listed had some sort of common denominator or something...preciate it guys! 

RATrodder

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 05:46:55 PM »

Yes, the bulkhead connectors are notorious for the "green death".  Corrosion and/or toasty connectors from resistance by said corrosion.

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 08:04:51 PM »

WELCOME!!
Thanks for joining up.
You have come to the right place!!

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 11:50:56 PM »

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 06:11:37 AM »

MMMMM

as far as the accessories are concerned, check the ignition switch out.  All that stuff comes off the accessory side of the switch.

The dash lights could be the dimmer.

Lemme guess.  The wiring under the dash has been hacked. . . .

We have another member who just went through a bunch of things on a 68.  He'll be around soon.  I would invest in a wiring diagram.  When you locate the problem, we'll walk you through the rest.

[color=#33ff00 size=7]WELCOME[/color]
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Grady

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 04:46:25 PM »

thanks you guys i appreciate it.  yes the dash wiring has been hacked...not too badly though...i am really confused about the turn signals though...i dont hear the flasher engaging or anything when the turn signal is engaged,,,i am a rat rodder by rep so i dont have a problem tearing in and rewiring everything...however i would rather keep as much of the factory harness as possible.  thanks for all of the welcomes folks...will post a pic as i roll with it.

RATrodder

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 05:00:24 PM »

we'll keep a light on for you
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 07:31:02 AM »

Polaraco, you know me too well. How could I stay away from this one?

So, someone's having wiring issues with a 1968 Fury? It's like Deja Vu all over again. As Michael Corleone said in The Godfather III, "Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in." Just kidding. I'm more than happy to offer any guidance I can. Without these guys, I'd still be scratchin' my head!

Welcome to the forum! Here you will find the most helpful group of Mopar enthusiasts on the internet. You'll be so glad you found this site.

1) First things first: Get yourself a Factory Service Manual for 1968. The information contained within is invaluable ESPECIALLY if your wiring has been 'modified'.

2) Has the car been sitting for very long? Did the previous owner have this same problem?

3) The bulkhead connector is a great place to start, but unless you find a phenomenal amount of corrosion, I don't think that will be the sole cause of your problems. I say this because you state that it is a "good solid running car". Regardless a good, thorough cleaning will not hurt. It won't be easy. Get some really small files and clean each contact the best you can.

While you're in there, look for evidence of overheated wires. Another problem common to bulkhead connectors and, more specifically, to the Ammeter (not voltmeter) wire. All the current for the entire vehicle runs though that one wire. A definite weak link. Be sure to check out CBarge's excellent "Bypassing the ammeter gauge 101" thread here in the electrical section. Consider it 'Must Read'.

4) I don't have my book at hand, but I seem to remember a 5-wire splice in the wiring that commons up a lot of the dash items, but I don't believe it was all-encompassing. Off the top of my head I can't think of any one commonality that would cause your entire dash board to be dead and still allow the car to run.

5) Do your blue dashboard lights still work? Can you dim them with the dimmer control? If your interior lights work, does this same control allow you to tun them on/off? Does your high beam indicator dash light work? Before starting the engine, when you turn the the key to the On position does the Oil light come on?

6) See Number 1!

Do some more investigation and record exactly what does and doesn't work. Let us know what you find.

Uncle Hulka

Uncle Hulka2009-06-15 07:07:28
Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1968 Plymouth Sport Fury Conv w/Factory 440HP
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 w/Original B07 Police Package
1970 Chevelle 396

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 09:45:26 PM »

Check to see that the dash has a good ground connection to the firewall. Also verify with a continuity tester that the various fuses are good. I've fuses that look mint but were open.

Also, I think you can find some wiring diagrams over at Mymopar.com

Fury4402009-06-15 02:49:03
Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC