MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 1968 Plymouth Fury III  (Read 4965 times)

Arlen Vander Hoff

• View Profile
1968 Plymouth Fury III
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2008, 04:12:47 PM »

Trunk looks GREAT Mike!!! You da man!!!

Mike

• View Profile
1968 Plymouth Fury III
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2008, 05:33:39 PM »

Well I installed the pertronix conversion and put on a new coil.  She started up but kept stalling.  Mobby adjusted the mixture screws on my carb and now she's running great.  Next thing to do is figure out my electrical issue (no headlights, brake lights, dash lights) 

'68 Fury III
'03 Ram 1500 Hemi Power Baby
Part of the Jersey Mob

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
1968 Plymouth Fury III
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2008, 06:28:36 PM »

Check the fuses first.
Wiggle dimmer switch in the dash to light up the dash lights.
Double check the bulbs out back,then the plug behind the left kickpanel.
Check the blukhead connector for the headlights.Then check the switch on the floor that feeds the headlights  (High beam/low beam)
Usually they can corrode and the headlight do not work.Simple fix and cheap.The three wire plug going to it may be bad as well.Again a cheap $5.00 fix if  needed.
If that is not the problem,it is the headlight switch itself.It feeds all lights--dash,brake lights,park lamps-everything.
I got spares if needed.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Mike

• View Profile
1968 Plymouth Fury III
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2008, 06:34:10 PM »

I've pulled the bulkhead off, cleaned it, and put vasoline on it.  It looks like one of the connections might have melted slightly (middle plug top right connection)  My blinkers work in the front and back, the dome light and occasionally the trunk light comes on if u touch the socket to ground it   I think theres a bad ground some place...just don't know where to start.

'68 Fury III
Part of the Jersey Mob

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
1968 Plymouth Fury III
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2008, 06:43:21 PM »

What color is the wire and is it bigger than the rest.  If it's a fatter black or read, that's a battery circuit.  I'll have ot look at it when the car is at my shop
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Mike

• View Profile
1968 Plymouth Fury III
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2008, 03:23:00 PM »

Today I attempted to check out what could be wrong with my electrical...  I first checked the fuse block and noticed that the Instrument panel fuse was blown and of course I didn't have one handy, so I had to take a trip to Napaland   Got home and popped it in and and and  nothing   I find it odd that I have front parking lights and my rear lights come on when I put the headlights on, but the headlights just don't want to come on   My blower for the A/C + heat doesn't seem to work either, I can hear the doors open but no blower  

As of right now I'm fresh out of things to check without ripping the dash apart...

Oh and Steve, the wire that looks semi melted on the bulkhead is indeed black and it does seem to be fatter than the rest

'68 Fury III
Part of the Jersey Mob

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
1968 Plymouth Fury III
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2008, 06:01:57 AM »

That's the charging circuit.  Before you do anything, let me look at it.

when you get this thing rolling, get it up here so I can fix all that stuff.  May be a bad headlight switch.  I have one

Mike

• View Profile
1968 Plymouth Fury III
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2008, 07:52:24 AM »

Well I got 'er rolling, but I don't have brake lights, I could try to rig it up like Mobby did to his just for the trip up...Unless you have a better idea for me to try
'68 Fury III
Part of the Jersey Mob

Mike

• View Profile
1968 Plymouth Fury III
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »

So today I decided to start her up since I haven't in a couple days.  She started right up and to my surprise the headlights even decided to work   Granted I still don't have dash lights or brake lights.  I'm almost starting to wonder if my dash bulb is burned out, since my blinker lights and high beam dash light both work fine...

'68 Fury III
Part of the Jersey Mob

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
1968 Plymouth Fury III
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2008, 06:35:40 PM »

The high beam indicator is not part of the dash light circuit.  Just like the oil light.

It could be the dimmer too.  They were known to go bad.

BTW. . .this is the grinch speaking, incognito
Steve
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

firedome

• View Profile
1968 Plymouth Fury III
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2008, 05:11:20 AM »

I like to use di-electric grease on all the bulkhead connectors...
might be a candidate for that conversion that reroutes power out of the
ammeter circuit? Someone posted a link on how to do that awhile
back...  nice lookin' trunk! 

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Mike

• View Profile
1968 Plymouth Fury III
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2009, 05:25:15 PM »

...So I'm back   After letting the Fury sit all winter, I finally got a summons for not having it registered and insured and all that good stuff, so I figured it was time to get things moving again.  After getting all the paperwork squared up and getting the town off my back, I put a few pieces back on 'er and figured I might as well take her through inspection while I was at it...
Everything was fine and dandy, she started up fairly easily and was running pretty good...so I figured I'd test out the basics to make sure everything was still working that needed to. 
Horn....check
Blinkers...check
Brake lights...check...well sort of
Head lights..........well no head lights again
So I figure it's pretty pointless to bother with inspection at this point so I turn the car off and recheck a few things.  I goto the trunk, pop it open and I noticed the light bulb was on and wanted to check to see if it went off when I pushed the button down (as it the trunk were closed) well to my surprise it didn't turn off...so I jiggled the wires around back there and still nothing, just stayed on... Gave up and went to start the car back up and....and...and....nothing, nothing at all

So at this point I'm getting frustrated and decide to jiggle the wires around on the bulk head.  Turn the key and she starts up 

This is my dilemma now...sorry for the wall o' text
If anybody has any idea's I'm all ears  

'68 Fury III
Part of the Jersey Mob

Johnny D.

• View Profile
1968 Plymouth Fury III
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2009, 09:47:28 AM »

all by yourself ehh...

"Rock and Roll's been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died."- John Milner

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
1968 Plymouth Fury III
« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2009, 05:11:46 PM »

Mike, It sounds like you need to inspect that bulhead connection...Clean it up...Look for pushed pins...loose pins/wires....get that fixed and you should be in business...as for the switch on the trunk light...if it doesn't go off why did you have a charged battery to start the car with after sitting all winter? Do you really have an issue there? In my 69 I have to almost shut the trunk lid to get the light to go off...There's a mercury switch I believe...not sure about the 68's though...Make sure your connection to the battery is good and clean too. These cars are nice and simple...Just spend some time with the ol' girl. You'll work the bugs out of her...Get her legal too....start running her around...They need to be used to be reliable,,

Bob
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
1968 Plymouth Fury III
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2009, 05:32:06 PM »

Sigh

Mike. . is this all plated and insured?

Maybe I should come down and get it, we do a run around on it and you can drive it home.

I suspect the bulk head connector too.

I need to get my trailer done first though. . .  It's going through a major upgrade and overhaul right now.  It's tired.  Changing the front completely with a new bulkhead and winch (9500 to 12,500 winch) Bigger tool box, better air flow, about 100 poinds lighter when done.  Needs wheel bearings repacked and needs a complete rewire.  I should have it done by Sunday.  I have to bring the 59 down here and fix up the wiring on that so I can sell it.  Once that's here and running, I guess we can fix you up.  Put the list together for me.

Yours is easy. . .Mobby needs an overhaul.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC