MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 318 w/ antifreeze in the oil  (Read 4652 times)

Ken

• View Profile
318 w/ antifreeze in the oil
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2009, 05:41:43 AM »

Bob, a 383 would fit, but you would need a trans with the big block bell housing and all the related linkage and engine brackets.

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2009, 07:54:34 AM »

Engine wire harness,too.
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Butch Houghton

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2009, 07:55:26 AM »

Build it yourself!   You've had the motor out so obviously you can do that,   Dismantling is  the easy part.   Only special tool is a Balancer puller.   You'll  need a Tourque wrench for assembly.  Also a ring compressor & maybe a set of ring pliers to install rings.   The rest is mostly standard hand tools.

Find a good machine shop that can do the Machine work & I took a quick look at Summit just to see what a complete re-build kit costs,   About 360.00 for a Federal - Mogul cast piston kit.  Pistons-rings-bearings-gaskets-oil pump- timing set.   No cam in that kit.  The Forged kit was 609.00 but you don't need forged for a stock 318.  There's probably other kits out there to double-check against.

The Machine work cost is the variable by region,  the last one I got from our guy cost 1150.00 for a 318.   that was Block all done,  Heads done, & a complete Sealed Power kit with all the above plus a cam & lifters.  That kit was 500.00 & it had a double roller timing set too.   We only gave 500.00 for that complete motor because it was a "left behind" & the guy had paid part up front & never came back.  He only wanted what was left on the bill.  Complete fresh engine for 500.00,   can't beast that!

I recommend a FSM & the old HP series book " How to rebuild the Small Block Mopar " for a first timer.   I built my 340 with those back in 85 fror  my first motor.   There might be a better book out now but I still use mine for just a quick reference on stuff.  Plus you've got people here to help with questions.

Be nice to keep the original motor in that car.

Butch

HemiFury2009-03-16 11:57:48
68 Dart GT - 394 Stroker/6 Pack
70 Fury Gran Coupe - 472 Hemi
70 Sport Fury - 383 Magnum FK5

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2009, 02:56:19 PM »

Thanks for looking around for me Glen...Man you guys are all fantastic. I feel like I'm really being taken care of here. Looks like the pre-70 cover (the top one) is it! I'll try to get some numbers off mine though to make absolutely sure.....and there's 3 days left to the auction. Anybody know what I should have to pay for one of these? 

Check your mail for the bill.

I have a buildable 440 here.  It ran when I pulled it.  I also have  a 68 BB Torqueflite trans.

If you want to have a second child hood, I can have my builder "HemiJon" build you a real nice motor.  Yer call.

Edit:  I had reason to talk to HemiJon anyway so I asked him.  He can make you a real sweet 440 for around 3 Grand.  Long Block.  That's everything.  This guy does engines for the local resto shops and builds those $12,000 engines.  So you can imagine what he can do with a street engine.  I don't want allot of money for this 440. .  I was going to build a street rod with it, but Momma says Nooooooo. 

POLARACO2009-03-16 19:06:24
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2009, 04:41:12 AM »

Had an old friend come into town on Sunday...He helped me get the hood off yesterday...so I know this gooey, busted 318 will be coming out. Sounds like rebuild parts for this motor + block work will be in the neighbor hood of $1500.00 alone...that's with me doing all the work!...Geeesh!...I don't know??...Will have to keep thinking whilest I yank it (the motor). A co-worker friend said he will lend me his engine hoist...
furyfever2009-03-17 11:09:19
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2009, 11:15:38 AM »

Bob,Jack wants $275.00 for the running 69 318.
He actually drove the 69 Sattelite the motor came out of.
Timing covers he has a 69 date code for 25.00
A running 383/727 combo can run you into 800.00 to a grand inclusding related parts for upgrading to big block on your car.
Big blocks do command a more premium compared to small blocks since the B body demand for big block conversions has not declined.
PM me if interested.
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2009, 03:42:00 PM »

You know, unless there is bad scoring in the cylinders, or scuffing scratches, all you really need to do is have the crank polished and put in new bearing and an oil pump.  Check the cam bearings out.  You can cut mega bucks that way.  Why fix what isn't broke?  Fob will go allot quicker.  You can wash out the motor just by flipping it over and over and using some solvent.  Diesel fuel, while smelly, will suck up that moisture and is ultimately a lubricant.

But if you are kicking the jugs out, then plan on at least a honing and new rings.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2009, 04:04:30 PM »

You guys are totally awesome. Thanks for all the great info. I should get this ol' gooey small block outa this Fury...I don't know though...I have my reservations. I'll take more photos after I get the timing chain cover off. Thanks for all the moral support guys...You are too good to me.

furyfever2009-03-21 09:36:22
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2009, 05:33:22 AM »

Took some photos after getting timing chain cover off last night. Notice there's actually two holes in timing chain cover...and a third hole almost through. As far as the chain goes...looks like more than 1/2" slop. Last night on chat...I think consensus was to change upper gear only + chain? Also...I believe proper order of assembly should pan after timing chain cover...Well.....since I now have timing cover off..does this mean I have to take pan off too? I'm trying not to pull motor now...I don't have the technology or help. Can I put timing cover back on with pan in place? Thanks, Bob

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2009, 06:38:22 AM »

That is amazing!! I would never have thought a casting could get eaten
right through like that!  This place is a world of info!!  So
were those always cast AL, or were they ever made of iron? How about B
blocks like my 58 350?

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2009, 08:51:18 AM »

I talked to my mechanic today....he said new timing chain and both gears, clean everything out really good, put it back together and change the oil twice after running it to operating temperature both times. If it's gonna live it will live...if it isn't then there's not much more you can do without the lower end coming apart.
 The engine will tell you which way it's gonna be....watch oil pressure and temps real closely and listen for any weird noises....also it's a good idea to run straight water for these test runs....why have antifreeze poison the oil all over again? Water will be easier to remove if something else goes wrong. Once you're finished you can add the glycol.
These engines are pretty tough and he sees a LOT of them as a few of his fleet customers run Dodge smallblocks in their vans and trucks. That water pump corrosion has happened to them as well.

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2009, 07:09:16 PM »

Enough slop for me to change the chain and gears.
I always change them out as a complete set.
We are dealing with a Mopar here--not a SBC (small block Chebbie)
Both gears are worn to the chain.Do both gears.
Doing the upper gear only with a new chain is like installing a new cam and re using your old lifters--not smart unless you enjoy doing things twice.
FWIW,it is worth the extra coin to install the Mopar timing chain tensioner.
P007709. It stabilizes timing by reducing slack.
Page 78 in the Mopar Performance catalogue..
http://www.mo-pod.com/pdf/09_Performance_Catalog-120908.pdf
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2009, 09:46:08 PM »

I never saw that before Lea....isn't it a Magnum only item? If not it looks like a neat part

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2009, 07:10:08 AM »

Can be used on any LA block.
My engine builder swears by them. 
BTW,Bob called me this morning.
I am going to meet him in Clayton,NY.
He is getting a replacment timing cover.
TTFN!!
CBarge2009-03-22 11:15:28
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

glen cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2009, 12:59:55 PM »

I put one of those tensioners on my LA stroker,as they say it helps with harmonics also!. It bolted right in there with just a few tweaks!. It would actually take up all that slack in that 318 chain,as there is quite a bit of tension!. I agree with all of you's about suggesting a complete matched set!. Take a look at that fuel pump eccentric while you are there as i've seen these wear down badly also!. The timing chain gasket set will have a new seal for the timing cover make sure you change that and maybe a new repair sleeve for the damper also! Both come in the same Fel-Pro gasket set at Rock Auto #TCS45284 for $29.00! I'm not sure if there is an installation tool with that,but you can keep the balancer in you're freezer overnight (shrinkage as most guy's can relate to) and put the sleeve in the oven at 400 for awhile and that sleeve should slide on with a little TLC!. Good luck!

Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC