MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 318 w/ antifreeze in the oil  (Read 4376 times)

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
318 w/ antifreeze in the oil
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2009, 04:51:54 PM »

That's great news!

The oil galleries to the cam and mains need to be blown out with compressed air....hopefully he is set up to do that...

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2009, 04:53:20 PM »

Here's some of the photos Lea and I were discussing. Since the motor was running well right up until I discovered this problem, I think a $10.00 set of gaskets and a few hours of clean up is a reasonable route to take to see if this ol' 318 can be saved. The more I think about it...I'd rather not sink the $$$ into getting it rebuilt right now. I'd rather put it towards a big block should the need arise.  
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2009, 05:10:15 PM »

This is why I glue all of my gaskets....whether it may have to come apart someday or not....that's what gasket scrapers are for!
Best Holley carb I ever had ran great because I sprayed ALL of it's gaskets with High Tack.....

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2009, 05:58:31 PM »

Bob

The first picture was the one I was talking about
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2009, 06:03:53 AM »

[/QUOTE]

Stitchr...That's what I used on these gaskets "High Tack Spray a Gasket Sealant" by Permatex back in early 2006!! (later my transmission guy found a soft plug leak in the rear of the motor under the trans. that I thought earlier was coming from the rear of the intake...that was the reason for me redoing the intake). Anyway...I used the same stuff on my 70's 318 last summer. It still seems to be ok. I am scratching my head on why this happened. By the way, there is absolutely no evidence of that bright red spray permatex anywhere on either side of the gasket?? Is it antifreeze/oil soluable????? I wouldn't think so! Maybe I didn't spray enough on? I remember the guy at the parts counter telling me "just a light coat on both sides"  Also, I can't remember if I went back after a few times running it and re-torqued all the bolts to 35 ft lbs...Maybe that was it...Before I pulled the intake yesterday, I did find a few bolts on both sides that did take more tightening to get to 35 ft lbs...(just a little)

Sheesh, I didn't know this was a science!

Bob
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

azblackhemi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2009, 06:34:53 AM »

One possibility no one mentioned is a hole in the timing chain cover. My 69 Polara with a 318 had a dime size hole corroded in the aluminum timing chain cover right behind the water pump that filled the crankcase with coolant almost instantly. That would also explain why it still ran good. I'll post a pic later
Horder of all NY'er's Newports, 300's and all other interesting "C" Bodies.Road Wheels AND SNAKES!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 06:44:35 AM »

Wow

I never saw that Chris.  Must have been a bad casting.

Bob and I spoke last even.  He went on to explain he had some oil mix, "Brown Goo" drip to the floor from the intake area.

That is a good point and something to look for

By the way Bob, I was thinking about that inner tube.  It will take forever to pump that up with a rad tester.  Better go to plan B

azblackhemi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2009, 07:46:11 AM »

Horder of all NY'er's Newports, 300's and all other interesting "C" Bodies.Road Wheels AND SNAKES!!

azblackhemi

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2009, 07:49:16 AM »

From what I was told when I found this problem is it does happen from time to time. My guess is a negleted cooling system is probably to blame on mine.

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2009, 07:52:21 AM »

I've never seen that before Chris!! The coolant must have been almost like battery acid to eat the aluminum like that.

Bob,Just for giggles-- and since the engine is sorta apart--it will only take a few minutes to pop the water pump off to have a peek.

Need to rule out any possibilities,IMO.
CBarge2009-03-15 11:53:13
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

azblackhemi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2009, 07:55:35 AM »

The guy I bought the used timing chain cover from said he's sold a few of them for the same reason. Even the one I bought is pitted but no holes.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2009, 07:58:49 AM »

really.

Of all the 318's and 360's I have owned, I have never seen that.  Maybe it's an invironmental thing.  Thanks for straighteneing me out.

Well then.  Bob, looks like we have another possibility for the list.  Learn something new every day

Butch Houghton

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2009, 08:02:55 AM »

Timing cover,    I'll buy that one too.   Might have a look for sure.   It would certainly dump the antifreee in there.

I've seen a lot of seriously corroded cover's but never a hole,  but I sure have seen a bunch of the aluminum thermostat housing's corroded all the way through.

Butch

68 Dart GT - 394 Stroker/6 Pack
70 Fury Gran Coupe - 472 Hemi
70 Sport Fury - 383 Magnum FK5

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2009, 09:08:48 AM »

Well this would make sense since there was a gallon or so of antifreeze in the oil pan! Would a small trickle from a bad intake gasket do that? I mean...I performed the EXACT same intake manifold removal/cleanup/reinstall procedure on my 70 Ply. last summer and that's ok?...I run the car very little too. You need running pressure for an intake manifold gasket to leak...A hole somewhere like the timing chain cover...no pressure needed. Also...I've had three soft plugs replaced in the last 3 years because they were rusted through. I did one of them myself and I couldn't believe the brown gooey sludge that was behind it! I have a feeling the little old lady that owned her in Pa. for all those years didn't do too much with the cooling system. Oh boy...I think I'm rethinking what to do here. I probably should have her dismantled, hot tanked and rebuilt....Its only money right? (My favorite saying when I'm trying to justify spending on toys) or should I look for a 383 to rebuild....

This sure is a

A positive note...It sure will take my mind off waiting for MLC to build my 58 Plymouth !

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2009, 10:10:56 AM »

[/QUOTE]

Phew!  I thought I lived a charmed life.  I was thinking with all the small blocks I've had I have never seen a bad cover.  Maybe it's the water.  Anti-freeze is supposed to prevent that from happening.

Bob, it is possible, but based on you finding that "Brown goo" on the floor and seeing the drainage trail on the back of the engine, it very well could be a bad intake gasket too.  For all we know, it could be both.  The only way to be sure is put it back together and pressure test it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC