MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's play: Name Those Sensors!  (Read 1117 times)

attkrlufy

• View Profile
Let's play: Name Those Sensors!
« on: April 17, 2009, 11:36:30 AM »

I'm in the process of figuring out what sensors I keep and what sensors I discard when I switch from leanburn to elec. ignition.  I'm down to four sensors that I'm not 100% sure what they do and was wondering if you guys could help me out.  The engine is a 1979 360 4v with ELB and California emissions package:

My finger is pointing to a sensor behind the thermoquad.  1) Is this the engine temp sensor?  It's got a brass fitting at its base which is why it looks gold.  2) Do I need to keep this when this when I scrap the ELB?

Next...

My finger is pointing to two sensors.  The green sensor with two vacuum lines coming out is, I think, the CCEVS (Coolant Controlled Engine Vacuum Switch).  I believe I need to keep this as it works the idle-enrichment system on my thermoquad.

The sensor behind it is giving me pause.  According to my FSM, this is where the Coolant temp sensor that the ELB uses is located.  I traced the wire and it looks like it ends up in the same bundle that goes to the ELB computer.  HOWEVER, the pic below also has what looks like the same sensor:

My finger is pointing to another sensor on the PASSENGER side next to the A/C compressor and behind the oil dipstick.  Below is the blow-up:

This wire also looks like it goes into the bundle that goes to the ELB computer.  Do I have two coolant temp sensors?  The base looks red....is this the CCEGR valve?  I don't think it is, because the CCEGR is ported w/ 2 vacuum lines....but I don't know what it could be. 

Also, if it isn't the CCEGR valve then where the heck is mine because I think I'm supposed to have one.

Any help is appreciated.  :)

1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »

A word or caution.  When de-leanburning an engine, it's best to swap out the distributer and the carburetor.
Then you can just about trash everthing and not have to worry about what goes where.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 01:02:31 PM »

Is the Emission Label missing from the car?  It should have a schematic of what is what.  I'd think one of the temp sensors is for the idiot light in the dash, just a WAG on my part.

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 03:23:44 PM »

To be honest with you,it is really not necessary to mess with the sensors.You are making more work for yourself than what I deem necessary.
Once you do the conversion,there will be no power to them anyways.
All power is fed to them by the Lean Burn computer--which will be dead.
I would also leave the vacuum switches alone as well.
Any vacuum leak can hinder fine tuning after doing the conversion.
Your temperature guage and oil light will still function normally without any modifications.
Your choke has electric assist and I would not mess with it if it is working fine.That's the sensor that has a white wire going to the choke of your TQ. After the conversion check for power.If no power,feed it from a switchable 12 volt source.
The other sensor you are pointing to is the oil pressure sender.
One wire for the idiot light,the other for the ELB.
Leave it alone.
I have done a few conversions and all work fine
I even left the pooter attached to the air cleaner just for looks.
Besides,Iall I did was use the main switched power wire from the ELB plug to feed the Electronic ignition.
No cutting,chopping ,no ripping out of sensors.
It can be easily returned to ELB to keep the smog police happy and collector bidders at Barret Jackson.
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 04:33:06 PM »

OK

Picture #1 is a current sensing relay.  It senses the current going to the choke coil and shuts it off when the choke is open.  It also tells the Lock up to work

Sensor #2 is the engine temp for the lean burn

Sensor #3 is the temp gauge
POLARACO2009-04-17 21:35:08
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Tom Dawson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 05:47:58 PM »

Wow that is one cruddy looking TQ
Tom
give her a good cleaning when finished
They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad( O Brother Where Art Thou? )

Tom Dawson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 05:48:40 PM »

Looks like some fuel seepage near that sensor
Tom
They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad( O Brother Where Art Thou? )

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 12:21:51 PM »

Quote from: furyman67
Wow that is one cruddy looking TQ.  Give her a good cleaning when finished.
Uggg...you wouldn't BELIEVE how gross/weepy/leaky the thermoquad is.   The springs on it are all shot....it's a wreck.  That's why it's getting replaced with a rebuilt unit when the leanburn goes.

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 12:31:30 PM »

The thing is, I'm removing the intake and having it boiled in a caustic solution to clean it.  In order to do that I have to strip everything off it.  I was planning on just plugging the holes to the sensors I don't need anymore instead of putting them back - you know - to clean things up a bit.  But, you're right, I guess it doesn't really matter, does it?

The other sensor you are pointing to is the oil pressure sender.
Which one?  the one w/ the brass (gold) bottom behind the TQ?

Besides, all I did was use the main switched power wire from the ELB plug to feed the Electronic ignition.  No cutting,chopping ,no ripping out of sensors.
That's a really good idea.  I think I'll do that.  Thanks.

It can be easily returned to ELB to keep the collector bidders happy at Barret Jackson.
HA!    An R-body at Barret-Jackson. *wipes tear away*  Yeah....that's a good one.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC