MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My dashboard is sticky!  (Read 3789 times)

Tim Kelly

• View Profile
My dashboard is sticky!
« on: January 12, 2009, 03:17:30 PM »

Sounds funny?...  
My dilema: There seems to be a sticky residue on the entire dash of my 300. I have never put anything on it to make this happen, but it's a pain to keep clean. In fact, it's just like a magnet to all the dandelion fuzzies that are floating around when I drivin with the top down. I have only used a damp cloth with warm water to wipe it off after driving. After it is cleaned and dries off, it's sticky again. What is a safe product to use without causing any damage?
My 300's dash might be a replacement from the original one. I'm not sure  if it is, but the fit seems to be slightly off, that is why suspect it's a replacement. Do replacement dashes have anytype of residue on them when new?
1972 Imperial 2 Door Hard Top
1969 Chrysler 300 Convertible
2006 Chrysler Hemi C

Brian

• View Profile
My dashboard is sticky!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 08:26:37 PM »

I'm guessing you have a 69-71 300....the dash pads of this era had something in the vinyl or the foam padding that creates this sticky residue....I have tried to beat it on several dash pads and have used eveything from laquer thinner, gas, solvents, bleach and other stuff and it always seems to come back.

There are no "new" dash pads for these cars...unless you send your orignal to Just dashes and spend the $500+++ for a recovering of your orignal.  This is probably the only way to truely get rid of the sticky residue as well.

Good luck.
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
My dashboard is sticky!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:23:12 AM »

That's the plasticizers migrating to the surface of the vinyl. Some vinyls had this problem, like the steering wheels on the late 80's-early 90's Mopars. The plasticizer is what makes vinyl flexible. When enough of it is gone, the vinyl cracks. I have a little of it on my 73 Imperial dash. I cleaned it with odorless mineral spirits and may have to paint the dash with a clear vinyl dye (water-based from colorplus.com) to keep it from coming back. Clear vinyl windows on convertible tops turn yellow and crack when this happens to them.

You can try lacquer thinner and a vinyl preservative on it for maintenance, but painting the vinyl may be the only fix, other than JustDashes.....

stitcherbob2009-01-13 11:23:27
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
My dashboard is sticky!
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 08:14:12 AM »

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Snotty

• View Profile
My dashboard is sticky!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 10:18:42 AM »

I have the same probem with my dash - I thought it was the result of using Armor-all.  I saw a '70 300 4-door years ago.  The dash was a fly-trap!  However, with all of the mice crap I saw, I figured it was from urine....

I've been vigourously wiping mine off - is this a bad thing?
It's green here in Chico!!

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
My dashboard is sticky!
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 01:41:55 PM »

The problem with plasticizers migrating out of the plastic is the material gets brittle. That's why I suggest the 303 stuff, it will replace some of the lost material and slow down the "getting brittle" process. The big thing is to stay very far away from petroleum products and silicons.  Armor-all is truly nasty stuff and should only be used on rice rockets. 

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
My dashboard is sticky!
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 08:23:59 PM »

Yeah, but if someone has been using ArmorAll for a long time with no bad results, they need to keep using it or suffer worse consequences....a customer of mine has a perfect 61 300G dash pad from using AA and if he stops it will dry out. I tried Turtle Wax's 2001 protectant and it looked and felt great....but not for seats!

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Tim Kelly

• View Profile
My dashboard is sticky!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 03:21:23 AM »

As surprised as I am, I see this is a common problem. I havn't used any product except Forula 409...once. That didn't work, so instead of using some other type of product, I have only used warm water since. I would not use Armor All at all. That product does seem to dry up plastic/vinyl and also causes surfaces to discolor. AA won't get my endorsement.
I can't see paying out huge $ to replace a dash that is in decent shape, so I'll just continue to clean as I have done so far. Thx for the replys
2006 Chrysler Hemi C

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
My dashboard is sticky!
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 10:58:06 AM »

Vinyl and rubber are polymers, rubber is a natural polymer and vinyl is a synthetic polymer. Polymers contain DOP (Di-sec-Octylphthalate), a plasticiser, which is the lubricant that makes polymers soft and pliable. DOP, over time, evaporates leaving the residual polymer brittle and prone to cracking and general disintigration if flexed.

DOP link  http://www.chemicalland21.com/arokorhi/industrialchem/plasticizer/DOP.htm

DOP has some UV resistance, but little resistance to petrolium and alcohol based solvents. Using petrolium or ammonia based products delutes and washes out the DOP and over time will destroy the polymer. Ditto for UV which simply boils the DOP out. To protect your polymers, use water based products and use UV protection.

A very interesting read - http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25914

Written by - Mike-in-orange

As many of your know, I work for Meguiar's. Of course we test and compare all the competitors products, even to the point of having our chemists literally take the stuff apart.

Armor All is, without a doubt, the single most maligned product in the automotive finish care world. Back in the day it was just about the ONLY product of it's kind on the market, and it was being used on plastics and vinyls of the time (think back to the great quality of domestic car interiors back in 1975 - yeah, junk). Now consider that most people did NOTHING to the dash in their cars and over time the material would just dry out horribly. So Armor All hit the market and people jumped on it. Spray some on that badly weathered dash and the material would often swell and split, so everyone blamed Armor All - after all, the dash appeared fine before applying the stuff. Truth is, if the dash is that badly dried out it will have a tendancy to swell and split if you appy almost anything to it - even plain water. But since Armor All had virtually no competition at the time, it took the blame.

Armor All was reforumlated several years ago, mostly due to changing VOC regulations that they, us and all of our competitors face on an ongoing basis, and it's now basically just a water based dressing not terribly unlike 303, or several of our own dressings. It does tend to impart a pretty high shine still, which I personally don't care for (but then again we make a product or two who's appearance I don't care for, but some folks like that look so we make 'em). Of course, just because many of these are water based doesn't mean their all identical - far from it. 303 is an excellent product, but I'd put our M40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner or Hyper Dressing up against it any day.

Otherwise Armor All is fine to use on the interior, tires, etc. If you don't mind the look.

So I use 303 on my polymers.

Tim Kelly

• View Profile
My dashboard is sticky!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 11:46:05 AM »

Fury440, when I started to read your last post, I thought I was going to have to go Google Di-sec-Octylphthalate. Then I read you work for Meguiar's....that explains it!
They make a good product. I really like the tire dress-up stuff that comes in the aerosol can. It seems to last longer than other products. I'll give the 303 product and M40 a try. At least I now know these products are safe.

2006 Chrysler Hemi C

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
My dashboard is sticky!
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 03:58:02 PM »

I'm an unemployed vagrant. 

"A very interesting read - http://www.crossfireforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=25914

Written by - Mike-in-orange"

However Mike-in-orange works for Meguiar's and the words are his - not mine.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
My dashboard is sticky!
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 08:05:21 PM »

I use the odorless mineral spirits only to wash away the residue on the vinyl, then nothing but soap and water for maintenance. The resto shop guys use a lot of windex....mostly on leather and vinyl, but just about all parts of the car get hit with it.....the bottled windex, not the make-your-own-strength concentrate.... 

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
My dashboard is sticky!
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 04:13:15 AM »

I have used Armor All for years and have had none of the problems mentioned in this thread...Uh Oh...shouldn't have said it

69 Plymouth Fury

70 Plymouth Fury

70 Chevy Pickup

numerous previously owned 60's 70's 80's Mopes/GM's too
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
My dashboard is sticky!
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 07:57:58 AM »

Quote from: furyfever
I have used Armor All for years and have had none of the problems mentioned in this thread...Uh Oh...shouldn't have said it

I started to research vinyl cleaners/conditioners a few years ago after a long search for a mint dash pad was successful and I wanted to make sure I didn't use the wrong stuff and screw up the vinyl. I must admit before then I had used Armour-All with wild abandon and like you didn't see any problems. However it appears this is only true as long as you keep using the stuff.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC