MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New EGR w/ clogged crossover - will it work?  (Read 540 times)

attkrlufy

• View Profile
New EGR w/ clogged crossover - will it work?
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:09:30 AM »

I had the pleasure of seeing Firedome again yesterday and introducing "Wanda" to him.  It's nice to be able to bounce ideas off another local R-body guy, you know?  There aren't that many of us around.

Anyway, I told him my plans for Wanda this summer and he told me to take "removing the intake and boiling it" off the list.  I don't think I have a problem with the intake - the only reasons I wanted to do that were 1) to clean it (it's gross) and, 2) to make sure the intake crossover is clear of carbon.  I don't KNOW that it's clogged, but I figured if I was going to remove the valve covers to clean them and put on new gaskets, take out the leanburn and put an elec ignition system in, replace the EGR valve, clean the electric choke, and swap the old thermoquad for a rebuilt one - why not just take off the intake and clean that, too, while I'm down there?

But he made a really good point about intakes being tricky to remove and reinstall correctly....so I'm inclined to listen to him.  So I have just one question:

IF the exhaust crossover is clogged on my intake, will the new EGR I plan to put on still work properly?

attkrlufy2009-04-14 12:22:40
1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 07:32:03 AM »

As I recall, the EGR injects a small portion of the Exhaust gas into the intake side.  So the answer to your question is yes.

The only thing the cross over does is heat the choke so it opens faster.  But you also have an electric support on it as well.  The electric one is actually faster than the cross over.

It's still a good idea to clean it out though.  They usually clogged on city cars and ones that didn't get allot of fast driving.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 09:25:40 AM »

I've seen them fully clogged and blocked.  The good news is it's easy to clean, just be sure you have a shop vac handy or else that black crap will go everywhere!
It's green here in Chico!!

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 08:05:45 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
As I recall, the EGR injects a small portion of the Exhaust gas into the intake side.  So the answer to your question is yes.

The only thing the cross over does is heat the choke so it opens faster.  But you also have an electric support on it as well.  The electric one is actually faster than the cross over.
Yeah, but doesn't the EGR pull the exhaust from the exhaust crossover, as well?  If that's dirty or clogged, then the EGR can't work properly, can it?

Snotty, you said the crossover is easy to clean - how easy?  Were you able to do it without taking the intake off?

1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 08:57:59 AM »

Didn't have to do it on a V-8 car. 
However, I cleaned out the EGR with a screwdriver and then tapped it on the worktable.  After that I used the screwdriver on the manifold while holding a shop-vac hose right next to the EGR hole.  As the carbon broke up it came right out.  I was not worried about any loose residue as it would burn off anyway.
You can try that with your V-8; you can get the top-most stuff.  But if your manifold is clogged all the way to your heads you will need to pull it.  I once worked on a VW where the entire manifold cavity was clogged!
Sorry, I said it was easy, but I did not say it might take some work to get to it.
I bought a new EGR for $115.00 because it was clogged.  The old one cleaned up as I said as did the manifold.  But the Smog Guy told me I should have reinstalled the EGR and had the car re-tested first before I bought the new one.  He told me he often takes them off, bangs them on his wall, puts them back on and they work.  He was the one who told me about the vacuum with the manifold.
Good luck!
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 01:19:34 PM »

Quote from: attkrlufy
Quote from: POLARACO

Mmmm  Now I have to look. . . .  I keep getting the LA and the Magnum mixed up.  The magnum has a tube because there is no cross over
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC