MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: What's the best way to pull an engine?  (Read 1989 times)

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
What's the best way to pull an engine?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2009, 06:56:56 AM »

You can pull the motor & tranny as one unit (which I prefer) by removing the hood and dropping the tranny crossmember.  I find it a whole lot easier to mate the tranny and the motor outside the car rather than in it.

Removing the radiator support makes it easier to the point the hood does not need to be removed.

In the following picture you can see the four flex plate mounting holes  where it attaches to the torque converter is not an assymetrical square.  It is slightly offset so that each hole is specific to the matching thread hole on the TC.

And yes, any dummy can do it.  Ask anybody here.  We're living proof.   (Gotcha back, Al.)

Commando12009-03-19 11:01:51

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 08:13:59 AM »

On my B body, I removed the hood, jacked the car up to gain a little tailshaft clearance for the swing, and used an engine tilter (O-berg brand at the time) to get both engine and trans out in one shot.

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 08:38:32 AM »

Unca

Where are you in Conn.  Maybe I cn assemble a wrecking team and give you a hand
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 08:40:41 AM »

Me thinks that's the direction I'll go in....IF I decide to pull it.

The problem for me will be that once the engine and compartment look good, everything else will look worse! It's an inverse ratio; Right now everything has aged at the same rate. When something is restored or replaced, everything else in the immediate area now looks old and crappy!

I know I'll have to do the engine and compartment at some point. However, once I do it, then I won't be satisfied until everything else has the same 'New' look.

Screw it, I'll pull it and just deal with the consequences.

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1968 Plymouth Sport Fury Conv w/Factory 440HP
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 w/Original B07 Police Package
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 08:46:25 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Unca

Unbelievably generous offer, my friend. Amazing. I think I can do it with the help of a friend or two here.

HOWEVER, you are more than welcome to come up and drink some beer while we do it. Let me know if you're interested and I'll coordinate with you.

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 12:20:05 PM »

I won't drink beer. . .But I will throw popcorn and be a armchair quarterback.  LOL  I'm good at that.

To answer your question,

You don't have to remove the rad support.  You can pull the engine and trans like Bob described.  You need to drop the trans mount anyway.

It will require a high lift.  Use a short chain spanning from the bell to the front of the engine.  Criss cross. the engine.  LR to RF sort of thing.  You want to lift more towards the front of the engine so it will allow the tail shaft to drop.  The front of the engine will have to be high to clear the hump.  Once it's up in the air, you can manuver the tail shaft by hand.

2 suggestions.

1.  Drain all your fluids, including the trans
2.  Have a couple of scraps of plywood arounf to protect the surfaces.  The Rad support is very easy to scratch
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 01:33:54 PM »

see if your local rental agency or a friendly mechanic has an engine tilter you could borrow/rent....makes life so much easier and safer than prying and shaking the engine hoist....and you get to steer the motor back to level once the car is out from under it....yes it is easier to have the car able to roll away from the hoist than to try and muscle a fully lifted engine backwards...

http://www.thestricklincompanies.com/productdetail.php?product=9

or the one I use:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQ6G5A?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=nextag-auto-delta-20&linkCode=asn

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 03:11:52 PM »

All good suggestion, guys. Luckily, I have a friend with a leveler and an engine stand. I am going to buy a good strong one anyway. I'll still borrow his stand and I'll use mine for the engine and his for the trans. Pretty clever, eh?

Yes, I had planned on draining all the fluids especially the trans. I'll save the trans fluid, since it only had about 5 minutes of use since I changed it a couple months ago. The engine oil has about 30 minutes run time on it, but I'll probably start with fresh oil for the coming season.

Polaraco, you and I can drink Diet Coke (or your preferred brand) 'til the cows come home. No problemas, senior. The offer for a visit stands. I think you would enjoy yourself.

Uncle Hulka

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 04:48:15 PM »

He drinks regular Pepsi...in bottles ONLY (necessary around computers)

I bought a 4 legged engine stand after watching a 3 legger dump a freshly painted, rebuilt 312 '57 T-bird motor while being rolled out of a spray booth.....broke the starter mounting ear off the block The guy was able to weld it back on, but to me that's never the same again...

You could always modify a 3 legger with some good heavy casters and a section of square tubing.....

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 05:01:25 PM »

Stitcherbob, no way in hell I'm going to use a 3-legger with any V-8...ESPECIALLY a Big-Block. Advice appreciated nonetheless.

BTW, I am guessing a 440 weighs around 800lbs. Am I way off?

BTW, you can come too!

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 05:23:19 PM »

The shipping weight for my 383 long block was 591. Add on 150lbs for all the running gear and your at at least 750 fully dressed.
Al

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2009, 06:59:08 PM »

UNRELATED UPDATE!!!!

This morning I finally had the time to install the new fuel tank.

WOO HOO!

I was able to take it out for a nice, regrettably brief cruise to put some ethel in the tank. The change from 2.76 to 3.23 gears was a definite improvement. You guys were right, this car has some nice acceleration! Of course, now I'm thinking "Hmmmmnnn. Maybe a 3.90 ratio would be pretty cool".

Dear God, I'm out of freakin' control.

I noticed a fairly significant leak from the steering box at the top hose fitting. In my FSM it shows 3 O-rings that are probably to blame for the leak. I haven't removed them yet, but are they hard to find or are they a auto parts store item?

Still haven't decided whether it's worth all the work to pull the motor
for detailing when I'm a long ways away from bodywork and a paint job.

Anyway, just keeping you guys updated on my progress.

Uncle Hulka2009-03-21 23:00:47
Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2009, 07:12:42 PM »

The 3:91's will be fun--for the first few runs.
Then it will get costly in gas and the buzzing of the engine does get tiring after a while.IMO

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2009, 09:52:59 PM »

Those o rings can be sized and bought....just make sure you get that valve centered just like it was or your steering will want to "self steer". A spritz of spray paint over the valve could help locate it back to where it was.

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2009, 04:01:03 AM »

Quote from: stitcherbob
Those o rings can be sized and bought....just make sure you get that valve centered just like it was or your steering will want to "self steer". A spritz of spray paint over the valve could help locate it back to where it was.

Great tip, Stitch, but I thought the O rings were located between the hose fitting and the adjustable block on the steering box. That's what it looked like in exploded views. Am I mistaken?

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC