MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 70 Fury rear end noise  (Read 563 times)

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
70 Fury rear end noise
« on: April 04, 2009, 06:36:25 AM »

Hey guys, I brought my 70 Fury into my local mechanic this past Tuesday. Well...It's Saturday now...and he still has it. I've been hearing a rear end noise for quite some time now...sort of an "oscillating growl" at low speeds.., so I figured it was time to get it fixed. He says it's the pinion bearing and it may take a while to get the part(s)/replace them...While he's in there he'll replace all other items (axle bearings/seals) that should be replaced too. Does anyone have any tips/advice I should know about while he's doing this? Any prior experience as to how much this should cost me? He says the pinion bearing is deep inside the rear end and it will  not be an inexpensive job... Is this true? Never been in there to know myself...

furyfever2009-04-07 08:44:21
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
70 Fury rear end noise
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 07:10:35 AM »

It is an 8 3/4 rear??
To keep costs down.......
I would pull the side axles out first and inspect the axle bearings.
They need to be packed with grease just like the front wheel bearings.
Years of driving and not being serviced can give a low speed noise.
If they are not damaged and appear to be dry,pack them up mad,replace the seals and slam them back in.
Drop the driveshaft and inspect the u joints.A binding u joint can give the same noise.
If noise is gone,good.
If not you will have to pull the pumpkin and check  the pinion bearing.
CHA-CHING
 If he has not done them before find a transmission shop or a heavy truck shop that has done them before.
The pumpkin will need to be taken apart to replace the pinion bearing.
489 housings require a crush sleeve and it is very important to set up the pinion bearing  pre-load  properly. 

Based on shop labour time it can get expensive.

A lower cost alternative is buy another used pumpkin and install it.
That's what I did. The 2.76's were about to grenade.I installed 2.94's for better street action and still cruise on the highway.
A Good oppourtunity to experiment with different gear ratios--or get a Sure Grip!!
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
70 Fury rear end noise
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 07:13:11 AM »

Should the axle bearings be toast,replace them with the "green" bearings.
They will require a machine shop to remove and press new bearings on the axles.
DO NOT HEAT UP THE AXLES WITH A TORCH OR AXLE FAILURE IS GUARANTEED.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
70 Fury rear end noise
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 01:09:07 PM »

Here is a simple question

Is the noise louder on turns?  In opposite, the noise would go away on the opposite turn.

You need to be going fast enough to make the body lean just a tad.

That ususally indicates a bad wheel bearing.  If the fronts have been done already, it doesn't matter.  The outers are quite small. If they were't packed correctly, the will fail quickly.  Not to mention the car sits allot. . . .
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
70 Fury rear end noise
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 06:34:58 AM »

The noise is only noticeable at lower speeds...most likely because road/wind noise drounds it out at higher speeds. Didn't notice it any louder when turning in either direction. Like I said its been going on for the three years I've owned it...finally decided to take it in to my local transmission guy. He'ds done work for me before....all favorable/reasonable. He diagnosed it already as a bad pinion gear. He said he diagnosed it on the lift with a sethosscope. He also said that's what it usually is with a car this age/miles/type noise I described to him. I just wanted to find out from you guys if it is indeed a big job...and while he's in there, if it makes sense to replace all the other bearings/seals too....and what $$$ amount would be proper for this job....Thanks...

Bob
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
70 Fury rear end noise
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 07:26:49 AM »

MMMMMM

And you are sure the rear oil is full????  Dumb Question

Sorry Bob... I don't push panic buttons.  A Bad pinion can't be detected that way.  The 8 3/4 rears were noisey anyway.  If it wasn't the low gear planitaries in a 727 it was the rear making weird noises.  The only real way is a physical inspection.

No in Mobbies case, he is complaining of loud rear noise.  He's also chewing up his rear axle seal in a few hundred miles.  In this case, my bet is a bad carrier bearing since the axle bearing has been replaced already.

But in your case, unless you have a decisive grinding, or exceptional play, I would change the oil with some sure grip rated oil and leave it.  It will be less expensive to just get another carrier for it and put it in yourself.  good 2.76's are a dime a dozen.  (I'm assuming it is a 2.76)  A rebuilt rear will cost a grand and I'm sure Jack can give you one for a hundred.

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
70 Fury rear end noise
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 11:51:31 PM »

Well...It looks like I should have talked to you guys first before I brought it in...He's got it now...since Tuesday....so whatever will be will be. He's done right by me before...but it sounds like I should have found another rear end before letting him replace the pinion bearing. I'll try to make sure he's going to do the proper setup on the bearing and properly do the crush sleeve and all. He has done well on previous transmission jobs for me...Thanks guys. Also..not sure about what rear is in there...As far as I know it had oil...didn't check first though.

furyfever2009-04-07 08:45:59

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
70 Fury rear end noise
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 07:26:46 AM »

Must be that clean country living. . .  276 open rears are a dime a dozen.  Put in a new Pinion seal and let 'er rip. 

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
70 Fury rear end noise
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 08:26:14 AM »

He rebuilt the rear end and checked both u-joints...didn't replace the u-joints because he said they're fairly new...He showed me the pinion bearing...inner race was badly pitted....the other bearings finishes were worn off but no pitting. He showed me the puller he uses...never uses heat on the bearings...and he said he set up the pinion using shims and installed the crush sleeve to spec....Sounds like he did what Leaburn mentioned....bill = $700.00. I feel ok about it. I'm sure I could have gotten a used rear end much cheaper...but after driving 2.5 hours to pick it up/getting it installed, I'm probably 1/2 way to $700.00 anyways if not more...and I'd still have a used rear end. At least now I have a warranteed newly rebuilt rear end....and the best part...I didn't hurt my back to do it....and it's done...it's not sitting in my garage all in pieces like my 69 Fury is....still....This weekend I didn't touch it. 
Bob 

furyfever2009-04-07 08:45:22

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
70 Fury rear end noise
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 08:41:14 AM »

Ken

• View Profile
70 Fury rear end noise
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 05:06:20 PM »

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Mike

• View Profile
70 Fury rear end noise
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 08:56:02 PM »

Well Bob, I would say the boys covered it. Lay an open ended patch for me buddy!

Part of the Jersey Mob.

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
70 Fury rear end noise
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 07:59:56 AM »

Quote from: Potatoe
Well Bob, I would say the boys covered it. Lay an open ended patch for me buddy!

Yes P...they did...I drove it home last night and the rear end was as quiet as can be. I have to say shelling out $700 hurt...but after the ride home...it made it all worth it. Now to sink in ~$3-400 more to get the rear leafs replaced or rearced and get the air shocks outa there...That 'ol 70 Fury should be as nice a ride as my 69. Anyone have any suggestions to the best way to go about this...order new leafs?...or get them re-arced at a local shop...

Bob

furyfever2009-04-07 13:05:37

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC