MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1968 AM/8-track Question  (Read 950 times)

Steve

• View Profile
1968 AM/8-track Question
« on: February 24, 2009, 01:59:27 PM »

I don't know if this is the right forum for this question, but here goes.

I found a 1968 AM(mono)/8-track(stereo) radio for my 1968 Sport Fury (to replace the original AM radio). The radio came with a complete harness (Thank God) with all the original connectors in tact. The problem is that there are like 5 or 6 connectors in various configurations. One connector has something like 6 contacts (?) and obviously plugs into a vehicle harness of some sort. The funny thing is, the entire harness originates with just three wires coming out of the radio. The power wire is Red and is not part of the harness.

Would anyone here have any idea how this harness connects to my car wiring? Mine only had one speaker in the dash (its a convertible and I didn't think a rear speaker was offered with drop tops). This harness is clearly for at least two speakers and maybe three. Who knows?

Also, is there anyone you know of who might have mopar schematics and radio parts for sale? I know I need a new belt for the 8-track.

I know some people think I'm nuts going to all the trouble of putting an AM/8-track radio in my car, when I could put in a modern radio instead. Well, for me, riding in an old car should be like a brief trip in a time machine. I don't want anything to spoil the illusion of cruising down the road like it's 1968 again. I still have alot of my old 8-track tapes of classic 60's rock, and that's all that I'll play in my car.

Thanks for any and all help, guys!

Uncle Hulka

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1968 Plymouth Sport Fury Conv w/Factory 440HP
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 w/Original B07 Police Package
1970 Chevelle 396

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
1968 AM/8-track Question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 04:52:23 PM »

Uncle Hulka:  My car came with it's factory 8-track and the first thing I thought of was "how cool is that".
Unfortunately, every 8-track tape I bought (yard sales, thrift stores, etc) had dried out. Many were unplayable and the rest were completely garbled.  And yes, my 8-track player was working properly.

So, you may want to to rethink this before you start investing time and money into this.

As they say....my 2 cents.

PS: I decided to forgo the cool factor and I pulled it for a modern radio.  Yah, yah, I know....

Commando12009-02-24 21:53:59

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
1968 AM/8-track Question
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 06:18:35 PM »

'verts did have a rear speaker option-it was in the middle of the rear seat behind a grille.
Most if not all 8 track stereos came with a three speaker dash.
The 8 tracks did come with an additional separate harness.
Best to check your FSM is should have it listed.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
1968 AM/8-track Question
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 06:37:05 PM »

You could get one of those 8 track to casset converters. . . .

Just a thoought
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
1968 AM/8-track Question
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 08:04:49 PM »

then add a cassette-to-cd converter....and then a cd to mp3 converter........

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• View Profile
1968 AM/8-track Question
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 02:12:44 AM »

Thanks for the response, guys.

1) I have a FSM so I'll give that a check. In GM land (where I grew up) radios had their own separate manual. Should've checked there first.

2) I see the grill in the rear seat that would accommodate a speaker, but literature I have indicated it wasn't available in a conv. I'll reread. Thanks.

3) I found a guy on ebay selling what is essentially everything I should need for my Model 390 Radio (schematics, alignment procedure, antenna trimming, etc.) so I hope to have this baby all rejuvenated by spring. I used to restore pre-WWII tube radios, but man there's not a lot of space to work in this radio.

Before I risk a good 8-track being consumed, I'll test it thoroughly with my collection of "Don Ho's Greatest Hits" 12-tape Set ;-)

4) Anyone know where I can find a belt for this baby?

Thanks as always!

Uncle Hulka

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• View Profile
1968 AM/8-track Question
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 07:55:52 AM »

Quote from: stitcherbob
then add a cassette-to-cd converter....and then a cd to mp3 converter........

Don't laugh....That's exactly my plan! I'll have an 8-track to cassette converter (somewhere). Then I'll use the cassette adapter that let's me play my ipod through my truck cassette player.

It'll be great! I love listening to old songs in old cars. In my '68 Delmont Conv., I bought a device that allows me to ply my ipod through the factory am/fm radio by injecting the ipos signal directly into the radio through the antenna jack. Way better than over-the-air FM transmitters.

If I can't get the 8-track player to work, I have an am/fm radio that I'll install instead. Either way, I'm gonna be cruisin' to cool tunes soon!

Come on, Spring!

Uncle Hulka

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC