MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: For the Warbird Enthusiasts  (Read 621 times)

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
For the Warbird Enthusiasts
« on: January 23, 2009, 10:34:48 PM »

I've been working on converting stuff I shot on VHS to DVD, and came across this clip from Aug 1997.

The little local airport in Mason MI had an airshow that included a visit from the B-17 based at Willow Run.  At the end of the day they did a couple of VERY low flyovers before heading home.

[TUBE]mHL3wRvySeM&feature=channel_page[/TUBE]
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 04:12:15 PM »

Thats Awesome stuff Dan! The old flying fortress, was a helllo an airplane.

Part of the Jersey Mob.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 06:12:55 PM »

I saw a flock of those in Indiana a couple of years ago.  They were on approach into an air port.  I saw at least 5 of them.  But I couldn't stop because of the narrow shoulder and I had the VOAB on the trailer.  I wanted to take pictures of that so bad too.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 10:39:59 AM »

That's my favorite warbird, thanks Dan!

The National Warplane Heritage Museum in Elmira, New York puts on a fantastic show every August.  The last one I attended had seven B-17's in the air!
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 03:06:06 PM »

Gee Matt

I agree the 17 was a great plane, but I still like the 25 better.

Find out when that is this year. . .Maybe we can have a gathering there.  It's near Roachester too, so Bob won't have any excuses.

I've been looking all over for that picture of me taxiing a B-29 in Caldwell, NJ.  LEFT SEAT!

Like I was licensed for that. . . LOL  The owner was a multi instructor so I was able to log 6 hours in a B 29.  It was awsome.  But remember to bring a towel for your forehead in the summer. . .  Cockpit ventilation leaves allot to be desired.

POLARACO2009-01-25 20:10:01
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 02:17:43 PM »

Nice idea for a gathering, however they don't host air shows anymore.  The airworthy warbirds were sold-off a few years ago including their restored B-17G "Fuddy Duddy".  There is still a museum there with a nice collection of static craft but it's not the same. 

I remember when the National Warplane Museum (the original organization) first recieved that B-17 in 1983, it was a mess-but it arrived in Geneseo, NY. under it's own power.  It became one of the finest restored Forts in the nation IMHO.

The NWM still puts on a fine air show every summer.  The facilites are spartan, with a grass runway, but there are still many fine examples of historic flying classics in attendance.  Seeing an Avro Lancaster in flight and hearing four Rolls Royce Merlins in sync was an experience I will never forget!

http://www.1941hag.org/index.html

Geneseo is closer to Bob too     Who else is up for an air show?
Matt

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 01:30:59 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Gee Matt

I agree the 17 was a great plane, but I still like the 25 better.

The B-25 was the most versitle plane used by the USAAF in WWII.  It was used as a Bomber, armed transport (FDR often flew in one), carrier, ground attack, and once as a Carrier-borne aircraft.  Its wide use is one of the reasons why there are so many still flying today. 

I had the pleasure of standing underneath the port wing of one when the pilot fired it up!!!  I took some pictures - I'll never forget that day!

I think the B-17 was the most beautiful plane in the air in WWII, but when truly examined, it was obsolete by the time the war started.  It's love-affair is strickly based on the fact that it brought its crews home!  The B-24 was a better platform.
It's green here in Chico!!

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 02:10:57 PM »

The sound made by a B-25 at full-throttle is one I will never forget!

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/URG/b25mitchell.html
Matt

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 02:25:59 PM »

Sorry Snotty, I have to disagree on the B-24 being a better platform.  Yes, the 24 had a slightly longer range and could carry a heavier payload...  but it simply could not match the Flying Fortress in the areas of armament and the ability to absorb battle damage.  The B-17 was a design from the mid-1930's, however it earned it's rank from the men who flew on them during the 1940's conflict.

If you can find one, ask a man who flew on both in combat.  My g-uncle Gib Williams hated 24's.  He called them "flying-coffins", and was happy to be transferred to a different BG in 1943 that implemented the 17 against the Third Reich.
Matt

Tom Atkinson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 04:10:16 AM »

Kind of a good time for this.  Right now at Page Field here in Ft. Myers they have a B-17, B-24 and mustang.  They flew in on Monday open for display yesterday and today until noon.   $12.00 to tour them.  Rides on the bombers are 30 mins $425.  The mustang is $2,200 for 30 mins and $3,200 for 1hr.   I'm thinking I'll go for the hour in the mustang.  It's only money right.

I had the luck of meeting a guy years ago who flew both the B-17 and B-24 in WWII.  Some interesting stories.  He liked each for diffrent reasons and hated each for diffrent reasons.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 10:04:24 AM »

Quote from: Snotty
  It's love-affair is strickly based on the fact that it brought its crews home!  The B-24 was a better platform.

Hey Matt, you need to re-read my words as you agreed with what I said.  The men who flew them loved the '17 because it often brought them back.  "Often" was not always.  The '24 brought many crews back as well, but once it's hydraulics were damaged the beast went down.

Even so, the '24 had a faster speed, a higher bomb-load, and a much longer range than the '17.   The '17 was withdrawn from the Pacific for specifically lacking these three attributes.  The '24 remained the main bobmer in the Pacific until the arrival of the '29.   It's longer range was also the reason for it being used in Africa to hit targets in Italy, Romania, and Germany.  The '17 was mainly used in England.  Also, where some 9,000 B-17s were built, the B-24 was built in larger numbers than any US Bomber - to this day.

I love the B-17, so did my uncle who flew 30 missions with the 8th AF from July '43-April '44.  It brought him back on every occasion.  But he said he would have rather been in the faster '24 than the slow '17.  The only thing he liked better was the '17s higher ceiling.  When he was at 36,000 feet, he watched the '24s flying well below him.  They were faster, but they were also taking the Flak for which he was very grateful!

Everything is relative, but as to which was better at delivering payloads, the nod goes to the '24.

I had a Professor who flew Bombers.  When I asked him which he would rather fly he said the A-26 Invader.  He learned in '17s, flew '29s over Japan, then he got switched to the Invader - he thought he was in heaven!  A Bomber with the same payload as a '17 but the firepower greater than any bird in the air!  (16 .50 cal.)  His answer was quick and to the point.

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 12:50:37 PM »

I concur Brother Scott.  The Douglas Invader was an amazing aircraft that went on to achieve even more accolades during the Korean War. 
I found a few good pics of the A-26 on-line, but selected this one just for you...

Matt

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 01:15:31 PM »

Ha!  I was looking at that beautiful airframe - then I say the bare ass!  Flyboys!

That's a gorgeous plane!  There's one parked at Minter Field in Shafter, about 14 miles from here (Wasco).  It's being restored.

These planes have the distinction of being the olny ones to have fought in WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam.  The A1 Skyraider did not see combat in WWII, and the C-47 was a "combat" plane only in Viet Nam in the guise of the AC-47 "Spooky."  The A-26, renamed B-26 for Korea and then back again for Nam, had the distinction of being the last plane to shoot down an enemy over Germany.  16 of them were on a TO sortie when they say a flight of BF 109s.  The lead pilot ordered the flight to pickle their bombs and the  they attacked the 109s, taking down several before the Germans buggered out!

Yes sir, it was one Hell of a plane.  My dad never had the pleasure of working on one, but they were around him at several places he served as a mechanic for the Air Force. 

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 07:21:42 PM »

I've heard of tailgunners before, but that's ridiculous!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC