MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto Company Bailout  (Read 1548 times)

steve fogel

• View Profile
Auto Company Bailout
« on: November 24, 2008, 08:09:38 PM »

Auto Company Bailout?  What chew talkin' bout Willis?

Snotty

• View Profile
Auto Company Bailout
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 10:48:18 AM »

Is that Obama?  Well, at least he's in an "electric car." 

There's two things about this bailout that bugs me.

1.  If something is going to be done, why not a loan like Chrysler was give in '79?  The same for the Finance Companies.  Make them pay it back.  The Government will get a return on their "investment," and our taxes will not need to be raise as we all know they are going to be.

2.  At the same time I am pissed at the people who keep pointing fingers at the Auto Industry and saying uninformed crap like, "It's because they continued to make Trucks and SUVs instead of Hybrid Cars like everyone wants."  Really?  So, when the Fors F150 was the top selling vehicle IN THE WORLD for 7 years, it did so because no other cars were availalbe at a Ford Dealer?  There were no Fiestas, or Focus cars to buy?  Did not Chrysler have the Neon and Chevy the Colbalt? 

The industry made the vehicles that were being sold, which indicated what "people wanted."  Now, vehicles are not leaving the showroom floors, including the precious hybrids, yet people say it's because the Big 3 built trucks!

Sheesh!

They're not selling because of the economy, not because of the inventory.

There, I've said it!  I'ved tried to get on some local talk shows but have been denied.  Boo!
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Auto Company Bailout
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 11:09:05 AM »

It's a catch 22 Scott. . .you know that

People are fickle.  The marketeers don't have enough foresite either.

I honestly don't think they spend enough time with their ears to the ground.  Places like this and the Diesel Forum I frequent are invaluable to them to see and hear what the people want. 

It's very hard to please everyone anyway.  Even here
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Auto Company Bailout
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 11:29:56 AM »

U.S. car sales are in the tank.  What you don't hear is how the U.S. manufacturers are very profitable overseas. 

They don't need a bailout.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Auto Company Bailout
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 01:27:13 PM »

OPM  Other Peoples Money

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Auto Company Bailout
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 01:27:56 PM »

With the bailout money GM should bring out the "Obamamobile"
Like any new automobile,a lot of hype and exposure but little substance that has yet to be proven.
Big price tag--few options. ..
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Auto Company Bailout
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 01:43:49 PM »

FORD Fork Out Real Dollars
GM Gimme Money

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

firedome

• View Profile
Auto Company Bailout
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 02:25:04 PM »

Scott makes some very good points-  how come no one chastizes Nissan for the Armada and Titan

they just discontinued, Toyota Sequoia, Tundra, Land Crusher, etc etc -
they also tried to cash in - well guess what, it was just smart
business 'cause it's what people wanted for 15 + years!  They
tried to maximize profit, which is what the system rewards and
shareholders, with their short term vision, insist on!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Auto Company Bailout
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 02:46:28 PM »

When you think about it, all they did was copy the US makers.  They tried to make them better, but really didn't.

As far as the globe is concerned, most of the Asian car makers are Me-To car makers.  When was the last time you really saw anythign inovative from them?

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
Auto Company Bailout
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 05:15:20 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
When you think about it, all they did was copy the US makers.  They tried to make them better, but really didn't.

Yes they did mostly copy, but they did a better job of putting them together and making them last longer before breaking. Grab a copy of any year's Consumer Reports Annual Car Guide and look at the results, all the off shore stuff get the rave reviews.

That being said, I've still always bought "our" products, but  I'm starting to wonder if this is a good idea anymore. My Jeep has a headlight system that works when it feels like it, a flashing green light on the rear view mirror that no one seems to be able to fix, a rear end that developed a whine right after a $300 diff oil change and yesterday half the dash lit up telling me to check a bunch of stuff that doesn't need checking. My brother's Mercedes doesn't do all this crap. Neither does my neighbours Lexus.

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

glen cyr

• View Profile
Auto Company Bailout
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 06:20:24 PM »

In '92,i bought a brand new 3 cyl 5 spd Suzuki Swift (Suzuki made the Geo Metro for GM). This car cost $7,200 cash! I used this car for my buisness doing sevice calls,etc. I put on 440,000 kms. (250,000 US miles). Mind you,this was not the most comfortable car to drive but i bought it for 2 things! It was BULLETPROOF!!!!! and it got 66 mpg!!! as good or better than any hybrid! It was easy to work on!. Plugs and air filter change in 5 minutes flat! In all that 440,000 kms, i put in two clutches, which took me about 4 hrs each! Same engine,same trans,reg.replaced items as they were needed!. Started at -38C (thanks to Mobil 1 synthetic in the trans and engine since day 1). My buddies were amazed at the reliability of this car! NO and i mean NNNOOOOO....Electrical gremlins like the US or British Jaguars and such! This is the car the American and Canadian drivers want! Not some hybrid that if you are in the middle of Bumm F*^&# Saskatewan and you have an electrical gremlin,...who's gonna fix it? #1..Good fuel mileage,#2....bulletproof reliability so that when it goes off warranty,you can actually afford to fix it! 3:Make it so WE can service it! #4 Give it to us at a REASONABLE cost!  Just then i may consider a North American car! My Dodge Grand Caravan is the same displacement and weight as my buddies Nissan Van and he averages 7-10 mpg. better fuel economy! The North American vehicles are more about style and looks than engine technology! Give me a Honda engine anyday! And i don't care if it's a lawnmower,power generator,or weed whacker! Till the BIG 3 wakeup and get shaken up,....the foriegn carmakers will continue to show them how it's done!    My RANT is over!

Glen Whew
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Auto Company Bailout
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 05:37:34 AM »

Thosewerethegoodoldaysnevertobeseenaagin

Simplicity is gone in favor of weight savings and cover your ass.  They have to make these cars idiot proof. (Only to find a bigger idiot)

It's the drivers responsibility to check the lights.  Not for the car to tell them.  Brake pedal interlocks. . .come on.  Make it an option, or don't let your kids play in the car.  Crumple zones in cars that fly apart.  Air Bags?  They save lives?

It seems to me we have all this crap because people are less responsible.  The last two items I saw that mades sense was the 5 MPH bumper and the third brake Light

My wifes charger weighs more than my Polaraco

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Auto Company Bailout
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 05:38:05 AM »

Thanks Glenn

Got my blood pumping on my day off   

Carl

• View Profile
Auto Company Bailout
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 08:47:40 AM »

Oh man, another one of these threads, LOL

1973 Pro Street Duster
http://www.cyberbiker.ca/duster

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Auto Company Bailout
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 11:08:43 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Thanks Glenn

Got my blood pumping on my day off   

Quote from: Ram3500Dually
Oh man, another one of these threads, LOL

[TUBE]dWamxEDcqiQ&feature=related[/TUBE]
stitcherbob2008-11-27 16:14:38
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC