MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mileage out of the RV  (Read 354 times)

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Mileage out of the RV
« on: March 08, 2009, 05:03:29 AM »

Hi guys, it's been a while.. working on the Racing Mower again.. I wrecked last years mower in  the last race of the year, so I had to build a new one.

Anyways... I bought this last year..

It has a 360, with a thermoquad, dana 60 with 4.10 gears.

This issue is the mileage.  It gets 11.5 MPG.  I shouldn't expect anything great but this is what I'm thinking of doing to help mileage.

Newer intake something like a Edelbrock highrise dual plane. or adding a carb spacer. Something to help the bottom end. Maybe switching the Thermoquad for a newer Edelbrock /Carter AVS carb.

Adding headers.

Dual exhaust.

Recurved Distributor.

Do you think any of these changes will help?

Also.. after it gets hot, the oil like flickers at idle. I'm wondering if I install a high volume pump this might help the oil pressure issue. The engine has 130 000 miles on it.

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mileage out of the RV
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 07:58:01 AM »

Jason

It's like driving an erodynamic brick
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Johnny D.

• View Profile
Mileage out of the RV
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 08:35:10 AM »

lower the rear gears maybe? less scoot but should do better on the highway no? 3.23 or 3.55?

"Rock and Roll's been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died."- John Milner

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Mileage out of the RV
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 09:06:49 AM »

Hey Jason's back!  

run for your life!!!

Just kiddin....I would put a RV cam in it, and maybe the throttle-body style EFI like Polaraco had in his Gold Fury. Free flowing exhaust too. A new oil pump wouldn't hurt...high volume or not. Rear gear swaps are tricky in a Dana, the case has to be spread apart slightly to get them out/in.....besides your trans is geared to moving that hulk with those gears in there...could put a Gear Vendors Overdrive after the trans....

BTW, how does one wreck a lawnmower and survive ? Just wonderin....

stitcherbob2009-03-08 13:13:02
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Mileage out of the RV
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 09:47:22 AM »

I climbed the back wheel of another racer and rolled the tractor over. It got twisted and flattened..

..  I know these motors don't get good mileage.. but 11.5 mpg is pretty bad.. I get 16.5 mpg with the Windsor with a Big Block

Jason

firedome

• View Profile
Mileage out of the RV
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 05:15:39 PM »

Oil light flickering at low rpms.... can we say BEARINGS??!!! Time for a new mill.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Mileage out of the RV
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 06:13:32 PM »

.... I was thinking that also...

It doesn't look like it would be much fun swapping a motor in an RV... do you have to take the motor out the door?

Can you not drop the pan and do a bearing swap or pull the crank without removing the rest of the rotating assembly? I know they can do a bearing swap on Semi's without removing the engine..

I assume the crank would need to get ground as the excess clearances of the bearing and the crank is making the low oil pressure..

That why I thought maybe with a high volume pump I can at least keep the oil flowing better than the stock unit..

BTW.. I got the Windsor out for a drive today and I loved every minute of it..

Jason

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Mileage out of the RV
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 06:24:32 PM »

If the crank isn't destroyed, I would swap in new bearings and oil pump and drive 'er....gotta be able to add a bunch of new miles to the odometer with new bearings...

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Mileage out of the RV
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 06:26:19 PM »

So do you just mic the crank  and slide in the new bearings?...

Doesn't seem too hard to do.. and I might as well slide in a new pump while I'm there.. I don't really need more pressure.. just more volume... keep that oil moving..

Jason

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Mileage out of the RV
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 06:52:36 PM »

Remember the old days when guys would shim the bearings out with shim stock to get more miles out of their cranks?
I would remove every other cap and spray with brakecleaner, then plastigauge those to see what's the clearances....of course if the crank is wiped you will see this and forget about  step 2 until you have the crank polished/cut. If the clearances are within reason all you need is a set of stock bearings. Shim only if needed. See this link:

http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/quest/INTERNAL_BLEEDING.html

You do not want more oil pressure just constant correct oil pressure....Hi-volume is good. High pressure oil pumps will cause your older engine to hemmorage at all gaskets!

stitcherbob2009-03-08 23:08:01

Tom Dawson

• View Profile
Mileage out of the RV
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 06:54:25 PM »

I go with lowering the rear gears that 360 shouild be screaming at highway speeds, the gearvendors over/under drive will help as well.
  Tom
They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad( O Brother Where Art Thou? )

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Mileage out of the RV
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 02:45:00 AM »

Remember that it has 32 inch tall tires on a  16 inch tim... that realy drops the ratio down.

I'm gonna put a tach in and go for a drive to see what kinda revs it turns..

Jason

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC