MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: carb drains  (Read 469 times)

Andy

carb drains
« on: March 23, 2009, 07:28:06 PM »

A Friend has a 69 Super Bee. When the car is parked for a while the carb drains and it takes forever to start the car. What could be the cause. Rebuild the carb?

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
carb drains
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 07:32:55 PM »

which carb does it have?

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Snotty

• View Profile
carb drains
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 08:35:20 AM »

This is common tranch.  It's usually not that the carb drains, but that the fuel in the carb boils out after the motor has been hot.  If I start my car every day it will fire right up.  If I start it once a week it will crank for a few seconds.  If I drive it for a good distance and then park, regardless of when I try, it will crank for quit a while before starting.

Have you buddy swap the starter for a newer one, or a high-speed starter - they help.
It's green here in Chico!!

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
carb drains
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 10:35:22 AM »

I dump fuel in the carb if it has been sitting.. that's with my carter carb

If it has a holey put fuel in a plastic bottle with a small tip and fill the bowls through the vents on the top of the carb.

You can olso put a small 6-8 psi pusher pump at the tank to fill the carb before trying to start..
Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Andy

carb drains
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 01:37:29 PM »

Yeah it's a Carter carb and when she wants to start the car she dumps a little gas down the carb to start it. Scared hell out of her the last time she did it though, it backfired through the carb !  First time it ever did that but now she's afraid to pour gas in it again!

Car rarely gets driven. It only has 51,000 original miles on it. It's been sitting in her garage now for 3 years. Hasen't been started just sitting there collecting dust. Told her I'd tune it and get it running for her this summer so I can drive it!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
carb drains
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 04:22:14 PM »

Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
carb drains
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 04:53:44 PM »

Tell her I'll take that Superbee off her hands for a coupla hundered....seein that the carb leaks and all....

Steve (AKA Joliet Jake)- saddle up the trailer.... we're on a mission from God

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Andy

carb drains
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 06:36:01 PM »

I've been tryingg to convince her for YEARS she shouldn't drive a car like that and she should give it to me. EVen tried telling her we could pull the 383 out of her car, stick it in my Chrysler and put the Hemi in her car! No Deal! Just one of them Damned uncooperative womens!
Only pictures I have is from a few years ago of her, her late husband and the car, and a second picture when she entered it in a show in Chicago at McCormick Place. It's a 150 mile round trip to her place so I won't be getting new pictures very soon!

Andy

carb drains
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 06:36:35 PM »

glen cyr

• View Profile
carb drains
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 08:42:41 PM »

Today's fuel is crap and it evaporates real fast in the bowls and Carters are well known for this!. If you want to keep the whole system intact and want a huge improvement! Do what Snotty suggested!. Change that starter to the newer small version from the newer magnum trucks and vans! When i did that to mine when i had the Carter on,it fired within about 2-3 seconds after sitting for a few days!. It was not fun and downright embarasing going to a car show and having the hood up and showing everone the nice engine,then when i went to leave,...the <#^{>'n thing wouldn't start! That new starter kicked it over,faster than,..Bush could say "Let's invade Iraq"!.

Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC