MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How about the 90ies Mopars?  (Read 390 times)

Jacques

• View Profile
How about the 90ies Mopars?
« on: March 12, 2009, 11:33:55 AM »

I was wondering, are the mid-to-late nineties Chryslers reliable cars? (like the last NYers, 300-M, ....) I know the assembly quality cant measure up to European standards, but i dont really care about that. I'm more interested in reliability/durability of the engine, tranny, suspension parts and of the electrical system. Could I safely buy a car with say 100.000 miles on it and axpect to easily add another 150k to it? Are these cars OK with all day long 100mph highway driving? What are common problems?

These cars are quite exotic over here, so no real data on it locally.... I read that they use quite a lot of front brake pads, and that the tranny's would sometimes need a rebuild even befor hitting 100.000 miles...

ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 01:20:49 PM »

As far as I know, you'd be happy with the assembly quality.  Today it's as good as the european shtuff.

As afr as reliability. . .

The only thing you need to do is make sure you buy a car that was maintained with Oil Changes.  All of the US engines had a tendancy of sludging if the owners didn't get regular oil swaps.

I believe Chrysler is now shipping with Synthetic oil.   That's the way to go.  But from what I've seen of them otherwise, Dodge seems to be the most reliable and have the least problems.

Get a Hemi Charger.  That's the only way you'll be happy.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

James Brown Jr,

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 02:23:46 PM »

i thought the 2.7 was the only engine with sludging problems
176K miles 10/22

Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 02:33:27 PM »

A Hemi Charger really is out of my budget: Before it is registered here, I'd pay at least 64% taxes + duties on the purchase price, and some $2-3000 shipping, and $3-4000 for a decent propane injection system.

I'm just looking around for what's possibly my next daily beater. Doesnt need to be fast, big or anything, just a dependable small car that does well on the European highway (where I spend most of my time in the car).

Used 300-Ms are for sale at affordable prices (they were sold new here, unlike Dodges, so there are a few used 300-Ms around) and the 3.5 V6 seems to run pretty well on propane (a must for me).

The 300-C is actually pretty popular over here, but still too expensive at this time, and styling-wise, I really prefer the 300-M. The new Hemi seems to react really well on propane, I heard of a German Moparbuddy who had his SRT-8 converted, and gained 80hp extra in the process.

ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 02:50:10 PM »

I know where there is a K Car pretty cheap

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 03:43:38 PM »

You will be very happy with a clean well-maintained 300M Sjak.....my friend has had one since new and when it came time to replace it with maybe a 300C all wheel drive, his wife refused to give it up....so he bought himself a new Lexus and she drives the 300M everyday.

I got to drive one (when they were just coming out) at the Englishtown, NJ dragstrip when I had a special pass for the day from Chrysler. The parking lot was set up as a obstacle course and the first test was the anti-lock brake test: the woman told me to drive real fast and slam on the brakes. She would then tell me what the speed radar registered. Well, I floored it and it smoked the tires, ran through 3 gears and then I stomped on the brakes. It was very impressive. I asked her what it did and she said she was sorry but had her eyes closed during the run! Apparently none of the other test drivers there knew what "drive it like you stole it" meant!

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 05:25:45 PM »

And Bob has a bridge for sale too

He drives like an old woman. . .Well he is!

Tom Dawson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 07:09:13 PM »

Sjak the 300m's or Dodge Intrepids with the 3.2 are very reliable, I have had a 99 Intrepid ES with a 3.2L for 5 years no major problems, love the car, it runs like a raped ape, has plenty of power. You would not be disappointed if you bought one.
Tom
They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad( O Brother Where Art Thou? )

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 07:56:12 PM »

Someone needs to up Steve's meds.....
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

James Brown Jr,

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 08:03:29 PM »

BUY THE K-CAR.
if you don't mind working on your cars alot there great.

BTW just kidding.
176K miles 10/22

Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 12:46:10 AM »

Quote from: furyman67
Sjak the 300m's or Dodge Intrepids with the 3.2 are very reliable, I have had a 99 Intrepid ES with a 3.2L for 5 years no major problems, love the car, it runs like a raped ape, has plenty of power. You would not be disappointed if you bought one.
I like the Intrepid's styling even more than the 300-Ms, but unfortunately, the Intrepid was never sold over here, and the import process is still quite expensive for cars between 6 and 10 years old so no Intrepid for me :(

And how about the transmissions? As far as I know, these cars were only delivered with automatics, are these any good?

Jacques

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 03:17:10 AM »

And the 94-97 LHS/NYers, are these cars any good? I like their sleek classic sedan styling (for a modern car) and there are a few for sale from time to time, although they usually ran some 150.000miles, is that a problem on these cars? Will they easlily reach 250.000miles?

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 01:46:44 PM »

Have a good frine who bought a Concorde in '94, still have it, no major
problems, about 120K miles which is 170 Kilometers ...oh and that's
pronounced Kee low-meeters ... NOT kill OM iters, BTW... that's a pet
peeve of mine, what with having been in science for 30 yrs and all.
Sorry for the rant!!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 01:48:34 PM »

Actually more like 200Km on the Concorde , since 62 mph = 100 kph

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

duane hussey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 01:56:57 PM »

have a friend of mine has a I believe 96 Interpid with in excess of 320000 KMS and his son is still driving it daily
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC