MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TF999 Shifter  (Read 884 times)

AJ

• Administrator
    • View Profile
TF999 Shifter
« on: October 26, 2008, 08:35:02 PM »

Ok...my Jeep has a built TF999 and i really do love this transmission - best of all worlds and well...its tough.  Anyway - after doing some mudding early in the Jeep's life with me...the linkage bound and broke.  So I went the quick-fix route which was to install a B&M Cable Style shifter.  This fixed the problem and ensured it wouldn't happen again - unless the cable was to screw up.

So...flash forward appx 3yrs later - here I am.  After I built up my 258 - it wasnt strong enough for my 33s (at the time), heavy lead foot, and poor gearing ...anyway...I swapped in a 360ci.  I wanted to keep the stock waggy manifolds that are on there because they have just under what a header could do and with the stock ones they gave more Tq than HP...I install the motor and see the shifter cable on the manifold...can't move it out of the way.

There was no place to move the shifter to re-position the cable.  And I go thru 2 cables after trying many different things\\positions\\etc.  I look on eBay and find an old 4-speed manual floor shifter for cheap and make it work for the time being...had to be able to drive it.

After building the exhaust recently I realized that there just was not enogh room between the shifter linkage and the shifter - had to move it out the way....now...does anyone have any suggestions for a Direct Linkage Floor shifter?

Sorry - felt like telling a bed time story. [Now I feel worse than Bob]

1982 Jeep CJ7 :: AMC360 Edelbrock 4bbl :: TF999 Built :: Dana300 Twin Stick :: D30 \\ AMC20 :: 7" Lift :: 35" Xterrains on ARE 15x10s :: Plenty of Fab Work.  And stiil a DAMNED KID!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
TF999 Shifter
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 04:29:11 AM »

Bob?  Bob is a record breaker.  He just keeps skipping back
Screw driver???

I have a mech assembly I pulled from the vert if you want. . .   It's direct.  Some of the linkage is here and some is at Bobs.  The mounting brackets need to be removed from the car anyway
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
TF999 Shifter
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 08:57:57 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Screw driver???

Hold up one moment!  You have the linkage from a Mopar.  Bob's motor is an AMC 360 mated to an AMC-spec, Mopar built transmission.  I doubt your linkage will work, Steve.

Bob, for this particular question, you might want to consult with some AMC people. 

I do know that Hooker makes dog-leg port headers for your Jeep.  I have a set for the Gremlin.
It's green here in Chico!!

Snotty

• View Profile
TF999 Shifter
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 08:59:22 AM »

Oh, I made an assumption about the 360.  Since he bolted it up to where a 258 was, he has to be an AMC motor or it would never start.  (Starters on AMC and Mopar are reversed.)

AJ

• Administrator
    • View Profile
TF999 Shifter
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 09:17:00 AM »

Quote from: Snotty
Quote from: POLARACO
Screw driver???

Hold up one moment!  You have the linkage from a Mopar.  Bob's motor is an AMC 360 mated to an AMC-spec, Mopar built transmission.  I doubt your linkage will work, Steve.

Bob, for this particular question, you might want to consult with some AMC people. 

I can tell you this much - because I almost put in a Mopar 360 instead...the TF999 in the AMCs is apparently exactly the same externally less the bell housing, of course.  There have been guys that have done this on their AMC Jeeps...they use a Mopar carcass on the trans and just swap their Jeep trans internals into it - voila bolt up a Mopar.  I had a Power Ram sitting in my driveway for about two months but then decided to just put an AMC360 in.

I can't really run any headers unless I run shorties\\factory replacement or fenderwell.  I don't have enough room on the pass frame rail for an exhaust if i run long tube in frame.  I rotated the xfercase up so I have a 100% flat belly under my HEEP for clearance Now my BOA is just under 30* .  Even still with the shorties where the cable was run it would contact the #7 pipe.

evulution2008-10-27 13:21:07
1982 Jeep CJ7 :: AMC360 Edelbrock 4bbl :: TF999 Built :: Dana300 Twin Stick :: D30 \\ AMC20 :: 7" Lift :: 35" Xterrains on ARE 15x10s :: Plenty of Fab Work.  And stiil a DAMNED KID!

Matt Aker

• View Profile
TF999 Shifter
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 12:18:47 PM »

Snotty called you BOB! 
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

AJ

• Administrator
    • View Profile
TF999 Shifter
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 12:21:23 PM »

I know - I had to re-read what I typed...it's almost insulting!

evulution2008-10-27 16:22:29

Snotty

• View Profile
TF999 Shifter
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 03:30:21 PM »

I saw Steve's reference to Bob. 

What is you name?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC