MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Insulation  (Read 1109 times)

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Insulation
« on: November 11, 2008, 01:20:26 AM »

While dismantling the 440 that's in The Nyb, I saw that there was insulation stuffed in under the intake manifold.

1.  Was this factory or did the former owner stuff it in there?

2.  Whadaya think about insulating the intake?

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Insulation
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 04:46:41 AM »

Stock.....kept heat from the manifold and mostly kept the noise from the lifter valley down, as it was only covered by the thin tin gasket pan....

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Insulation
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 07:07:05 AM »

The insulation is factory.Prevents heat soak.
Without it,the fuel in the float bowl would boil causing hard hot starts.
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Rich

• View Profile
Insulation
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 07:31:09 AM »

Put the insulation back in if you intend on using a low rise dual plane intake (like the stock unit or an Edelbrock performer), but if your going to use a high rise single plane manifold you won't need it.

Snotty

• View Profile
Insulation
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 08:56:16 AM »

I just read in a Mopar magazine that if you are going to modify the intake, or use a different carb, you should cut off/cover up the heat riser crossover on the intake.  Since I do not have the insulation any more, and get heat soak after a long drive, I might just do that.  But, are there "plates" available to cover these up?  I have never looked.

Also, I've always tossed the insulation.  By the time I've taken off a manifold that stuff is so bad - ripped or burnt - that I've not wanted to put it bacK on.  Question: is that stuff available new?
It's green here in Chico!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Insulation
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 11:58:18 AM »

Quote from: Snotty
Question: is that stuff available new?

Looks like Home Depot house insulation to me....

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Insulation
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 12:53:29 PM »

It's just insulation wrapped in tin foil.  You can make new ones or rewrap yours if it's for looks.

Pam the foil so it doesn't stick
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Insulation
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »

So, what everone is  saying is, the world as we know it will come to an apocolyptic end if I don't use insulation.

Commando12008-11-11 18:45:41

Snotty

• View Profile
Insulation
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 11:17:15 AM »

Quote from: Commando1
So, what everone is  saying is, the world as we know it will come to an apocolyptic end if I don't use insulation.

I'm not using the stuff.  I do have a heat problem after a long drive.  The fuel will evaporate from the carb, especially in the summer.  But then, it can hit 115* here!  I am going to check into capping off those intake heat-exchange passages.  It doesn't get cold enogh here to need them in the winter.

Ken

• View Profile
Insulation
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 04:55:44 PM »

Quote from: Snotty
I just read in a Mopar magazine that if you are going to modify the intake, or use a different carb, you should cut off/cover up the heat riser crossover on the intake.  Since I do not have the insulation any more, and get heat soak after a long drive, I might just do that.  But, are there "plates" available to cover these up?  I have never looked.

Scott, just get a short piece of Corning fiberglass insulation, and make two pads out of it, 'cause it is the exact same stuff.

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Ken

• View Profile
Insulation
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 04:56:53 PM »

BTW, I noticed I still have mine in place...which will change once I do the engine upgrades 

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Insulation
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 06:22:27 PM »

The crossover can be blocked with thin stainless steel shim stock

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Snotty

• View Profile
Insulation
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 10:09:20 AM »

[/QUOTE]

Moe, I don't want the stuff.  It's an aesthetic thing, and I think that stuff looks lousy sticking out under the mainfold.  I like a clean, empty valley pan.

I like the magazine's suggestion of capping off the cross-over at the heads.   But, I can imagine a small plate there causing a mounting problem, so I wonder how they propose doing so.  I don't have the heat riser anymore, so there's no forced exhaust going through my manifold, but exhaust gas will still pass through in normal conditions. 

HAs anyone capped these passages off?  If so, how? 

Snotty

• View Profile
Insulation
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 10:10:34 AM »

Quote from: stitcherbob
The crossover can be blocked with thin stainless steel shim stock

Ah, if only I had read further....

Do you have pictues Bobby?  Do you cut a piece and place it in place?

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Insulation
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 04:06:54 PM »

[/QUOTE]

Moe, I don't want the stuff.  It's an aesthetic thing, and I think that stuff looks lousy sticking out under the mainfold.  I like a clean, empty valley pan.

I like the magazine's suggestion of capping off the cross-over at the heads.   But, I can imagine a small plate there causing a mounting problem, so I wonder how they propose doing so. 

[/QUOTE]

I used the intake manifold gaskets from Fel-pro (MS96000) that block the cross over.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC