MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: PCC Cars  (Read 480 times)

Snotty

• View Profile
PCC Cars
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 12:08:14 PM »

San Francisco - The City by The Bay - has these running as well.  It's funny to see actually.  There are normal busses, those above that run on electricity, the PCC trains, and then the Cable Cars.  It's like the city itself, "whatever you want...."
It's green here in Chico!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
PCC Cars
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 12:18:10 PM »

Quote from: Snotty
San Francisco - The City by The Bay -  "whatever you want...."

Yep.

Snotty

• View Profile
PCC Cars
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 02:07:42 PM »

I knew someone would understand!!
It's green here in Chico!!

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
PCC Cars
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 02:29:33 AM »

Well I didn't grow up with them, but I like trolleys a lot.

The only trolley lines in Michigan that lasted long enough to get PCC cars was the Detroit system, and they were gone by '54 or '55.

San Fransisco is an interesting case.  They ran PCCs until replacing most of them with newer Light Rail Vehicles in the late 70s.  When I visited in '91 there were a few historic cars stored, but all the regular service was with the LRVs.  Then in the late 90s they bought and refurbished a group of PCCs (from Toronto or Philadelphia I think) and use them on a newly constructed line.

Kenosha WI built a completely new system about 2000.  A new housing development was built near the lakefront on the site of a former Chrysler (Nash?) factory.  The streetcar tracks make a loop connecting this and a local museum to the downtown train station.  They have a fleet of half a dozen PCC cars, each painted in different vintage colors.  I have visited this line a couple of times.

Toronto has an extensive streetcar system and kept their PCCs until about 1990. I was there in '87 and saw a few.  The replacements are probably the most like the PCCs of any new transit equipment.

I saw the Pittsburg PCCs in '88 and '91, and then had the chance to ride much of the system in '92.  By '93 reconstruction of one of their main lines had the PCCs stored, and I don't think they have ever gone back into service.

In recent years Philadelphia has openned / closed / mothballed / reconstructed a number of streetcar lines depending on current budget and planning.  All of them run with PCCs.  When I was there in '93 the only thing operating was one line, but I believe several more are back now.

I rode the Newark NJ subway/streetcar line in 2000.  It was run with PCCs until the next year when they expanded the line and brought in new cars.

The Boston cars have escaped my attention so far (although as I look at this list, I'm starting to wonder if my visits are a curse of some sort? )

--------

Chicago had PCC cars of a sort until the mid 90's.  They retired their streetcars by 1958, but recycled many components into new elevated train cars.   These I rode quite a few times.

---------

Finally,  there is the Charles St line in New Orleans.  This route has never had PCCs since they are still using the original 1920's vintage cars.    They survived Katrina, and the full length of the line has just recently reopenned.

These Photos from Kenosha in 2004 are the only ones on my computer.  If I get a chance, I'll scan some of the earlier ones as well.

1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Mike

• View Profile
PCC Cars
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2009, 01:57:13 PM »

[TUBE]op3SxvJXwwk&feature=related[/TUBE]

Enjoy Fellas!

Part of the Jersey Mob.

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
PCC Cars
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 01:48:34 AM »

I froze my cajones off in the winter and sweatted to death in the summer on those cars.
They were always late and excruciatingly overcrowded.
Every moron, psychopath, and mental defective crammed into those things.

Ah, the memories.  I miss those days.... 

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
PCC Cars
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 05:32:56 AM »

You weren't supposed to take the one destined for "STATE PSYCHIATRIC HOSPITAL"

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Tim Kelly

• View Profile
PCC Cars
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 09:57:22 AM »

[/QUOTE]

These are still in operation in Dayton, Ohio, but newer models than the one pictured.
1972 Imperial 2 Door Hard Top
1969 Chrysler 300 Convertible
2006 Chrysler Hemi C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC