MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Red. . .It has begun  (Read 1507 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Big Red. . .It has begun
« on: May 30, 2009, 07:03:09 PM »

Bob Called it Big Red, so I guess I can keep that name. . . .

Well, it's begun.  It will be done is stages, but at least something is happening. . . .

The 383 was stuck.  Anyone trying to remove just an engine with a Torque converter attached in a C. . . Well you know. . . Lots of grunting and groaning trying to clear the cross member with the Pan.

For the first time I had a chance to actually look at the car.  I threw a battery in it, nothing was working so I checked into that.  It was obvious someone was fooling around with the wiring. . .  It's kind of ugly.  But with some solder and shrink wrap, I can fix it.  The main feed wire to the bulk head connector had burned for some reason. . . I ran a jumper and the car lit right up.  The guy who fixed this put a wire from the Starter relay to the bulkhead.  There used to be a fuseable link there.  Nothing worked which is probably why the car was abandoned and then later stripped of some parts.  It might have helped if he stripped the insulation off the wire before making the connection. . . . . .

Anyway. . .here is the beginnings of a love affair.  Even though it's missing the drive shaft and a few other pieces, I'm going to like this car.

Engine just pulled

Freeze plug popped. . .there's 2  on the other side.  It just had water in it.  In New Jersey????

Cleaned up and squeaky clean. . . Well not quite that good.  The grease and dirt combo was 2" thick in places.  I was amazed the kick down worked with all the crud on the trans.. . .

NIce Fresh 413 all ready to go in.  All I have to do is work out the Motor mount on the left side.  This engine got a hotter cam, the heads were ported slightly, has a windage tray, all new pistons, rings, bottom end was all redone .010 over.  It ran great.  Getting a mini starter in this baby.  (Since that's what I have laying around.)  Not to mention, I just put a BIG hole in my garage. . .

What do you think I should do with the 383?  Open it up and see if I can unstuck it, then sell it?  Scrap it?  Strip anu good shtuff and scrap it?  What???
POLARACO2009-05-31 00:12:42
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jessica

• View Profile
Big Red. . .It has begun
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 07:47:23 PM »

Ooooh... Aaaaah.... :)

JSands2009-05-31 00:47:51

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Big Red. . .It has begun
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 03:02:06 AM »

A stuck 383 isn't worth the effort.  Save the heads, though.

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
Big Red. . .It has begun
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 06:10:48 AM »

Way to go Steve....So you have a Big Red now too? Thats what I call my 69 Fury. That vintage Chrysler C was one of the best designs IMO. Bring her back strong ...Man you have a lot of energy!furyfever2009-06-01 09:00:47
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
Big Red. . .It has begun
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 02:38:43 PM »

I agree with Jess!!! can't hurt to try,if it doesn't unstick then keep the goodies and scrap the rest. Its not like we are tripping over 383s like we are 350 chebbies!!!!
ardog2009-05-31 19:42:24

Mike

• View Profile
Big Red. . .It has begun
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 03:08:29 PM »

Steve, if you needed help with the 413 I woulda came and helped.

Part of the Jersey Mob.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Big Red. . .It has begun
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 04:19:19 PM »

I didn't get it in yet.

I have to change the front seal on the trans.  But I did get the motor mount in.  Like I said, I drilled and tapped into the water jacket.  Put some sealer on the bolts, Have a nice day.  I'm going to modify the inside of the bracket to catch both bolts and weld the leg to the main bracket.

Yeah I know, it's not the right color

POLARACO2009-05-31 21:20:02

300rag

• View Profile
Big Red. . .It has begun
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 04:35:07 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
 But I did get the motor mount in.  Like I said, I drilled and tapped into the water jacket.  Put some sealer on the bolts, Have a nice day. 

What size bolts did you use?   Fine thread or coarse? I might have to go this route with my 67 440.
1965 Chrysler 300 convertible 413/ 4 speed ; 1969 Monaco 3-seat wagon 383/727 ; 1969 Monaco 500 2-door 318/727

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Big Red. . .It has begun
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 05:34:58 PM »

The originals were 7/16 (16) Coarse  Because of the differences in the blocks on that corner, you'll have to grind a bit off the bottom of the bracket and take a 16th off the casting on top of the oil pump so you can turn the bolt.

The upper one is a bit tougher.  It's so close to the wall, I had to go in on a slight angle.

I put some sealant on the threads so it doesn't leak

3/8-16 X 3/4" on the lower one and 3/8-16 X 1" on the top.  On the back side of the bracket, I am going to take a piece of flat stock and put it to the lower bolt hole in the casting.  On an angle, I am going to weld it to the bracket to prevent any extra stress on the front bolts.  While the pulled up tight, that block isn't super think there.  It won't be a race car that's for sure.

I was going to change the frame.  But the K frame I got was going to be allot more work.

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Big Red. . .It has begun
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 03:23:41 AM »

OK, help me out here.  I'm confused about all this engine mount stuff you're going through.   Why all the fabrication?  Why aren't the mounts a plug and play situation?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Big Red. . .It has begun
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 05:14:01 AM »

65 is a 0ne year only set up.  Not only is it the first and only year for a cable driven slide yoke trans. . . It's also the only year for this funky left engine mount and block.  The engine mount is OK, but the block has dogs cast into it to bolt it too

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Big Red. . .It has begun
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 05:57:44 PM »

Big Red is a nice car.
This should be a fun project since Steve has all the essentials to make Big Red a nice complete functioning driver/cruiser.
After seeing it in person and now with some cleaning he will be a sharp ride.
You gonna wing it with the tranny?? Or get it rebuilt?
The engine bay cleaned up well.
So,is  the Voab on hold?
My border crossings are on hold until I get my passport.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Big Red. . .It has begun
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 07:35:29 PM »

My Pass Port hasn't arrived yet.  Elaine got hers. . .

No, the VOAB is not on hold. . .  I wanted to get the engine in Big Red to make a hole in the Garage.  I have a bunch of stuff to do on it.  I have a window and regulator coming so I can get it closed up.  I'll have the electrics running as the car will be.  Just won't have any brakes. 

The front end bushings are wiped. . . But it appears to have recent shocks.  Needs an Idler arm otherwise.  This is the first car I have gotten that has had some money put in the front end.

I'll probably slip those 73 spindles into it.  I have a booster and new Master I grabbed from a Monaco I stripped.  Lots of parts laying around I can put to work.

This motor swap is kicking my ass.  I am going to pull it back out tomorrow.  I think I may have missed seating the converter properly.  I just can get the trans and enging to do that little "Flop".  I finished reinforcing the left engine mount.  I have to take a click of it when I get it back out.  I forgot and I had it in the air when it started to pour. . .Figures

glen cyr

• View Profile
Big Red. . .It has begun
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2009, 04:48:56 PM »

If the torque converter doesn't seat,check to see if there is a pilot bearing in the crank as it may have come from a car with std. trans!
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Big Red. . .It has begun
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2009, 05:03:05 PM »

No they were both autos. . . .

I meant the converter didn't seat in the pump.  I know I had it and it must have slipped out with all the bumping around.  I finally got it back in today.  But it's raining so I'll try tomorrow
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC