MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Serious Brake Circuit Problem  (Read 1846 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Serious Brake Circuit Problem
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »

I dunno!  Was it worse after or before?

Was there allot of crap in the filter?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2009, 07:50:32 AM »

The filter looked pretty good and the fluid had a normal color and smell. I didn't really drive it that much before so I can't accurately compare before and after. I performed the fluid/filter change to 'reset the clock' for future scheduled maintenance. There was an issue with the shift points occurring later than were supposed to happen. That turned out to be related to the mangled throttle linkage. Jon and I straightened the bent linkage rods and followed the FSM adjustment procedure.

Just thinking out loud here, but I remember wondering how that rod got bent so out of shape in the first place. But soon the repair and adjustment procedure required my attention and I hadn't thought about it since. Now I am wondering if the rod was deliberately in an effort to address the 'runaway' shift behavior.......

Anyone have a thought about this? BTW, the vertical rod between the engine and trans was the one that had been bent.

Thanks!
Hulka

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1968 Plymouth Sport Fury Conv w/Factory 440HP
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 w/Original B07 Police Package
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »

One of the things that can cause shifting like you speak of is it's not completely in Drive.  Wiggle the column selector up and down slightly and see if it changes.

Such a simple thing can be so criticle
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2009, 10:39:51 AM »

Hmmnnnnnn....... There does seem to be quite a bit of play in the shifter (column shift). I'll have to look into this, although it seem too consistent to be caused by this....but I've been wrong before!

Thanks, Polaraco!

Hulka

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1968 Plymouth Sport Fury Conv w/Factory 440HP
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 w/Original B07 Police Package
1970 Chevelle 396

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2009, 09:48:16 PM »

Make sure that the kick down linkage is adjusted properly: it also controls the line pressure in the valve body and therefore shift quality. With the carb at WOT the horizontal kick down rod should go far enough back to push the vertical rod down far enough to push the bell crank at the trans all the way back.  If your rods were bent then this is probably what the problem is.  This may require lots of adjusting on both the horizontal and vertical rods to get them back in the proper alignment.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC