MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Le Baron de ma tante...  (Read 632 times)

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Le Baron de ma tante...
« on: January 20, 2009, 08:34:06 AM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28747620/

POLARACO2009-01-20 16:30:56

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Le Baron de ma tante...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 08:35:18 AM »

And why are links no longer "clickable"... 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Le Baron de ma tante...
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 11:31:40 AM »

Quote from: Commando1
And why are links no longer "clickable"... 

Drinking too much of that Iron Gut
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Le Baron de ma tante...
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 11:53:28 AM »

"Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it".....

Don't these idiots remember Simca, Renault, Rootes.......?    Fiat is a lousy choice for a strong Chrysler....

They stopped importing Alfas and Fiats into the U.S. years ago.....any wonder why?

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Ken

• View Profile
Le Baron de ma tante...
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 01:24:41 PM »

Fiat's a perfect choice because there is no overlap, and they have the new 500, which is the PERFECT small car that Chrysler needs and doesn't have to replace the Neon.

Oh, and here's the Abarth version

A turbo 1.4L with a 6 speed manual.  160HP.

I kinda like this one

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Le Baron de ma tante...
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 03:49:49 PM »

Does this mean it permanantly lubed?

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Le Baron de ma tante...
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 04:19:12 PM »

There's a guy in our car club with one of the older 500's.  I keep threatening him that I'm gonna put it in my trunk and use it for a spare...

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Le Baron de ma tante...
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 04:23:41 PM »

Le Baron de ma tante...
I just realized something. Fiat is Italian, not French...

But nobody here was swift enough to catch that anyway...

Commando12009-01-20 21:25:02

David McDonnell

• View Profile
Le Baron de ma tante...
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 08:39:50 PM »

ah....Chrysler woes.....a little history..........
In 1971 John Deere Co. was involved with a mutual marketing agreement with FIAT. We old womaned....and said, "Do we have to understand that we territory mgrs. will have to give up our Chevy Impalas & Plymouth Fury lll's to allow this foreign company in our history basket?...........JD Co. cancelled all merger talks w/ Fiat w/ in 30 days..........we became #1 in tractor sales world-wide in 1975.......all w/o FIAT...........

The recent Barrett/Jackson auctions in Scottsdale,AZ. prove that HEMI, MOPAR, and CHRYSLER Cars and Trucks make Chevy and Ford HIDE!!! ($115,000 for a STOCK Cuda 440 six pack)
Chevy 283 'vettes ('57-61) bringing 100-110 grand
and Mr. Barrett saying ...."This is the first American car to make one-horsepower per cubic inch in 1957..even though it was an optional add on code for FUEL-INJECTION............They may have sold 24 million dollars of "OLD CARS" last week...........
BUT!!!
Did not one think that in 1957, a 345 CU. IN. engine Desoto.........in a factory retail package gave 345 H.P. STOCK!!!! (the 300-C was 392 CU. IN. 375 HP)
DESOTO was the first stock American car to offer 1 HP/ per cubic inch............STANDARD EQUIPMENT)
Ford and Chevy tucked their tails and ran..........oh yea, chevy soon had a 409 w/ 425 hp and Ford had a 427 w/ 435 HP...........but Chrysler was there first w/ ONE HORSEPOWER/PER/CUBIC INCH DISPLACEMENT...in 1957
(truth be known........the Chrysler 300-B was offered the year before(1956) w/ a 354 CU. IN. Displaement engine, with options that put out 355 H.P.).........
Chrysler was always so far ahead........it took the public several years to find out that they were not LYING.
Ram-Induction Carburation.........
727 Auto trans that STAYED in 2nd gear......til 95
Swivel Bucket seats..........that Chevy copied 16 years LATER in a MONTE CARLO...........(Bought while sucking wine from a brown paper bag)
But our BABY went on and I bought a new 1986 Dodge Ram-Charger in 1986 in Atlanta..........and to prove my furthar belief in Chrysler Corporation...I bought a new 1986 Chrysler T/C Convertible on my way out the door......$41,000.00 for Chrysler and Lee Iaccoa........that day!
My loyalty to Chrys. Corporation can only be best described in 1971 when my new 1971 Dodge Charger R/T six-pak was side swiped by an International Harvester tractor, while my wife and young son were in the car.........The dealer who made the repairs....was the owner of my OWNER FINANCED HOME.......a GM DEALER!!!.......He gave me a 1964 Imperial 4 dr. sedan to drive for 4 weeks while my '71  R/T six pack was being fixed in his body shop.........the IMP. was purple and white........and loaded with opts. I almost cried when we had to exchange cars back.........6 weeks later.......and take my 440/6 pak back. (I sold 8 JD tractors, 4 Snowmobiles during that period......knowing my friends knew I had got into a "Recession" in sales.
My dark green, R/T back.............I hauled an off-duty trooper to Middlebury,VT. for a 48 hour ride back to Earlville,NY w/ a BIG WIDE JD TRACTOR to close the deal on a holiday week-end
(Memorial Day).........to allow me to make the down-payment on my first house........white w/ black shutters........on main st..........Earlville, NY.
Made my brother the JD dealer.........and moved on...

Later chapters to follow........Chrysler Corp. always near.

Dave McDonnell
670-248-0033 
Previously Owned:
'57 DeSoto Adventurer Conv.
'61 Chrysler 300G w/AutoPilot!
'71 Charger 440R/T 6Pak
Dave 870-248-0033 anytime

firedome

• View Profile
Le Baron de ma tante...
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 03:41:50 AM »

Not sure just what to make of that stream of random consciousness!

Fiat could be a very good matchup with Chrysler - they have some very
well engineered cars, and also they own VM Motori, one of the biggest
diesel mfrs in the world, something Mopar will need to offer... also
the Alfa Brera is an amazing car! The Italians still have it all over
anyone when it comes to styling. Of course, they also own Ferrari, and
Maserati, unmatched for cachet.   Fiat is a big company, I believe
# 2 in Europe after VW-Audi group. I loved the little 850 Spider that I
had back in the day, and even if it wouldn't get out of it's own way,
it was fun, something Fiats are known for!! In any event, Chrysler
can't exisit on it's own... should be interesting!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Jacques

• View Profile
Le Baron de ma tante...
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 11:41:11 PM »

Quote from: stitcherbob
Fiat is a lousy choice for a strong Chrysler....
Yes, but face the facts, there's no strong Chrysler now. I don't like Fiats either, I soo way too much of these garbage bins over here, but for Chrysler, a merger or cooperation with a large partner is a necessity right now.

ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

Jacques

• View Profile
Le Baron de ma tante...
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 05:54:44 AM »

Don't these idiots remember Simca, Renault, Rootes.......?
Yes, Simca had the FWD-technology which lead to the K-car, the car that saved the corporation in its day

They stopped importing Alfas and Fiats into the U.S. years ago.....any wonder why?

It's not necessarily about selling Fiats and Alfa's in the US or marketing Mopars in Europe. Its also (and mostly) about sharing development costs. Remember that Mopar doesn't have a decent diesel engine for smaller passenger cars, and maybe that isnt an issue where you live, but that has always held back Chrysler sales over here. The merger with benz was good from that point of view, as the (excellent) Mercedes diesels are very suitable for most passenger cars from Chrysler.

ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Le Baron de ma tante...
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 10:53:28 AM »

I know that VW provided early engines for the Omni/Horizon FWD's... as for Simca :

"Chrysler gains control
In 1958 the American car manufacturer Chrysler Corporation, which wanted to enter the European car market, bought 15% of the Simca stocks and further increased their holding and gained full control in 1963.[2] Also, in 1964 Chrysler bought the British manufacturer Rootes thus putting together the basis of Chrysler Europe.[2] All the Simca models manufactured after 1967 had the Chrysler pentastar logo
as well as Simca badging. In 1961 Simca started to manufacture all of
its models in the ex-Ford SAF factory in Poissy and sold the factory at
Nanterre to Citroën. The rear-engined Simca 1000 was introduced in 1961 with its sporting offspring, the Simca-Abarth in 1963. The 1000 also served as the platform for the 1000 Coupe, a handsome sports coupe sporting a Bertone-designed body by Giorgetto Giugiaro and 4-wheel disc brakes.
It debuted in 1963 and was described by Car Magazine as "the world's
neatest small coupe". 1967 saw the more powerful 1200S Bertone Coupe
that, with a horsepower
upgrade in 1970, could reach the dizzying speed of almost 112 mph (180
km/h), making it the fastest standard production Simca ever built.[4]
In 1967 a much more up to date car, the 1100, appeared with front wheel
drive and independent suspension all round, and continued in production
until 1979. On 1 July 1970 the company title was formally changed to Chrysler France.

[edit] The collapse of Chrysler Europe
The most successful pre-Chrysler Simca models were the Aronde, the Simca 1000 and the front engined 1100 compact car. During the late 1970s Chrysler era, Simca produced the new 160/180 saloon, 1307 range (Chrysler Alpine in the UK) and later the Horizon (Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon in the USA), both of which were European Car of the Year
on their launch. However, Chrysler's forced marriage of Simca and
Rootes was not a happy one, and Chrysler Europe collapsed in 1977 and
the remains were sold to Peugeot
the following year. The Rootes models were quickly killed off, and the
Simca-based Alpine / 1307 and Horizon soldiered on through the first
half of the 1980s using the resurrected Talbot badge. The last car to
carry the Simca badge was the 1980 Solara, a 1307 with a boot, but by
1981 this had become a Talbot."

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Jacques

• View Profile
Le Baron de ma tante...
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 12:44:02 PM »

Bob, there's one important difference between then and now. At the time, the acquisitions of Chrysler were meant as expansion on the European market, and except for Simca, those were stupid and reckless purchases, without much strategic thinking I guess.

But nowadays, Chrysler is almost comatose, and I dont see another way out, except a good merger or cooperation with another company. The choice for a European or Japanese manufacturer seems better than a merger with any other of the once-big 3, as Ford & GM are facing the same problems as Chrysler (obsolete US-car line, declining truck sales, etc)

Or do you see a better solution?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Le Baron de ma tante...
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 01:13:01 PM »

Quote from: Sjak Brak

Yeah

Close GM
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC