MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I Crazy? How can this be?  (Read 4083 times)

Steve

• View Profile
Am I Crazy? How can this be?
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2009, 03:09:06 PM »

Hey guys, if my engine is a 1968 (which it is according to the casting date) and is the 10 tool revision, how can Sticherbob's 440 be a 1972 with a 9th tool revision?

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1968 Plymouth Sport Fury Conv w/Factory 440HP
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1969 Oldsmobile Delta 88 w/Original B07 Police Package
1970 Chevelle 396

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2009, 03:14:27 PM »

'Cuase Bob's just that much less of a tool?  Did I say that? 

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2009, 05:41:08 PM »

That must be Fresno humor.....??????

I think the tooling revisions were reset at the beginning of the model years....just a guess

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 05:35:34 AM »

Ahhhhhh. That makes sense.

Hey, I was able to locate an identification number on engine on the bellhousing. It reads 8G202057 and verifies that this is not the original engine for my car. It is, however the right year and all the components and block have the date the original engine would have.

My question is how much does this impact the value of the car? It has the exact same engine it's supposed to which I know helps, but what do you guys think.

For the record, I don't love this car any less than before and I have no intention of selling it. I just want to know.

Uncle Hulka2009-03-02 10:36:29
Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2009, 07:45:51 AM »

Unc: In all seriousness, since it's a keeper, the correct "numbers" doesn't mean a thing to me.
This numbers game that everyone is so into now  is worth about $1.98 in my opinion.  It would only mean something to me if I was buying an investment grade museum piece.  And that ain't ever gonn happen...

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2009, 09:55:02 AM »

Copy that, Commando1, I hear what your saying and I agree whole heartedly. It was more of a question of insurance purposes. What is the value of a correct car vs a numbers matching car? I believe the value of the car (not the value I place on it, necessarily) lies in the fact that it left the factory as a 440HP. That said, what does the presence of a correct but non original engine (and trans.) do to the value?
Uncle Hulka2009-03-02 16:24:50
Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2009, 12:37:55 PM »

Not much, unless it's a Hemi or 440 six pack car.....many of which have engine transplants because they were built for racing and blown up (also a number of Hemis were replaced under warranty)....the #'s matching deal was to place an original car higher up on the value chart than one that was broken and repaired. The fact that it trickled down to even lowly slant 6 cars is a product of wishful thinking and the B-J disease....

Don't get me started on the 1-of-1 panther pink car with green interior, the only c-body wagon with a slant six and towing package, etc.... those are rare because the person who ordered it was a nincompoop

stitcherbob2009-03-02 17:40:11
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2009, 02:18:51 PM »

I'm hip, especially about Barrett-Jackson Derangement Syndrome. Ludicrous prices, but the axiom holds that the defining characteristic of value is determined by how much someone is willing to pay to own a given item. That being said, the insane prices a few well-heeled, individuals are willing to cough up to own a musclecar have changed to hobby. Essentially ripping the cars from the hands of gear heads with a genuine passion for Detroit muscle. Their new owners are either:

a) seeking stable investments after the stock market shake-up in 1986-87
b) enthusiasts who happen to be financially superior.

What the current financial situation will do to the hobby is up for debate, but in the short term, I am seeing prices tumble and that makes me happy for those of us who are in it for love of the cars for what they are and not for whatever financial gain can be squeezed from them.

WHEW! Sorry for the blather, friends. I'm just excited to see prices coming back down to levels that are within reach to the average, working-class car nut. Oh, the ultra-rare/special/performance cars will still be beyond the reach of us, but more and more cars will become attainable WHEN we are able to buy again (priorities like bills and mortgages first).

Jeez.....I forgot the point I was going to make and my question.

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2009, 03:30:08 PM »

Oh Yeah, now I remember.

Seriously, what do you think is the insured value of a 1968 Sport Fury L-code Convertible?

Uncle Hulka

1967 Oldsmobile 4-4-2
1970 Chevelle 396

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2009, 04:12:17 PM »

When I started diddling around with my car about 10 years ago, I rationalized that being one of the last convertibles built, a special order 440, numbers matching and one owner,  that it might just be worth something someday. Well now that I've watched the C-Body world for the last bunch of years, I've come to the conclusion that rare and numbers matching means squat in  their world. I highly doubt if I sold the car that I would get ten cents on the dollar to a C-Body man. So I've decided to forget about worth, value, etc. and just enjoy playing with my toy!  I figure if I get tired of it or something else takes my fancy, I'll just give it to one of my kids and let them ponder its value. 

Many C-Body owner's seem to be quick to point out even the smallest variations from stock and make full use of another axiom, "Talk is cheap!".  Paradoxically the same people sit on their wallets when a true gem goes up for sale and scream highway robbery!

"Value is what people are willing to pay" for most things, however, when it comes to BJ auctions it seems to be "Price is what the last guy was willing to pay plus a bunch!".   For some reason BJ buyers seem to award recognition to those who pay the most ridiculus prices and will battle among themselves for the privaledge to buy it back next year at an even greater price. A very strange world these people live in.  

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2009, 04:29:29 PM »

What's my car worth?  Less than I bought it for and about a third that I'm into it for.  And I don't care.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2009, 04:39:29 PM »

I'll give you $1500 for it.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2009, 04:48:23 PM »

Ain't selling.