MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Serious Brake Circuit Problem  (Read 1840 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Serious Brake Circuit Problem
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 10:44:01 AM »

People throw those dimmers out thinking they are bad all the time.  Not much to go wrong there.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 01:33:13 PM »

I believe it. A pretty simple switch......but a 41 year old simple switch nevertheless.

Oh well, spare's are good things to have.

The overall progress made that day has more than made up for anything as small as this particular misdiagnosis.

The weather here may have been cloudy and drizzly today, but all I saw were blue skies and sunshine!

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1968 Plymouth Sport Fury Conv w/Factory 440HP
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 w/Original B07 Police Package
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2009, 01:48:03 PM »

Glad someone did compared to what I went through last night. . . .

Do you have any idea what was causing the headlight problem?

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2009, 03:15:36 PM »

So,you did not go into detail what ws wrong --or what the previous "electrical wizard" tried to repair.
What was the culprit of the problem??????
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2009, 02:59:25 AM »

Sorry about being skimpy on details. Evidently Mr.Wizard wanted to add something (I'm guessing a CB radio) to the car. In his search for a power source, Prof.Tesla had a brilliant idea. Instead of running a dedicated, switched and properly fused wire for power, he decided it would be so much better to splice into an existing power wire. Ahh, but Dr.Faraday not only lacked common sense but he also lacked a wiring diagram for his car. So he just started removing insulation (exposing bare wire) from several different candidates. Some were rejected while others were deemed worthy. By the way, his idea of 'splicing' into a circuit consisted of exposing bare wire, wrapping the additional device's power wire around it and then a quick loop of electrical tape. The rejected candidates were left with their bare wire exposed.

When he eventually removed the CB and some other added device, he was nice enough to leave the 'hot' wires dangling free under the dash. I'm lucky that Reddi Kilowatt's electrical technique didn't cause a serious fire!!!! Oh, did I mention the piece of threaded rod used to hold a 3rd wire into a fuse clip?

I am happy to report that where as the input side of the ballast resistor was previously only showing 8V, it is now showing 12V (8V output). The car's electrical system sent me a case of beer in appreciation. The card read "Thanks for everything! I've been on an 8V diet for so long I forgot what 12V tasted like!"

I thought that was a nice gesture.

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2009, 04:16:28 AM »

You are getting waaaay to intimate with your car.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2009, 08:26:26 AM »

GGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Comeon Steve. . . .  What was the problem with the brake lights? 

I'm too old for suspense.  

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2009, 01:04:36 PM »

The low voltage condition throughout the car was essentially the cause. The brakes were the straw that broke the camels back. right now the dash lights just flicker a teensy bit when the brakes lights come on. They don't dim, just the single flicker. I assume the voltage regulator then kicks in and all is right with the world.

*****   UPDATE   *****

ARRGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

At lunch, Jon and I hit the barn intending to install the AM/FM radio. While removing a connector from the (original) sash speaker, the contact tab came right off the speaker. We removed the speaker  and after seeing the condition of the paper, I didn't feel so bad.

Now I'm off to order a new 4 x 10 speaker. I found a guy on ebay selling an exact replacement for my speaker. Here is the listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOPAR-Dodge-Plymouth-4-x-10-Speaker-A-B-C-E-Body-Cuda_W0QQitemZ230334395088QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item35a0fff2d0&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1205|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Hope posting a link doesn't violate the rules here. I'll let everyone know how it works. I actually called and spoke with a man named Tom who was very helpful. Even though I called 3:30 PM their time (Olympia, WA), he said he would make sure it got shipped today so I could get it before the weekend. Nice guy.

So another aged component gets replaced. Oh well, the old speaker sounded like crap before.
Uncle Hulka2009-05-18 18:49:27
Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2009, 02:05:41 PM »

*****  UPDATE   *****

I just received email confirmation (with tracking number) that my speaker had been shipped! they also had a link to their website (I thought they were just ebay'ers). Well color me surprised because they are actually a restoration business specializing in MOPARS!!!

Here is their link:
www.rocketresto.com

I guess it's safe to assume they know if this speaker will fit and work with my stock radio. The speaker is 4 and 8 ohm and was a whole lot less expensive than some other 4 x 10 I found.

Will, of course, keep the group posted.

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2009, 02:36:31 PM »

I hope they gave you an upgraded cone with a foam flex ring in it.  It will sound allot better especially with those older FM radios.

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2009, 02:44:34 PM »

I don't know, Polaraco. But Tom told me they install these speakers in their customers cars as well as his on '67 Fury III. I also see that Galen recommends their services on his site. I was impressed with the restoration pictures on their web page.
Uncle Hulka2009-05-18 20:32:41
Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2009, 02:40:05 PM »

*****   UPDATE  *****

The speaker from Rocket Restorations arrived today! WOW, talk about fast!!! I ordered it Monday and it's here 2-days later.......from the other side of the country!

The speaker sounds so much better than my crappy old original. Of course the old speaker was torn 7 ways from Tuesday.

Ran out of time tonight, but all I have to do is finish buttoning up the dash and I should be ready for a bit of cruising, thanks in large part to you guys!

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2009, 03:43:12 PM »

Just a quick update. I've had a chance to drive the SF for a few miles over the last few weeks and I've got to share my experiences with those of you who have helped me so much.

This car is just a pleasure to drive! I rides so smoothly over even the rough country roads in my town. I can't tell you what a great feeling it is to drive down the road on a beautiful, sunny day with the top down, classic oldies playing over the stock AM/FM radio through a new speaker. All this combined with the sound of the 440HP mill purring quietly in the background patiently waiting for me to exercise my right foot. Sadly, until I am done setting up the mechanical and vacuum advance characteristics, I am not able to realize her full potential, but soon, my friends, very soon........

No issues to report regarding the electrical system. Everything seems to be working perfectly. The charging system is doing its thing perfectly. The ignition system works great. After replacing the 160° thermostat with the correct 180° thermostat, the cooling system is working as designed for the first time since I bought the car. The brakes work fine (for 4-wheel manual drum brakes) and the car doesn't pull to one side or the other.

The transmission is still causing me grief. Under any acceleration, I experience runaway with both the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Once it's in gear it feels better and pulls hard, but I have to let off the accelerator pedal at the shift points or else the trans slips badly, causing the engine to rev up. Until I figure it out, I'll just have to exercise some self-discipline and keep my foot out of it.

I've said it before, but I want to express my deepest appreciation to all of those who have given me such fantastic advice, guidance and support in my efforts to get this car to a state of reliability. I am not blind to the fact that without you guys, my Sport Fury would not be in the condition it is right now.

On that note, I want to close by saying "Thank You" to my friend Jon. He has been an incredible friend throughout this process. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know about cars and he is not only willing to share his knowledge and experience, but also his valuable time. He has been right there, turning wrenches and diving in and solving whatever issue we were facing. I can not say enough about the friendship he has demonstrated in helping me make this car drivable. I will never be able to repay him for his generosity, but he will never have to look for a garage in which to work on his cars. My tools and equipment are his to use at will.

My thanks to you all, gang. You rock!

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2009, 03:48:07 PM »

Yes  Thank you Jon

Have you done a trans service on it yet?  If not, plan on adjusting the bands and see if that is the problem.  Could be the bands are way too loose.  It also could be the trans filter is plugged up.

Tell us what the trans fluid looks and smells like.

I'm not the greatest trans diagnoser. . . but I do know that's a good start.

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2009, 03:58:46 PM »

Hey Polaraco!

Yes, Jon and I did a trans service a couple months ago. We drained the fluid from the trans and torque converter, installed a new filter and adjusted the bands using a process involving tightening the bands to the point where I could not turn the drive shaft by hand. This method was purported to be more accurate, but this time we'll do it as outlined in the FSM. We also adjusted the throttle linkage.

Did I screw something up?

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC