MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 1958 350 GC Plymouth build  (Read 5795 times)

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
1958 350 GC Plymouth build
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2009, 07:54:15 PM »

I do not like they way they are using the swing arms of the hoist in relation to the body.That is incorrect.Just my opinion.
Look at the way the red strap is tied to the X brace in the driver's door.Added stress that is not needed and can cause alignment issues down the road when fitting sheetmetal,car can be twisted or not square.Just my opinion.
Get the body on a rotisserie or support the body from underneath--again just my opinion.
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2009, 04:07:58 AM »

Quote from: CBarge
I do not like they way they are using the swing arms of the hoist in relation to the body.That is incorrect.Just my opinion.
Look at the way the red strap is tied to the X brace in the driver's door.Added stress that is not needed and can cause alignment issues down the road when fitting sheetmetal,car can be twisted or not square.Just my opinion.

Yeah...you're right Lea. They really must trust the temporary weld on that X-brace huh?  When they get to the point of fitting the doors on I hope they fit properly. Ahhh..just beat in the high spots and get the bondo out right?  No doubt...I agree that a rotissierie would be the way to go here...I'm sure that will be the next step. They definitely have rotissieries...I'd be willing to bet that they're all in use at the moment. They've obviously improvised by using the lift  because I've repeatedly nagged him about getting the metal work started.

furyfever2009-02-19 09:16:43
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2009, 09:49:01 AM »

Quote from: CBarge

I'm wondering, do you have an opinion about this?

It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2009, 01:25:16 PM »

Quote from: Snotty
Quote from: POLARACO
I kinda agree with Scott on a car like that. . . .

Brother Steve, that was not what I was saying; I think you misread my words.  I said "go custom."  I am not a factory stock fan.  I find factory correct cars quite boring, but that's a personal taste issue.

On that, in my opinion, if a car is in all factory condition - like your "virgin" - I think it should be left that way.  But if a car is ragged and needs a total makeover - like Bob's Plymouth - then it's a good candidate for customizing.  If the car has already been taken beyond factory original condition I always say, "Why not?"  Since Bob's already has the upgrades it's not factory, so....

I will say that when people take a pristine, factory correct car and customize it I go crazy!  That's why I will not watch "Overhaulin" and shows like that.  There are plenty of trash cars available to customize that pristine ones can/should be left alone.

It depends on the car too.  A totatally 100% correct Letter car is worth allot of money
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2009, 02:16:03 PM »

It depends on the car too.  A totatally 100% correct Letter car is worth a llot of money
Then it bcomes a garage queen that you're afraid to drive and,  to me,  it's then 100% worthless.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2009, 02:35:35 PM »

[/QUOTE]

I agree   But many people are afraid to drive their cars even in the rain.  Polaraco goes out in the snow!  Biggest mistake I made was those wheels.  The salts got to them.  Now I have to polish them

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2009, 05:02:39 PM »

OK...Just talked to Edwin at Memory Lane Classics...Here's the scoop on the way they lifted the car in those latest photos. Those x-members are welded into the door frames solid and are there to keep the body rigid while the floors are replaced/repaired...They're extremely strong and are also used to lift from/support the whole body shell while they do the floor work. A rotisserie cannot be used while they're cutting/replacing the floor because the rotisserie mounts to the inside of the floor. My guess was wrong...They have 15 rotisseries and are rarely all full. So the next step once the floor is in is to get the body shell onto the rotisserie.

Bob
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2009, 04:02:04 AM »

"always wanted a Christine ever since 1983 after I saw the movie" 

You're not alone, apparently! TEHO, but

Christines are becoming the '57 Chevys of FLs.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2009, 04:38:22 AM »

[/QUOTE]

TEHO??? Don't know that one yet Roger...You know....that very thought has crossed my mind especially when I had the chance to upgrade to the Fury (that apparently is not a true Fury now). Then I thought...Have I ever even seen a Christine driving on the road or at a show? And I honestly could answer that question with a resounding NO....I can't really argue with myself for what I like now can I? It's obvious from your replies that you do not like Christined 58 Plymouths....which is totally fine...to each his own...I know you're practically the lone fin guy here and would like some company. Still not sure why this site is called Moparfins?..are you? I love it here but not sure where the name came from... I wish my decision would make you and everybody happy, but it won't. I just hope I'm happy with my decision...because I really am still at 50-50!

furyfever2009-02-20 13:37:34

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2009, 06:10:09 AM »

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2009, 06:37:12 AM »

Thanks Stitch...your'e a real Bob...I even said "to each his own" in my reply and it still did not register...  

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2009, 08:16:33 AM »

I guess Dollar Wise, a Christine clone will get you a larger return to your investment.

I'm all up for safety upgrades. . .  But try to make it reversible.

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2009, 08:35:42 AM »

I guess Dollar Wise, a Christine clone will get you a larger return to your investment.

Please elaborate Steve...Christine clone vs. what will get me a larger return on my investment? If you're comparing the factory Buckskin Beige Fury I would think the Fury would be much more valuable...any day, any time...

I did forget to mention I'll be getting seat belts...only the 4 way power disks plus the seatbelts will be "safety upgrades"...all other things I mentioned I would not consider safety upgrades. If it's to be a Christine...it's already a customized car...why would it be important to make them reversible? 

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2009, 09:02:31 AM »

Quote from: stitcherbob
TEHO =

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/TEHO

Do you ever get any work done Mr. Link-to-Everthing?

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2009, 09:10:00 AM »

Quote from: Commando1
Quote from: stitcherbob
TEHO =

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/TEHO

Do you ever get any work done Mr. Link-to-Everthing?

I didn't know what it stood for either, so I googled "TEHO" and that was the foist thang that popped up....sheesh, Mr. "Link-to-Ebay-cars-I-can't-afford"!

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC