MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This may seem dumb, but...  (Read 446 times)

Andy

This may seem dumb, but...
« on: June 01, 2009, 07:10:23 PM »

...where do you guys go to get all the nuts and bolts to put these cars back together?

When I got my car back from the people who took it apart, I got none of the nuts, bolts or screws for the exterior sheet metal or interior dash parts. I've cleaned, polished, painted or primed most all the parts and I'm getting ready to try and put the 300 back together but have no screws, bolts, nuts, washers or shims for the sheetmetal!

Just run to the home center store and buy an assortment of nuts, bols amd screws, or something else?

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 02:52:14 AM »

Forget the big box stores like Lowes and Home Depot.  Their selection SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I use one of several local hardware stores that have a gazillion drawer display.
I am EXTREMELY fortunate in that I have locally  a hardware store that caters to commercial accounts.  All the DPW's, factorys, farms & ranches, and the airport go there for literally anything you need from a John Deere to a Cessna.  For automotive specialty parts, my local AUTO BODY supply store stocks the rest. 

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 04:53:36 AM »

TSC and similar farm stores are often excellent for grade 5 and grade
8, they sometimes even have them on sale by the pound! 

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 08:57:55 AM »

There's a place in Bakersfield neamed "Budget Bolt."  When I ahve needed any new nuts/bolts for suspension parts, I head straight there.  For interior screws, and for parts needed for a motor I go to my local parts supplier, specifically Oildale Auto Parts.
If you don't have such places easilly available to you, there are many Mopar-specific websites that seel them.  Year One has a long list, but for limited makes.  There are other sites on the web as well.  Do a search and you will not be dissapointed. 
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 10:31:46 AM »

You can find an Auveco dealer locally too.  Auveco reproduces allot of the body bolts, nuts and screws Mopars use.  Stuff isn't cheap, but where it can be seen, it's worth the extra expense.

That's the good thing about tearing parts cars apart.  You save all that crap.  I have a stone pollisher I throw all that stuff in and tumble it for a week or so with some sand.  Bolts come out looking like new.

One word of warning about the Auveco. . . Make sure you buy the right grade steel for the job.  Their Galv plated stuff isn't that great. 

You can also check out Tractor Supply.  I have an industrial hardware store here with my own account.  OK  So I'm spoiled
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 01:37:57 PM »

Thats a good question Tranch!!! Remember there are no stupid questions only dumb mistakes!!! When Dan C did my speedo we found that the horn ring and some other things were held on with what looked like wood screws!!!! (and still are!!)
The guy that did my car before me was a hack at some things. I wish I would of had more input at the time but now when I find stuff I usually change it to more correct fasteners if it shows.

glen cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 04:45:00 PM »

For a lot of hard to find screws and bolts try these guy's,...GREAT selection! http://www.mrgusa.com/

Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »

Quote from: owatajrkiam
For a lot of hard to find screws and bolts try these guy's,...GREAT selection! http://www.mrgusa.com/

Glen

Yup bought a complete kit for the 68 B-body rag I restored years ago...top notch and came with EVRY not bolt screw I could ever imagine....still have a few dozen in the old tool box from that kit.

And as stated above do a search for kits on E-bay...they usualy have body, under hood, interior kits available.  But they usualy just resell from one of the big guys like Mr G's etc.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 01:33:50 AM »

Another great source is HomePro in Amityville,NY
http://www.homeprofasteners.com/
They have all  the unique schtuff that you cannot find elsewhere.
Friendly staff,fast shipping,and good prices where they don't rape you .
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC