MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 318 w/ antifreeze in the oil  (Read 4142 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
318 w/ antifreeze in the oil
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2009, 07:01:24 AM »

You will get some slop. . .   It's a given.  3/8 is nothing.  Remember you have to allow for expansion too.  Also, if it was too tight, you'd never get it on.

I have to say your other chain wasn't that bad.  I've seen an inch or more.  But you may as well, you're there. . .

It's nothing to be upset about Bob.  Perfectly normal
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »

Did not buy the Monaco,yet.MAy have to pass.Must focus on the BoaB.
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2009, 04:58:36 PM »

Got the timing chain, timing cover, water pump and the rest of the "front" of the motor back on....

Now to put the "lid" back on...What do you guys think about these scratches in the intake's sealing surfaces? Has anyone ever seen these before?...What are they from and will they cause leaks?

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2009, 05:07:20 PM »

I don't think much of the scratches. . But a very thin coat of RTV will give you piece of mind.  I always use the black or orange on engines.

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2009, 03:52:29 AM »

Thanks Steve...I've used the Permatex High Tack Spray-a-Gasket Sealant before...on the metal intake gaskets...Is this enough or should I also use the red RTV goop also?. One more question....The cork front and rear gaskets that come in the intake gasket set....Use em or not? The parts guy told me to use the RTV goop in place of them...He said they're too stiff and they just dry out after time anyways...He said a good healthy amount of RTV (front and back) works better...Agree?
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2009, 02:09:44 PM »

Hey Guys...I thought while I had the intake still off...I'd pour some kerosene into my motor and let it sit a while...then drain it all out...hopefully that will flush any remaining brown goo and coolant out. As a test, I poured some kerosene in my valve covers and without even brushing it around it started cutting all the brown goo nicely...I plan to do this again with some cheap oil...before I finish assembling/starting her up too. Now....I filled her up pretty good with about 4 gallons of kerosene...It started dripping off the bell housing after about 3-3.5 gallons...still dripping now...Its also dripping much much slower off the pulley in front...(The pulley on the crankshaft for the belts) Any theories as to how this can be happening?

Bob 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2009, 02:54:43 PM »

The front seal isn't made to be submerged like it is so that's part of it.  Kero is also less viscous than oil.

As far as the cack of the motor. . .Not sure.  You better look for it there.  It's not high enough to be coming from the valve cover or intake.

You may want to spin the engine a few turns to flush out the oil galeries too.  The kero is enough of a lubricant for the bearings as long as it's not running. . .  Take the plugs out.

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2009, 10:15:11 PM »

It leaked about a gallon back out and then stopped. Anybody know what's up in back..that would allow an overflow at about 3-3.5 gallons? Must be running down the backside of the engine to be coming off the bell housing cover...This happened the night I brought it home on the flatbed too...had brown goo on the floor the next morning. I thought then it was from the rear intake seal...but apparently it wasn't because the kerosene is not that high up.  

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2009, 05:06:43 PM »

And now....She's baaaack...and boy is she ready and raring to go 

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2009, 05:37:59 PM »

Just like a GOOD Chrysler product should!

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 26, 2009, 06:38:22 PM »

Finally,she is back to herself.
Hope to see you guys soon.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Per Therkildsen

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2009, 07:31:13 AM »

Well not that i want to sound like an engineer/wiseguy but i have never heard of people who had their engine taken apart because of a head gasket/water in the oil.
Of course only if people dont drive with it for a long time.

Over here we just change the gaskets and putt it together again, and then it will cost you some oil and filters, let it run for half an hour, checking the temp all the time, new oil and filter, then deppending on who you ask change oil and filter after 100 km.

1970 Plymouth Satellite 4 door

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2009, 09:43:41 AM »

You missed it.  He had a hole in the water pump housing.  He also had an oil leak in the back of the intake.  the engine was loaded with antifreeze and he decided to freshen up the engine at the same time.

PAGE JUMPER!      

Per Therkildsen

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2009, 10:48:11 AM »

Well im sorry, i didnt see there was more pages, but what the H*** somebody had a laugh, including me
1970 Plymouth Satellite 4 door

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2009, 11:59:53 AM »

Couldn't resist it.

Back to the topic. . .
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC