MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: 318 w/ antifreeze in the oil  (Read 4340 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
318 w/ antifreeze in the oil
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2009, 12:33:08 PM »

Quote from: firedome
I'd say head gasket too, BUT... shouldnt he have seen major white smoke out the tailpipe, burning coolant in the combustion chamber? Happened to me once on a '65 Olds 350 and it made enough white smoke to camouflage a battleship squadron... and that was with a blown gasket on just one of the heads... eh?

Not necessarily

The head gasket can easily push antifreeze into the oil too.  It all depends on where the leak is in the gasket
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2009, 01:35:20 PM »

That makes sense. Unfortunately I had the smokescreen AND had the milky oil going on too. 

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 02:30:43 PM »

Hey guys...I'm draining the crankcase right now...before I did....I measured 7"...The brown milkshake on the dipstick....normal full is about 1"...I unscrewed the oil plug just a little....pure antifreeze came out...filled up the whole oil pan...now I'm going to take the plug right out and get the milkshake out....I took all 8 plugs out...They all look the same..brown reddish color.
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 03:56:42 PM »

The plugs are the same because it wasn't burning off the antifreeze.  pressure was pushing it into the crankcase.  Or you have, shutter the thought, a crack

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 04:12:45 PM »

Bob's car has to be seen to be appreciated.
The red on red combo (with black vinyl top) is stunning and retina searing.
His engine bay is soo clean that if you ate from the pie tin you would only make it dirty.LOL!!
A classy car that does not need a 500HP big block to stand out from the rest.

Bob,get some mover's blankets to protect them thar red hot fenders!
It might be easier to pull the motor and work on it on an engine stand to save your back compared to hunching over under the hood.

His car shown first one on the left at Liverpool 2007 Mopar Madness:

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 04:32:22 PM »

For what it's worth...Here's some photos...I estimate about a gallon of antifreeze came out of the crankcase and then 7 quarts of brown milkshake. I checked the head torque...4 out of 5 were 95 or more ft. lbs. (spec) on driver side and 3 out of 5 were 95 or more ft.lbs. on passeneger side. The 3 that weren't 95 were close because torque wrench "clicked" shortly after bolts turned...so apparently it's not because of a loose head(s). One of the shops I called to day said don't remove the heads or the intake...because I'll ruin the evidence. If I hire the rebuild out...it sounds like the shop that does it ,will want to find out what failed themselves...Does this make sense? I really would like to find out...Why can't I figure out what failed and tell them? What would you guys do?

Bob 
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 04:56:18 PM »

If a shop only relies on visual to tell what happened, then they are idiots if they warrantee it!
As a shop, I would send the block out for pressure testing and magnafluxing before the rebuild.  I say go ahead and do an exploratory....maybe it will tell you an obvious tale of what happened and you may get away with a good clean-out and bearing replacement...
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 04:59:00 PM »

Exactly what I've already done myself.  Build or buy your dream engine and THEN  swap it out. No leaning over fenders.  No suffering sacroliiacs.
The thought of rebuilding an engine still in the car scares the hell out of me.
Commando12009-03-13 21:01:41

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 06:51:36 PM »

As I have been saying, I have gone further on a bad internal leak on a 318 and the engine survived a long time afterwards.  The bearings finally gave up around 100 K later.

So. . . I agree with Bob.  You can't tell what's wrong by looking at it.

There is another posibility I forgot about and nobody else has mentioned. .  .

A bad intake gasket.  Unlike the Big blocks, the LA intake is wet.  It could be an intake gasket dumping water into the oil.  Since the intake had to come off anyway. . . .  It's a good start.  If you see a gap in the gasket or a place where there are traces of antifreeze  under a gasket, then BINGO!

I would get a shop wet/dry vac and suck all that water out of the head valleys..  Change the intake gasket and try it out.  If it fai;ls, it cost you a gasket set.

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 07:30:16 PM »

Thankyou Steve...very good thought. I've done an intake manifold before...last summer on my 70. I know what to expect. I'll keep you posted as to what I find out...

Bob

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 07:32:17 PM »

Pull  the intake first.Go from there.

1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 07:37:53 PM »

Bob,if it is more than the intake,the Dippy is gassed up on standby.
She is no stranger to the 'North Country",LOL

CBarge2009-03-13 23:40:36
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Butch Houghton

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 06:13:13 AM »

I say it's cracked somewhere.   That much antifreeze I say the bearings are wiped.   I had a fresh motor fill the crankcase up like that in 30 minutes of running time & pulled it down....bearings were toast.  And that was idling.

Hate to say it,  I think you got major problems. I hope it's a gasket but I've got a feeling it is'nt  .   We just had a motor here that had 20K miles on it & pulled for a bigger engine 6 years ago.    Motor was perfectly fine then & we pulled it apart to inspect & put new gaskets in.    Driver-side head developed a crack.  All we can figure is that pulling the head & re-torqueing  one last time put the stress on an already weak spot.

I have seen 2 318's with cracked blocks too,  both still ran fine.

I know it's not what you want but be prepared just in case.

Butch

68 Dart GT - 394 Stroker/6 Pack
70 Fury Gran Coupe - 472 Hemi
70 Sport Fury - 383 Magnum FK5

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 11:11:24 AM »

Wow Bob, I feel your pain!

I'm afraid I agree with Butch, that much raw antifreeze in the bottom of the pan is not coming from a little gasket blow out, there's a major hole some place.

A blown head gasket will suck antifreeze into the cylinder on the down stroke and you'll see a white exhaust. On the up stroke fuel and possibly some oil will get forced back into the water jacket and you'll see signs of oil in the rad. I doubt its a head gasket.

The intake manifold could be cracked on the underside or one of the manifold to head gaskets could have failed, this type of failure could pour lots of coolant into the valley and straight down to the pan.  If when your engine was last rebuilt,  they shaved the block or the heads and didn't also fit the intake manifold, the manifold may have simply split open.

I'd pull the intake first. If the leak isn't obvious then you need to decide whether to continue pulling parts and risk body damage, or just bite the bullet and pull the engine.

If the block is cracked then you can pick up another 318 or maybe sneak in a 383 or 440. <Grin>

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 03:18:13 PM »

Bob and I were bouncing back and fourth and based on the pics he sent me, the intake gasket is no good.
So,he will try another set,clean 'er up and go from there.
As Steve mentioned,all that he will be out of pocket is a set of gaskets should he have to tear down the heads.
Let's hope for the best.

CBarge2009-03-14 19:19:45
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC