MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: What types of projects do you enjoy?  (Read 1098 times)

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
What types of projects do you enjoy?
« on: May 30, 2009, 11:08:49 PM »

As Ardog mentioned here  http://www.moparfins.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2516    we did some work on his dash on Friday.  It occurred to me that it was more fun than most of my projects the last year or so. 

For me, body work and paint takes way too long before it pays off, and there are so many ways for it to go wrong, and then you get to back up two steps and start over again.

Big mechanical projects (engine, brakes, suspension, etc) tend to either be a lot more work physically or really messy, or both so they end up being necessary evils to get to the fun part (driving).

What I do like is electrical stuff, and the small mechanical things (instruments, clocks, window mechanisms, etc)

So, what do you folks love/hate to do?
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 03:20:49 AM »

I'd love the chance to build another engine.  Project 440WOB was built to be an econo tork monster.  If I had the $$$ I would do an all out HP monster for the next one.

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 01:41:16 PM »

Never really done much body or paint...but I like pretty much everything else that goes along with the hobby.

Love the hunting for parts though...
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Jessica

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 01:59:55 PM »

Parts hunting and researching is always fun for me, but my absolute favorite is tearing the car down. I don't have much experience doing bodywork, but what I have done, I enjoyed. I'm lacking in the mechanical end, so it's probably my least favorite.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 02:48:58 PM »

Don't let her kid you. . .She's better than she thinks.

I do it all. . . Allot of it is because I don't trust allot of outsiders.  I've done my own brakes, front ends, engines, trans, allot of body work and paint.  You guys have seen most of what I do over the years.  It would be allot more enjoyable if I could get inside with the projects.

When I did polaraco, it rained every day.  I was always clean!
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jessica

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 04:06:49 PM »

You may have been clean, but that canadian tux you always wear must have weighed a ton! Pfffttt!

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 05:04:58 PM »

I like to sit in a lawn chair with a cold beer and a bag of potato chips and watch Snotty get all dirty, greasy, slimy and filthy crawling under the my cars and doing all the dirty work!
Those are the best projects of all.  

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 05:14:41 PM »

Snotty can get under a car?  You got a lift?

Johnny D.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 07:02:26 PM »

im with the doc on this... but steve gave up... i guess  the force is too strong in the NYer.

"Rock and Roll's been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died."- John Milner

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 04:42:03 AM »

Quote from: hurst1
I like to sit in a lawn chair with a cold beer and a bag of potato chips and watch Snotty get all dirty, greasy, slimy and filthy crawling under the my cars and doing all the dirty work!

Oh gosh... major LOL over this one.  Steve...You must be getting old like me?? Actually just looked at your profile...You're a year and a half younger than me...and you've already become a spectator huh? You're usin your noggin 

Snotty, I wish you lived near me! We could have great fellowship while I watched you work on my C's!

I just can't physically do it like I used to guys. This unfortunately takes the fun out...and the will to do it...Between the herniated discs in my back and neck...my guts and now my right knee...I'm just fallin apart over here....One of these days I'm going to tell the wife "just kick the jack out" to put me out of my misery! 

I use to love to do body work....making a twisted panel straight brought me great joy...Welding in a metal patch or two  filling them in, smoothing them off, repainting...NICE.....Didn't care for whole paint jobs though...way too much prep work...especially sanding down all the jambs etc etc. Fixing dents though...painting single panels was the best! I better think about thinning the heard before they'e all broken. Great topic guys!

furyfever2009-06-02 09:51:02
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 05:21:34 AM »

I like metal work too, also spraying paint, but I'm never happy with
the quality of my own paint work, and it's hard to do without a proper
booth and breathing equipment anymore. so have to farm that part out as
from bitter experience know I'll just sell it when it's done if it
isn't right... and yeah, here, too, infirmities are starting to pile
up... knees, hands, eyes... increasingly one of the most important
tools in the tool box is the folding chair in the garage!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 05:41:15 AM »

If it wasn't for the lift in my garage, I'd be doing NO work.  That thing is a lifesaver.

Plus, I'm the envy of every guy in the neighborhood.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 09:39:23 AM »

I like motor and suspension work.  I've also grown accustomed to auto-trans serevicing, but I can't stand the fluid - and it always goes everywhere!!!
I've rebuilt three front-ends, and converted two to disk brakes.  I've swapped two complete rear-ends, and have swapped thrid members on four others.  The more I do these the more "routine" they've become.
I've learned that AC work is a breeze, but heater-core work is a real pain!!  However, Fogel, when you decide that it's time to swap that core in your Hemi-GTX with the new one you purchased, let me know and we'll

Also, let me pull those transmissions out of your GTXs and let's get them to Gil's to rebuild!  It's really no big deal!

Oh, back to projects, I actually like to do brake jobs and do those for more friends than anything else I do.  I only charge lunch!

BUT - I eat a [color=#ff0000 size=7]lot!!!![/color]

So, bring your cars over and let's do it!!!  Even though there are times I will get pissed-off in the middle of a project, when it's done and I stand back and look - knowing that I did it is a wonderful feeling.

Especially if it's done correctly!! 
It's green here in Chico!!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 09:40:19 AM »

Quote from: Commando1
If it wasn't for the lift in my garage, I'd be doing NO work. 

I am SO jealous!!!
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 10:25:56 AM »

Heavy engine work. . .   Bob. . . .I* have that down to a science now.  I use the winch on my trailer to pull the car out from under the engine.  Then I can use a long pipe to roll the engine hoist around and so on.  I don't work hard, I work smart.  The trailer get's the car high enough, most times, to work under it without a jack too.  Still have to work on my back, but it's nowhere near as bad as working just with jacks.

I always try to do the front end work when the front is off the car.  Soooo Much easier.  Even then, I'll pick the car up with the cherry picker and jack stand it accordingly.  Body work is tough outside, but I manage to get the heavy work done.  Saves me allot of money later.

It's now what you do, it's having the right toys to work smart and save the joints.  But the pavement still get's pretty hot.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC