MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What the Heck! POLARACO  (Read 2632 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2009, 10:32:48 AM »

I can get the cylinders done, new pistons and a slight touch up on the crank for $700.  So it's going to be .030 over.  For 1700, I can get a balanced 408 stroker kit balanced.  Since I have to do the pistons anyway. . . .  I have to see what will happen with the computer now.

Not sure what the MPG will be like on that.  I have to call Hughes and have a Pow Wow.

Hey Stan. . .Now we know why you blew up the other engine.  
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2009, 01:55:51 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
You think it's easy????
Any moron can build an engine that will last forever.
It takes a special kind of builder to make one run "pushing the envelope".
Commando12009-12-14 18:57:19

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2009, 03:59:02 PM »

Funny you said that

Thinking of going to a 408 now.  Since I have to drop the dime on 30 over, I may as well go all the way.   Need to work on some engineering though. 

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=category&level0=U21hbGwgQmxvY2sgTWFnbnVtICgzLjkvNS4yLzUuOSk=&level1=U3Ryb2tlciBLaXRz&partid=25287

Tom Dawson

• View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2009, 05:39:18 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Funny you said that

Thinking of going to a 408 now.  Since I have to drop the dime on 30 over, I may as well go all the way.   Need to work on some engineering though. 

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=category&level0=U21hbGwgQmxvY2sgTWFnbnVtICgzLjkvNS4yLzUuOSk=&level1=U3Ryb2tlciBLaXRz&partid=25287

That sounds like a great idea, and you still keep the lower end grunt to get that barge off the line, and have good top end power
Tom

They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad( O Brother Where Art Thou? )

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2009, 05:48:51 PM »

Yeah. . But I am waivering. .  .Cost

BTW, I am going to be in Breezewood Saturday early afternoon.  Coming from Ohio.  How far are you from I 70?

glen cyr

• View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2009, 07:35:37 PM »

Even if you got the stroker kit,you still have to have the expence of getting the block bored and honed (another $150 approx.) And then when you add on 50 more cubes the stock camshaft will be a little more ineffective,so you have to go at least a step up or above on that (another $2-300) and then the stock magnum heads will only take so much lift (around.510) i do believe without special retainers and springs. So much to consider. I would bore the block .10 to.30 over with the stock crank and rods and go to a hyper piston such as this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/UEM-KB362-030/ I think you will have around 365 cubes with the .030 over,so nothing wrong with that. If i was going to drop $1,700,..it wouldn't be to just get 50 more cubes with. I would rather spend the money on a set of eddy heads. Here's some good info on the magnum heads,expaining the limits of thevalvesprings and seals hitting the retainers http://www.bigblockranger.com/Magnum.html

Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
What the Heck! POLARACO
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 04:23:53 AM »

I must have been drunk Glen. .

I am not going to stroke this thing!  It defeats the purpose.

I will continue to look into increasing the efficiency and reducing friction.  Looking at these puppies.  http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=category&level0=RXhjbHVzaXZlIEh1Z2hlcyBFbmdpbmVzIEl0ZW1z&partid=25628

I was thinking they will eliminate the flex and increase the lift slightly.  Plus with the rollers, reduce some friction slightly.  2 birds with one stone.  This $475 makes more sense, but I am still investigating
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC