MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stamp pad  (Read 415 times)

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Stamp pad
« on: December 25, 2008, 11:01:29 PM »

The stamp pad on my 1973 440 motor home block is blank.

When were the stamp pads left unstamped?

Commando12008-12-26 09:20:43

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Stamp pad
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 04:50:50 AM »

If you want, I can send you some stamps and you can whack them in.  It'll ruin yer paint job though. . . .

Maybe Motor homes were trearted different.  I should go up to my abandoned MH and drop that motor out.  It's been sitting since 1990.  I know it will need to get all done over.  But I don't worry about it. . . I go to bed

Because you should drink more Iron Gut and less coffee.  Or stop listening to the crickets
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Stamp pad
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 04:58:59 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Because you should drink more Iron Gut ...

For once, I'll take your advice...

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Stamp pad
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 05:07:19 AM »

maybe it was decked

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Stamp pad
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 07:23:59 AM »

Quote from: stitcherbob
maybe it was decked
Huh  

Ken

• View Profile
Stamp pad
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 09:33:16 AM »

If the block was rebuilt and machining was done to "blueprint" the block, that would require the block to be "decked", that is, machined to get the height to factory spec or to achieve a desired compression ratio.

True story: a little over a decade ago, when I was finishing my first year of Auto Tech (engine machining), I got the project of machining a 440 that was out of a wood hull boat that had sunk in Lake Tahoe owned by the head of the AT Dept.

While Chrysler was famous for their Marine Division built engines being "hand built", ie. supposedly more care was taking in engines assembled from that branch of Chrysler, the block I machined did not have the cylinder head sealing surfaces  that were at the same height from the crank main journals, AND one side had a TWIST in the surface, that is, there were two diagonal corners that were high points and two that were low (block might have gone through original machining surface at an angle/shavings might have prevented block form seating flat, who knows).

I remember taking about .010" to have that side clean-up to where the surface was FLAT and perpendicular to the crank and other sylinder head surface, and after repositioning the block on the surface grinder to do the other side, I found that there was almost a .010" difference in height between the two surfaces!

Anyhoo, the instructor got the block back with all the required machining done, all bores round/straight/parallel yadda yadda yadda, and Les always would say to me "I'm going to install that back in the boat, and IF it leaves me stuck in the middle of Lake Tahoe, your "A" will be changed to an "F"!"

Ah..those were the days...anyhoo, back to the initial point, IF the black has been machined again, quite often the pad that a 440 has will be machined, too, and that would leave it appearing blank

Moesy2008-12-26 14:35:35
'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Stamp pad
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 09:52:05 AM »

Quote from: Moesy
...anyhoo, back to the initial point, IF the block has been machined again, quite often the pad that a 440 has will be machined, too, and that would leave it appearing blank

I knew what decking was....
Just never heard/seen the pad shaved with it.

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Stamp pad
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 09:53:10 AM »

Well, actually I have.  When the motors were through Midnight Auto.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Stamp pad
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 03:06:26 PM »

Sorry for the quick answer & thanks to Moe for clearing it up..... I knew you guys would  figger it out!

My RR 383 was decked and I had made a pencil rubbing of the numbers before that was erased by the cutters. It said E-383 meaning a real Roadrunner 383 and there were no maltese crosses or other characters to indicate undersize journals, lifter bores, etc.

BTW, an un-cut, un-stamped pad usually means a warranty block (the oil pan rail VIN # pad must be unstamped as well)

stitcherbob2008-12-26 20:10:06
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Stamp pad
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2008, 03:09:46 PM »

Watch out, Bob.  Nurse Ratchet will post the O.T. graphic again...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC