MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 1958 350 GC Plymouth build  (Read 5759 times)

Snotty

• View Profile
1958 350 GC Plymouth build
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 09:31:16 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
I kinda agree with Scott on a car like that. . . .

Brother Steve, that was not what I was saying; I think you misread my words.  I said "go custom."  I am not a factory stock fan.  I find factory correct cars quite boring, but that's a personal taste issue.

On that, in my opinion, if a car is in all factory condition - like your "virgin" - I think it should be left that way.  But if a car is ragged and needs a total makeover - like Bob's Plymouth - then it's a good candidate for customizing.  If the car has already been taken beyond factory original condition I always say, "Why not?"  Since Bob's already has the upgrades it's not factory, so....

I will say that when people take a pristine, factory correct car and customize it I go crazy!  That's why I will not watch "Overhaulin" and shows like that.  There are plenty of trash cars available to customize that pristine ones can/should be left alone.

Again, this is my opinion and is not right or wrong.
It's green here in Chico!!

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 10:07:40 AM »

Hey great project furyfever! I like it.....350....lucky dog!......I have a 58 Belvedere Christine type which was done in the early 90's.  It has hidden CD, red neons underneath, and motion detector with a 318 Poly 2 x4 bbl.  I get the "stock" vs. "custom" complaints all the time, but who cares? I don't.   95% of people say they love the car and that's what's important.  There's always the 5% of haters who nit pick and criticize, usually because they are insecure people.  Everywhere I go, people point, yell, follow me, make offers, scream, faint, wow and ask for a ride.  Some poor soul even followed me into Snotty's driveway one day.    Check out my YouTube video of my car restoration pix, I think you'll find it entertaining.  I can't wait to see your completed project, I'm sure it will be a knockout.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GikLg8Rh9Zk

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 10:12:49 AM »

True Commando, safety upgrades are important, as these cars drive like a boxcar on rubber.  Snotty and I (mostly Snotty) installed nice red seatbelts for Tri-Five Chevys, as it's not a good idea to ride around with no belts, considering the blindfolded lunatics on the road these days.  yeah, yeah, it's not Stock for that year, we used GM Belts, blah blah blah from the puritanical purists in the stock camp........all that shows is that they spend their time criticizing when they should be spending their time enjoying their cars.

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 10:15:40 AM »

I think a set of those bumper wings went for $3k on Ebay........everyone asks where I got the bumper wings and the original gold air cleaners.......I tell them they came with the car.....

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 10:20:10 AM »

"Bring the whole paycheck into the house (but hide it from thy wife), that there may be many classic automobiles in thy garage. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the garage doors of heaven and pour out so much customization that you will not have room enough for it."   Hurst1 3:10

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 11:19:42 AM »

Well,another approach is a little of both..
To me,the car should appear factory stock but a little craftiness can go a long way.
Than can be done and still have the modern day safety upgrades and other comforts.
Disc brakes all around behind factory wheels or period aftermarket ones--no problem.Wheels make or break the car but they can easily be changed.
Hidden CD player,no problem.Seat belts are just common sense.
Hi-power headlamps with hidden relays,better night vision and a piece of mind knowing the headlight switch will not burn out..
You can upgrade the ignition system and hide the modern electronics.
Pertronix is the easiest way or the hotter MSD box can hide under the battery tray,for example
Modified -yet look stock.
Why not install power door locks? power trunk? convienence.
Just use period looking switches.Ones from a derbied Imperial will be perfect. 

CBarge2009-01-15 16:24:18
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 01:34:51 PM »

[/QUOTE]

Steve, you've just written the text for my next Stewardship Sermon!  I'll conclude it with the Lord's Prayer:

Our Father, who art in Detroit,
Mopar be thy name.
Thy Magnums come,
Thy Vipers roam on earth as we KNOW they do in heaven!
Give us this day our daily lead,
and forgive us our Toyotas, as we forgive those who Nissan against us.
Lead us not into Ford and deliver us from Chevy.
For thine is the wedge, and the crate motor, and the Hemi forever!
Amen!
It's green here in Chico!!

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 05:44:02 PM »

Does it say anything in there about lightning bolts for blasphemers?   I'm not going to stand outside with a 9 iron up the air and take any chances.......

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 05:45:37 PM »

Hey Snotty, was that quote from "The Malachi Papers"?   You know, the guy who ratted out the mob because he wouldn't give them 10% of the proceeds? 

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 06:01:28 PM »

I think I get the gist of the passage......"give Snotty 10% of yer income, go ahead put him to the test.....and he will open the doors to the Chinese buffet and you'll be stuffed so full you won't have any room for more.....not even a fortune cookie!

hurst12009-01-15 23:02:10

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 02:23:24 PM »

I'm stayin out of this one...
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 06:13:43 PM »

Heard preliminary news about this 58 Plymouth from Chrysler historical today via e-mail. The car is not a Fury and the 350 motor is not original to the car.  I'm totally confused because the VIN (LP2L 18864) and the motor (L350 18864) last five digits match. I've seen photos of both! How could this be? Think about it...What are the chances that somone in the last 50 years put a numbers matching motor in this Belvedere? Is Chrysler Historical information absolutely without a doubt infallible? MLC will still wait for official news...build record/translation and I'm ok as far as the contract and all...probably puts the delivery date out farther though...unless I want to go with the original plan... Can ya believe it?

Somewhat bummed, 
furyfever2009-01-30 23:19:40
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2009, 06:21:23 PM »

Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2009, 06:31:45 PM »

Bob,Have you seen this car and parts in the flesh ??
If not I would suggest you go down there.
just to ease your mind more than anything.
From there you can decide to build the car YOUR way.
It is your money and your dream after all.
I read somewhere the 350 SC was available in any model of car that year.
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 07:06:14 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
What are ya talkin about Steve? This last reply is by me...the author...and it's about the 58 Plymouth that MLC is restoring for me...which this thread is all about!!Leaburn...I have not been out to Minnesota yet...I wrote all the detail in the contract though...it totally covers me in the fact that the Fury I'll be getting will be verified by Chrysler Historical. I can also revert to the original plan, A Christine (Belvedere). After this news though, I may not wind up with this car you see in the photos now. What I don't understand is that it's a matching numbers VIN/motor. How Chrysler Historical can say that the motor is not original to the VIN?? Think about it...Someone would have had to find a matching numbers motor to put in this car with this VIN number on it. What are the chances of that? The last five digits do match...on the VIN and motor!...I've seen photos! I'll be going out there when the winter fades. Yes...you are right Lea...350's were avaiable in all models in 58 only...so it could very well be a Belvedere...that I'm not surprised about...It's the matching numbers thing that has me scratching my head... furyfever2009-01-31 00:12:18

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC