MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Spacer under 2 barrel carb?  (Read 525 times)

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
Spacer under 2 barrel carb?
« on: April 22, 2009, 02:34:26 AM »

Hi Guys....Under my 1969 318 2 barrel carb....should there be a rubber spacer about a 1/4" thick? My 70 has one...but my 69 doesn't. And I can't remember now....should that spacer have a gasket on both sides of it?...or is the spacer a gasket in itself?

Bob
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 05:20:16 AM »

It's mostly an insulator so the carb doesn't get too hot.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 05:27:25 AM »

[/QUOTE]

Correct. . and no, you usually didn't have a gasket on each side.  The spacer is the gasket.

That may have been a modification from 69 to 70.  Hard to say.  But it's a good idea to have one there
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 06:30:03 AM »

Thanks Steve, I knew it was an insulator...just didn't know if gaskets on top/bottom were necessary. I have an extra 1/4 spacer...I think I'll install it...can only help by the sounds of it. Thanks again for all your guidance guys...getting close to starting her up!...Cross your fingers and your toes for me...

Bob

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 09:42:31 AM »

They are also made from a fibberous material...but you also need to check your choke linkage as well....if the car didn't have one originally then adding the that 1/4" will cause your choke system to not operate properly..OR...will need to be adjusted to compensate for the carb sitting higher than original.  Works in the other direction as well...taking that 1/4" gasket out.
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 10:40:54 AM »

Hmmm...good point...I was actually thinking about that. I had the 1/4" spacer in place last night...but took it back out...thinking I needed a gasket on top/bottom. While it was in place with carb bolted down and evrything hooked up, I took notice of the choke. It was totally closed...which is right...but, perhaps it will never open up or not open all the way? I will keep an eye on it to make sure it works properly. I don't think there's any adjustment on the 69's bimetallic spring choke. It's different than the 70's bimetallic spring. I know the 70's has an adjutment on it. If worse comes to worse I could always upgrade it I guess...

Thanks Brian,

Bob

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC