MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Need legs & eyes near Chicago  (Read 1362 times)

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
Need legs & eyes near Chicago
« on: November 16, 2008, 03:49:06 AM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1960-Dodge-Phoenix-Hardtop-Great-Condition-60_W0QQitemZ270296616919QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item270296616919&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

I actually can't recall any of our members living in the Chicago area...but if anyone does and would be willing to look at this car for me...it would save us a 10+ hour trip. I'm actually tempted to forgo viewing it in person it looks so good...(say it aint so) My wife wants to buy me this for my Birthday... Seriously...
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 04:38:19 AM »

Don't do it!!!!  Buy sight unseen, that is!!  I did it once on a '56 Packard and lived to regret it!

How come I don't get birthday presents like that from MY wife? .... Sheeeesh!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 04:47:03 AM »

My philosophy?

What it looks like in the ad:

What it is after you buy it:

Commando12008-11-16 09:49:28

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 04:54:21 AM »

Thanks Firedome...and Commando1....you're both absolutely right and I know it deep in my heart. I've got to go look at it or at least have someone that knows what they're looking at do so...but time is running short. We all know what the E in ebay stands for.   furyfever2008-11-16 09:56:20
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 05:00:42 AM »

What is that thang??? Nasty looking beast.......but extremely funny

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 05:54:06 AM »

I'd ask the seller for his telephone number.  Often times you can sense a lot about someone's integrity by the tone of their voice and willingness to answer questions without stumbling.

Pretty car!  Serius satellite radio too.  The rear springs look a little fatigued, but that's fixable.

just my 16 bits...
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 08:00:13 AM »

Yeah, it's gonna need rear leaf springs.

Seat cloth may have been changed due to unavailability or owner cheapness....looks newer like 1970's style...

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 11:02:11 AM »

Fu-fe, you'e in one of the most difficult price ranges to buy a car in.
Us bottom feeders, we pay several grand based on pictures and we know to assume the worst.  At the upper end, one has  the luxury of playing touchy-feely with the cars at the auctions.  In the middle, where you are, the expense of searching country wide becomes
an obstacle.  Looking for a FAIR priced #2 FL is right up there with the "Harleys in a barn".

#1.  You will never ever find it on eBay.
#2.  You have to hang around the groups of people that are interested in the particular car you're looking for.
#3.   Use the search engines in the online collector car classified sights for local cars.
#4    The car you REALLY wanted will pop up after you bought one.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 02:49:08 PM »

The other obstacle is that Furyfever is trying to pin down a particular car in a particular price range....those of us who will settle for a wide variety of cars will always find a nice one for a bargain...

Steve found his brown Polara by accident and it was a doozy of a steal. If he was looking for that exact car he probably wouldn't have found it

I suggest joining a club devoted to those cars....a real club not the FL idiocy or internet shtuff......after attending some shows and club meetings you may hear about just what you are looking for. The AACA is a good place to start, the Walter P Chrysler club too.

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Johnny D.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 03:30:09 PM »

orrr.... that car is the soup that never was.... sometimes you always order salad and you never know about that soup... it very well could be everything your lookin for...

id say if no one is local then for a nominal fee get an inspection service to look at it... if the sellers not down for that... probably answers your questions about the car right there...
http://www.cars-on-line.com/insp-1stpg.html has an inspection service costs around 275....

"Rock and Roll's been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died."- John Milner

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 03:51:22 PM »

Spoken like a true mobster...

It's kinda like fast food at Burger King, you pay for it before you get it.  However!  If you ordered a Whaler, was it truely from a whale?

Get the sellers phone number and try to arrange a viewing, either your's or a private party's.  That car looks too nice to be misrepesented and his feedback is good. 
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 04:07:05 PM »

Quote from: MobStaffCar72
orrr.... that car is the soup that never was.... sometimes you always order salad and you never know about that soup... it very well could be everything your lookin for...

You hit that one on the head, Mobby!
I never realized how great the Formals were.  I had my preconceived notions of them being smogulated bland 70's cars.  Boy.  I was wrong.
Don't get me wrong.  I love fins, , slabs, and fusies but I'm hardcore formal now.

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 04:54:43 AM »

Thanks Mobby....I looked at the cars-on-line inspection thing....Read all about it....Looks like a very extensive and thorough report they do and worth every penny....but....You know....I just can't bring myself to spend ~$300.00 on an inspection on a car that someone else might really want (and will outbid me on)....plus I've waited too long now....average time for an inspection is 4 days....there's 3 left on the auction. I could pay to get it done and then not have it in time to make a decision to bid or not...Just too risky for my conservative blood. I've really got to start slapping myself in the face (repeatedly) and realizing that if the car is not within driving distance to see myself...Fughetaboutit. What a dreamer you guys have to put up with EDIT EDIT: Just noticed e-bay has their own inspection services...link right there on each auction....$99.50 w/ 24 hr. report guarantee Hmmm..How on earth can they do dat? I contacted a hauler friend of mine...He will be in Chicago tomorrow and will look at the car for me. He use to be a body man/painter  furyfever2008-11-17 12:51:51

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 10:40:03 AM »

Good words o' wisdom from many here...my 2 cents:  WPC is
excellent, I've belonged off and on since '82, but not that many FLs
are  found in their classifieds... Any FL 2 dr hardtop in #2
condition will be pricey, you'd be very lucky to find one that is a
TRUE #2 for 20 large... there are fewer #2 cars at regular shows than
most people think , most of what you see that initially looks very nice
at your typical local shows are more like 3 to strong 3 cars, or
worse...