MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: 1958 350 GC Plymouth build  (Read 5169 times)

Snotty

• View Profile
1958 350 GC Plymouth build
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2009, 11:44:13 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO

I find signs like this off topic; I wish they'd stop appearing.
It's green here in Chico!!

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2009, 11:52:24 AM »

Bob, here's my thought:  If you want the car - the original one form this post - and you like the price, buy it and do what you want.  Numbers Matching?  Original Motor?  Number 1 of ???  Much ado about nothing.  It's alaready modified as I said earlier, so orginality is gone.

If you want it, get it, do what you want with it, and enjoy it!  Unless you're paying "numbers matching" money for it, none of that stuff matters.
It's green here in Chico!!

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2009, 04:05:32 AM »

Quote from: Snotty
Bob, here's my thought:  If you want the car - the original one form this post - and you like the price, buy it and do what you want.  Numbers Matching?  Original Motor?  Number 1 of ???  Much ado about nothing.  It's alaready modified as I said earlier, so orginality is gone.

That's a good thought Snotty thanks...I felt that I would have had a little equity (when finished) if it turned out to be an authentic Fury...Now that's it's been found to be a Belvedere...(but still has the rare 350 motor)...I'm not so sure the price tag will drop very much...and I know the book value on a Belvedere is much much lower than a Fury..(should I ever want to sell-I don't want to be buried in this thing if you get my drift) Let me tell ya...Building these cars from the ground up is not cheap...It isn't cheap if you do it all yourself let alone hire it all out! There may be two more potential Furys available-details I do not know...but I will have to play the waiting game all over again (at least 2 months to get where we are now with the Belv.)...Which means the dismantling, shipping, dipping, shipping back etc etc will have to happen again with another car (Fury)...We'll see what happens...God willing...some day before the great day of the Lord...I'll have myself a 58 Plymouth in one color or another with either a 318 or a 350...It will have dual quads on it though
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2009, 04:25:46 AM »

As far as these HUGE yellow signs that keep appearing...by some guy named Polaraco??? I see he's got my back...Thanks ol buddy ol pal, I appreciate ya...

furyfever2009-02-03 09:36:58
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Rick Chaplin "julio"

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2009, 01:07:49 PM »

Well,,,,, I'm gonna jump in here,,,,, again.

The motor and VIN #'s matching in the '50's was a 50/50 deal.  (could be as much as 60/40.  40% of those had matching VIN and motor #'s.)  Some matched and some didn't.  It didn't make much differnce.
DON'T loose any sleep over it.  It doesn't really add that much to a FwdLk vehicle, because of how the #ing system worked back then.
It wasn't untill '62, that Ma MoPar changed the #ing system.  THERE, a matched set of #'s, IS IMPORTANT!!!
"62 is also the year that is considered the start of the muscle car era!  things were more docoumented.

Those carbs in the first page, sure look faimiliar!  I'll bet a dime to a small hole do-nut, that those are the carbs I saw, held in my hands, last year in Flordia.
If they are the same carbs, they are REAL #'s, 350 GC, 2, 4's!!!
There MUST be heat spacers under each carb.  If, for some reason they don't put them under, or have the wrong kind,,,,, 1/8" thick gasket a 1/16" piece of aluminum, another 1/8" gasket material.
That is the way the OM 350 spacers were.
Ok after much research, I got the felpro part #'s for replacement gaskets and made the aluminum part out of a old road sign.  What part of the aluminum stuck out from the carb/gaskets, I polished.
I got pictures someplace showing the part #'s and what they should look like,,,,,,

There are two differnt kinds of '57, 8 skirts.  One is plain and the other has a rolled lip along the bottom.
I had 'em both, and prefered the skirts with the rolled lip.  Mine were black and the bottom lip was hard to see.
I'd get 'em both, (you can find them on ebay.  OM STEEL Foxcraft)
As far as pins and holes,,,,,,, I think,  the plain set had a small bracket that bolted back there on the wide part of the rear fender lip.  Unless oneg ets down and look, it can't be seen.  Especailly if you have the car lowered a bit in the rear. 

The 350 2bbl was used in a bottom rung Dodge in '58, also.

As far as those piss yeller signs go,,,,,,,, (sigh) just go look at the source,,,,,,,,.

Now I can take this WAYYYYYYYY off topic, by posting about the 312 Y-block, 'bee hive' 2, 4's that came on the '56, '7 Fairlanes, and T-birds!
Wanted:  Application submitted to a village  looking for an idiot.  They Found Alumadud and hired him

Rick Chaplin "julio"

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2009, 01:20:56 PM »

Bobby, when yer Fury is ALL done and you drive it, and get the first scratch/dent/Bird poop stain, I'll trade you a old cast iron, 16 horse Kohler, John Deere riding lawn mower, and a Chevy C-60 dunp truck for it.

I know you are religious, but, are you open minded,,,,,,?
There are these little 'minituare Boogie men' that run around and all they do is put dents and scratches on nice things.
To ward off these 'spirits' there is a little bell you can get to hang descretely,  in a hidden spot, or out in plain view.  just so long as the bell 'dingles'.  that dingling sound is what puts the fear of God in the boogie men, and scares them away.
Or, in descrete places, take a center punch and delibertly punch a ding.  The minituare boogie men see that ding, and think one of them has been there before, leaves you car/vehicle alone, and goes looks for another target.

Don't ask why, but the bell trick, and you delibertly making a small dent, works!

That is why I asked if you were, ,,,,,,, 'open minded'

ALL biker/Harley places sell those little bells,,,,,,,,,.
Wanted:  Application submitted to a village  looking for an idiot.  They Found Alumadud and hired him

Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2009, 01:40:18 PM »

Holy Crap , Rick Where the crap have ya been?

Part of the Jersey Mob.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2009, 02:55:32 PM »

is that where the term "ding-bell" comes from?

oops I got dingbat and dumbbell mixed

I like the idea of "pre-disastering" the car so it is already damaged, but I doubt the boogiemen and I could agree on a place to put it..... they would want it on a shiny surface while I would put it on the inside of a lower control arm

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2009, 03:25:26 PM »

Thanks Rick...I thought about that already. I told the body man at MLC to make it wavy...don't block sand it at all...that way I won't even see any dings/dents.

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2009, 04:09:42 PM »

Welding has begun!
Body ready to be lifted off of chassis.
Cutting weak/rusty floor out.
These guys keep a nice clean shop.
Looks like entire floor has been cut out in this photo.
Replacement floor pan...That's one of the actual movie Christines there in the background....I hope they don't upset her!  
We're still waiting on Chrysler Historical for the build record. Christine or Factory Fury?..not entirely sure yet....can't get too upset if she becomes a Christine with a 350 GC though.  furyfever2009-02-15 21:12:45

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2009, 06:30:56 AM »

Please ... ANYTHING but another RED '58 FURY!!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2009, 04:43:08 PM »

Sorry Roger...I've always wanted a Christine ever since 83 after I saw the movie. I equally like the factory Buckskin Beige Fury...but if it's not a real Fury...if Chrysler can't back the VIN number up what would I gain by turning a Belvedere into a factory Fury?

300rag

• View Profile
1965 Chrysler 300 convertible 413/ 4 speed ; 1969 Monaco 3-seat wagon 383/727 ; 1969 Monaco 500 2-door 318/727

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2009, 05:50:19 PM »

Thanks Peter, Yeah...This one has been up for sale for quite some time now...Really nice car but lots-o-money...I'm having one built similar to that one for a lot less.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2009, 07:08:47 PM »

other than brakes. . .Have you planned any other upgrades on it?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC