MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electric Fans on 440  (Read 838 times)

Jason Medhurst

• View Profile
Electric Fans on 440
« on: December 08, 2008, 06:25:54 PM »

I installed the aluminum radiator off of Ebay after finding my radiator was no longer going to survive.  I though it was a great deal and it showed up in perfect shape and installed it- looks great, works great.

I just ordered the Derale puller 4000 cfm electric fan from Summit:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DER%2D16927&N=700+115&autoview=sku

My question is, there are two switches available.  One temperature probe fits into the radiator fins, the other comes with an NPT fitting.  I am not sure where to install the NPT fitting so I am leaning towards the fin probe.

Does anyone have any strong feelings about this?  I am sure the NPT direct method is faster than the fins reading, but does it matter?

I also need to know how I should adjust the temperature switch.  There are two switches (one for each fan).  Do I set them to the temperature of the thermostat?  I do stagger there turn on settings, so that if one fan is sufficient, then I only one fan turns on?

The fans, both on, draw a maximum of 50 amps.

Vick Ferrari2008-12-08 23:26:38
68 Newport Vert, 02 Chevy Duramax (421 RWHP), 05 Ford Excursion Powerstroke, 98 Jeep Wrangler, 95 Caddy Fleetwood LT1, 99 Honda Valkyrie, 97 Yamaha VMAX with Nitrous, 84 Honda CT70 trail bike,06 Rhino

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Electric Fans on 440
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 04:18:21 AM »

I'm running a Flex-o-lite in the Polaraco.  The rad probe works fines.  Keeps the car a steady 190
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Butch Houghton

• View Profile
Electric Fans on 440
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 05:17:48 AM »

The NPT style probe usually goes into the Rad in place of your Petcock drain.

It does seem to be a bit more responsive than the fin type.   A buddy with a Streetrod ( 35 Plymouth, 318/904 )  changed to that style from the fin type & it did seem to control a bit better since the probe is in the water not just outside on the fins.

Make sure to use relays for that setup since it pulls so many Amps.    Wire the Thermostat so it triggers ther relay from a Ign-on 12V to kick it in & the main draw is from either the Battery direct or the main stud on the Starter Relay.

I'd try staggering the fans just to see ,   maybe 1 at 160 degrees & 1 at 180 & see how it does.    I would think that would control the temp a bit going up & you wouldn't be drawing the full 50 amps all at once.

Sometimes ya gotta experiment &see what the car wants.

Butch

68 Dart GT - 394 Stroker/6 Pack
70 Fury Gran Coupe - 472 Hemi
70 Sport Fury - 383 Magnum FK5

Butch Houghton

• View Profile
Electric Fans on 440
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 05:19:06 AM »

Quote from: HemiFury
The NPT style probe usually goes into the Rad in place of your Petcock drain.

It does seem to be a bit more responsive than the fin type.   A buddy with a Streetrod ( 35 Plymouth, 318/904 )  changed to that style from the fin type & it did seem to control a bit better since the probe is in the water not just outside on the fins.

Make sure to use relays for that setup since it pulls so many Amps.    Wire the Thermostat so it triggers ther relay from a Ign-on 12V to kick it in & the main draw is from either the Battery direct or the main stud on the Starter Relay.

I'd try staggering the fans just to see ,   maybe 1 at 160 degrees & 1 at 180 & see how it does.    I would think that would control the temp a bit going up & you wouldn't be drawing the full 50 amps all at once.

Hope the Wiring & charging systems are up to that extra draw,  if not better upgrade.

Sometimes ya gotta experiment &see what the car wants.

OPPPS!   Quoted myself!

Butch

HemiFury2008-12-09 10:19:47
68 Dart GT - 394 Stroker/6 Pack
70 Fury Gran Coupe - 472 Hemi
70 Sport Fury - 383 Magnum FK5

Jason Medhurst

• View Profile
Electric Fans on 440
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 05:34:55 AM »

I think my thermostat is a 180 or 190.

Should the set point of the fan thermostat be less than the setpoint of the collant stat?  Wouldn't that mean the fans will be pretty much on all the time?

I was thiking the fans would need to turn on at a temp higher than coolant stat.  In this case, the coolant will flow if it exceeds 180, if the coolant flowing through the radiator is insufficient to bring lower the temp to wehere the stat closes, then the fans turn on for added cooling.  Am I off base with this?

Thanks for your help!

68 Newport Vert, 02 Chevy Duramax (421 RWHP), 05 Ford Excursion Powerstroke, 98 Jeep Wrangler, 95 Caddy Fleetwood LT1, 99 Honda Valkyrie, 97 Yamaha VMAX with Nitrous, 84 Honda CT70 trail bike,06 Rhino

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Electric Fans on 440
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 12:24:39 PM »

If it's like mine, the circuit board is where the settings are.  My Minimum is 190.  But I run 185 on real cold days.  Sumer I never see anymore than 195 wear\\ther I an sitting in traffic or blowing down the highway.  Both with the A/C

Jason Medhurst

• View Profile
Electric Fans on 440
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 05:50:37 PM »

so this is what Derale has suggested:

If your Thermostat setting is 190, set on efan to 190 and the other to 195.  They told me you don't want to set it so that both fans turn on at the same time.  The in rush current is really high.  More than the rated 50 amps total draw.

I'm going to install this and let you guys know how it turns out..

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Electric Fans on 440
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 04:30:48 AM »

The Flex-o-lite has a solid state controller that ramps them up

Jason Medhurst

• View Profile
Electric Fans on 440
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 01:12:45 PM »

I think I heard an ad during Muscle Car garage for a fan controller or relay that works with high performance dual fans.  Right now, it looks like I need to use two separate switches,  but I would prefer having a single switch or relay.

The draw is 50 amps for both fans.  Has anyone ever used the Dakota Digital unit?  I don't like that they recommend that the unit is mounted inside the car, not waterproof.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Electric Fans on 440
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 01:48:23 PM »

This is what I used in Polaraco

http://www.jegs.com/i/Flex-a-lite/400/295/10002/-1

I had to make a bracket for the battery side because it hit the battery tray.  So I moved it over.  It has a solid state controller on it which throttles the fans as needed.  It reduces the surge on start up too.  Draws 30 amps.  The only problem I had with it was the fuse holder burned up after 2 years.  I put in a circuit breaker.  Can be wired for manual use, and connected to the A/C compressor.

Polaraco never went over 195 on a hot day with the A/C running and blasting down the highway

Jason Medhurst

• View Profile
Electric Fans on 440
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 07:39:15 PM »

I think I'm going to get the Dakota digital controller.  It is $99, is fully adjustable, and comes with a 70 relay.  My fans at full juice can pull 50 amps.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DAK%2DPAC%2D2000&N=700+0&autoview=sku

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC