MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: the mob staff car...  (Read 936 times)

Johnny D.

• View Profile
the mob staff car...
« on: November 14, 2008, 07:43:22 AM »

is pretty much whacked  right now...

and my old thread was dissolved... so... heres a new bit...

the list as it stands... im not even including the small stuff here...

replace timing chain, pray engine internals aren't damaged, hopefully stops leaking oil.

includes new water pump, while its all opened up...

trans service... leaks like a sieve. probably needs rebuild, also needs new gasketry...

replace heater core ( Butch thank you only this engine bit has taken a bite for the min.)

correctly install the heater control valve

replace a/c heater controls

replace or repair the turn signal switch

replace the rear gears with donor, get mine repaired, redo job back to original...

replace or repair ignition switch

brake light switch...

front end work... probably extensive to get alignment back...

patch big hole in trunk were springs went through.

new rear springs...

suff seats...

tires...

"Rock and Roll's been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died."- John Milner

Matt Aker

• View Profile
the mob staff car...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 02:29:33 PM »

Ya' should have given it to Siss when you had the chance Mob....  She werks magic on cars without even picking-up a spanner!
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

firedome

• View Profile
the mob staff car...
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 03:44:09 PM »

Time to start playin the lottery, Mobby, or head on up to Turning
Stone, up near Utica.. been there  ... boy is that place
weird!!  6 thousand ways to lose your wad! You can smoke all day
long, but no alky-hol... I got out of there quick!!!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Johnny D.

• View Profile
the mob staff car...
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 05:21:59 PM »

"start" playin the lottery... lol

Matt. i might just leave it in PA.

Johnny D.

• View Profile
the mob staff car...
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 10:44:16 AM »

Anyway....

today it got picked up and dropped off at an actual mechanics. After roughly 3 weeks of sittting.... The guy is pretty strictly speaking someone who works on old cars, has a ton of them too...

He's gonna do the chain... and clear out the oil pan, and replace the trans pan gasket.... i dont know if he'll be adjusting bands or not... this should cost roughly what i was going to spend on a car... 750.00 give or take a coupla bucks... plus the gaskets and fluid...

on a side note... the rear wheel seal that hobby and lea did is back to old habbits and is leaking now again. as when it got towed  there was a big puddle of gear oil under the tire... Yah.

other than the radio and headlights and horn. i dont think anything on this car likes to stay in working order.

at least sometime next week ill have some type of mobility... even if it is cold and doesnt start all the time and chatters.

MobStaffCar722008-11-24 21:22:01

firedome

• View Profile
the mob staff car...
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 03:09:07 PM »

It's got that famous Lea & Steve warranty - it's guaranteed till the tail-lights roll over the curb!!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Johnny D.

• View Profile
the mob staff car...
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 08:28:20 AM »

update...

Well surprise surprise, the mechs pricing went to the moon... total bill is sitting at 1,475.00...

this is what was done...
new timing set installed,
new oil pan gasket,
trans service,
& 1 new motor mount... go figure... since the pass. side one aprantly "just fell out" when he jacked the car...

i supplied all the parts, including , coolant, oil, trans fluid, filters and gaskets, a new timing setsince the one i had wasnt correct, for another 170.00 or so...

AND the guy tells me 1. My Fuel Pumps leaking. 2. the Shumaker mount is broken. 3. My Vacuum advance doesnt work...

the guy would do it sure, but then the price probably would go to like 2 grand so frig that. Ill do the fuel pump myself, and i have an extra vac. advance around too... I doubt that sumaker mount is bad... but my engine mount luck isnt the best...

this was waaaaay waaay more than i wanted to do... and is especially hard since i only make about a 150 a week, but  with some finageling i think i can swing the second half (675.00) by next week...

Sometimes its like Henry Hill said, "Ya just got to take a beating"...

then its back to driving, and restarting a savings account.... to handle so other debts...
MobStaffCar722008-12-05 13:29:37

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
the mob staff car...
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 08:39:38 AM »

Well surprise surprise, the mechs pricing went to the moon... [/QUOTE]

Death, taxes, and mechanics' estimates....

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
the mob staff car...
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 11:13:28 AM »

Am I surprised the bill is larger than estimated? No.
Sometimes you have to justify the merits of driving an old car as a daily driver. It will cost you!!

I hope Mobby see the light at the end of the tunnel and understand that a heavy foot can lighten the wallett.
A deaf ear to the car and friends can also leave you stranded.
(I can see Mobby reading this now and saying "I Know! I Know! Already! and then poses! LOL)

When Nadine is back from the dead and you twist the key,the whining and moaning will be forgotten about. I know you love that car so stop the beachin'!!
Get a beater for daily transportation and enjoy Nadine on the weekends,etc.
I bought a 91 Cavalier cheap and I hate the ride and the fact it has two doors.
BUT it costs HALF of what I spent in fuel already since July. How's 75.00 a month versus 75.00 a tank  in my 68 New Yorker?
A tank in the NYer lasts a week.Do the math..
The Dippy is a drinker in the city at a cost of 180.00 a month.
But much better on the highway and she is now on standby should the Crapalier breaks.
I love my cars as much as anybody else here.
But you have to draw the line somehwere before it hurts your finances.
The NY'er believe or not was my only source of transportation when we bought our first house.
A new mortgage and an old car don't mix in the world of money.
Mobby,I have been there and I know what you are going through.
Chin up.Pay the bux and drive with pride.
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
the mob staff car...
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 11:32:14 AM »

Well said.

I learned the hard way after many bullheaded, defiant, attempts, an old car can NOT be a DD.  As much as you wish, pray, and hope for, it doesn't work out 98% of the time.  I always thoug "this car will be different" but it never was.

My solution was this:  I bought a rock-bottom, zero option, low-line, brand new F150 for less than $15K (try and find one - it's a loss leader for the dealer and they will do everything they can think of to keep from selling you one).  All I do is put gas in it.  PERIOD.  I beat on it.  I use the $%^%#@ out of it.  No worries.  No hassles.  I bet when I pull the plates off of it in 2028 and walk away from it, it will have been the cheapest vehicle over the long haul I ever had.

firedome

• View Profile
the mob staff car...
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 12:19:46 PM »

I've had pretty good luck driving small block (318/360) Mopars as daily drivers, always bought with 40-90k miles to start and very well maintained.  In a total of over 20 A/LA and RB/B engines, between the years of '57 and 81, not one of the B block 383/400/440 motors went over about 110-130 k miles without some issue like a broken timing chain, bearing rumble, accelerated oil consumption, several spun bearings, or something fairly major, (never had a 361 - I've  heard they are the most durable B) while, conversely, every 318/360 I've ever had went over 200k and more with nothing but tune-ups and still ran great when I got rid of them, usually because of rust... coincidence? I drive gently, I'm not a leadfoot, but I drove the As and Bs the same. All of them pulled trailers too. Getting one that has been well taken care of all along and continuing to do so the is key to using an older car as reliable daily driver. As recently as 3 yrs ago I had my last R body '79 Newport that I drove daily and was reliable as a stone - in a weak moment I sold it because of gas prices, and immediately regretted it - I don't drive much now as I no longer have to commute, so gas isn't that big a deal for me - Anyhow just last Spring, I saw it on the road, still truckin' with the 20 something owner I sold it to in 2005...  last month I finally found the '80 Reege R body to replace it!!  YAY!!!   But... only when there is no salt on the road!!  My old Volvo 240 is the sacrificial lamb...
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

firedome

• View Profile
the mob staff car...
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 12:24:25 PM »

I plumb forgot the moral of the story!  If ya drive a big block, it helps to lighten up on the loud pedal!!!
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Matt Aker

• View Profile
the mob staff car...
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 02:29:52 PM »

Well, here's where I throw a monkey wrench into the werks.

I bought my '66 NYer in 1990 and owned it until 2001.  It was a daily driver and never made me walk.  I didn't drive it in the winter and did the regular maintenance.  I drove that car everywhere without a hitch.  Several trips to Myrtle Beach, Niagara Falls, Cleveland....  never missed a beat.  I put nearly 100K on that car, original 440, 727, 8-3/4...  but I didn't beat it and took religious care of it.

My '68 Polara, I bought it for a winter car in 1991 for $350 and drove it until 2000.  I beat the living tar out of that car and couldn't kill it.  It was a daily driver as well.  (It still exists to this day AND runs)

Maybe I should have bought a Power Ball ticket at some point in the 1990's....
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

firedome

• View Profile
the mob staff car...
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 03:25:22 PM »

Well I think Matt and my experiences totally jibe in that an older
Mopar daily driver can certainly be dependable and low hassle - it just
depends on it's prior care - getting a good one -  and good
maintenance... and they are way cheaper to fix than my newer cars!!!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Johnny D.

• View Profile
the mob staff car...
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 05:56:16 PM »

"surprise surprise" was meant to have a cynics tone to it... Im not shocked... just a reality check for a guy who has most of his mechanical stuff handled "at a discount"....

As to daily duty... You gotta remember my car is an accident rebuild outta the 70's so its had a rough life... never an easy one... and its had many hackened repairs down the line... It will never be a trailer car, or a summer car... its just my car, my big, bad ass car... wherever the road goes, and whenever it ends... its about the trips.

Now usually have two cars... a semi-beater and the old one... Its become prohibitively expensive to insure two, plus repairs, so I kept the one I like over the more practical form of transportation...

Now i've been running the 72 for about 3 years... and a lot of the little things, leaks,  squeals, this and that have just started coming up... I drive my cars. I like the go pedal... I always will... It's kinda the point... I hardly winced over the gas prices because its give and take. Nadine's a tough unit.

On cost at the mechanic... i am not whining... Just gotta remember I'm a part timer right now... a grand is a lot of money... other than have a trans rebuilt for my 74 Nyer brougham that ran about 900 bucks this is the most expensive thing ive ever bought for a car. and its more expensive, than some of the cars I've owned.

Anyway, it's about the car. And obviously im not letting it die yet... will keep you all informed...

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC