MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual exhaust - what's it cost?  (Read 1389 times)

attkrlufy

• View Profile
Dual exhaust - what's it cost?
« on: October 08, 2008, 07:05:22 PM »

Look - I'm a poet and I didn't even know it!

With the the Thermoquad soon-to-be fixed, I want to tackle the way this puppy breathes.  The single exhaust was hacked up by some reject ages ago who didn't realize when you DOWNSIZE the pipe you kill the car's ability to move air in and out.  He also routed it wrong, so the pipe smacks against the rear axle on bumps.  When I drive Wanda on some of these Ithaca roads, it sounds like a Neil Peart drum solo.

I want to convert my single exhaust to dual exhaust, and (of course) I've got more than a few questions.

1) What should something like that cost me approximately?  I have no experience with exhaust work so I don't know if an estimate I'm getting is honest or realistic.
2) How wide should the exhaust pipes be?  Do you guys think 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" is right for a 360 4v?  I'm not trying to win races or intimidate the neighbors....I just want a nice boost in HP without killing my ears at idle or light-to-moderate throttle.  Quiet=good.
3) I notice a lot of people get either X or H pipes when they get dual exhausts.  Should I do that?  What's the benefit of something like that, anyway?

Thanks for your help, guys.

1979 New Yorker - 360 4v, 2.71:1 rear, factory moonroof, factory road wheels

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 08:25:49 PM »

I ahd 2.5" on my 360 Cordoba andf it flowed well.  I ahve the same on my Newport and like it as well.

I spent just at $700.00 for the dual set-up on my Newport.  That was for all new pipe from the exhaust manifold on one side, and one-half length on the other (The factory pipe was 2.5 as well, so Steve used that back to the axle.), two trrbo mufflers, and new pipe omn both sides to the rear of the car.

As for a crossover pipe, it's a matter of taste and preference.  I'd say if your motor is otherwise stock it is not necessary.
It's green here in Chico!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 01:06:03 AM »

When it comes to exhaust, too many people have the kneejerk reaction to go into the "bigger is better" mode of thinking.  I'm not going to get into my credentials and why my opinion should be followed.  Listen to everybody and then decide.

The simple answers:
For your current setup....
1.  If you can in your state, dump the cats if you have them.
2.  2  1/4" single or 2" duals is totally sufficient. 
3.  If duals, you don't need an X pipe.
4.  Save yourself a ton of money.  Go to a chain muffler shop and put on a stock   replacement system.

If you want the long version, PM me...

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2008, 03:12:27 AM »

700.00 is about the norm.
Stock motor with mild upgrades 2-1/4" will give you good torque range,better MPG,and better top end.2-1/2" will be noisier and no real HP gains on a stock motor
2-1/2" will compliment a hot 360 better,IMO.
My car is not a performance vehicle yet I have an H-pipe.
Truthfully,the H pipe systen is quieter than straight duals.
It evens out pulsing and scavenging.At 70 MPH,my car is quiet.
Plus,at idle the exhaust sounds great with the H.No blatting or snapping when on the throttle.
Dynomax Super Turbo 17747 mufflers sound the best behind a Mopar engine. Also Thrush welded muffler 289-17651 sounds great with a deeper agressive tone.
Should your car require the cat convertors to stay on,install Magnaflow Hi-flow 93500 series cats.We install them at my work and you can actually see right through them!! They run about 70 bux or less each. 
Cats will be above the dual conversion cost,of course.
Ditto if you want stainless tips
CBarge2008-10-13 09:23:55
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2008, 06:21:05 AM »

1) What should something like that cost me approximately?  I have no experience with exhaust work so I don't know if an estimate I'm getting is honest or realistic.

$700 is about right.  Suggest an H Pipe too.  It improves the MPG slightly and gives it a great sound too.
2) How wide should the exhaust pipes be?  Do you guys think 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" is right for a 360 4v?  I'm not trying to win races or intimidate the neighbors....I just want a nice boost in HP without killing my ears at idle or light-to-moderate throttle.  Quiet=good.

2 1/4 fits a tad better and is a good size for a small block.  For quiet, make sure the pipes are all the way to the rear of the car, exiting right behind the rear valance.  The closer to the rear, the quieter
3) I notice a lot of people get either X or H pipes when they get dual exhausts.  Should I do that?  What's the benefit of something like that, anyway?

[/QUOTE]
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 01:28:25 PM »

2" pipes will be fine on a stock 360, If you go too much bigger without other mods, you will loose exhaust gas velocity and horsepower. 2 1/2" works well on a mild Big Block, but would be too much for your engine. You should definately get either an H or X pipe. If you don't your car will drive you nuts with all the pulsing/droning that goes on at highway speeds. Dyno Max super turbo mufflers are the way to go to get that great Mopar sound --think of the Charger in Bullet! (These mufflers are supposed to be modeled after the street hemi mufflers of the late 60's.) 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 03:15:32 PM »

Quote from: krautmaster
 2" pipes will be fine on a stock 360, If you go too much bigger without other mods, you will loose exhaust gas velocity and horsepower. 2 1/2" works well on a mild Big Block, but would be too much for your engine. You should definately get either an H or X pipe. If you don't your car will drive you nuts with all the pulsing/droning that goes on at highway speeds. Dyno Max super turbo mufflers are the way to go to get that great Mopar sound --think of the Charger in Bullet! (These mufflers are supposed to be modeled after the street hemi mufflers of the late 60's.) 

I've heard that is what the H and X help to eliminate.  One of the reasons I was promoting the idea.  I try not to get to techy sometimes.

I have 2 1/4 on a 318 with an X.  Anybody who has driven the car, will tell you there is no lacl of flow in that puppy

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 08:35:32 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO

I've heard that is what the H and X help to eliminate.  One of the reasons I was promoting the idea.  I try not to get to techy sometimes.

I have 2 1/4 on a 318 with an X.  Anybody who has driven the car, will tell you there is no lacl of flow in that puppy.
Yeah - but if I recall your 318 is a Magnum.  Wouldn't that make a bit of a difference when compared to a regular compression (8.4:1) 360 from 1979?

Still, I think I will go with the 2 1/4" duals with an H or X pipe.  I like what I'm hearing about what they do.  However, one problem I've found is that on the R-bodies, there's a spot for the cat on the driver's side that's taken up by the motor for the driver seat.  So - I'm told if you have a power driver's seat, you can't have a cat on that side of the exhaust piping.

There's got to be a way around that.....right?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 12:41:11 PM »

Aftermarket Cats have a shield if you specify it. 

Maybe you can find a shield in the scrap yard for it you can retro to the floor board too.  That will eliminate any doubts for you.  I would suppose anything from any car would work.  It's only a piece of galvanized sheet metal

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 01:47:25 PM »

The Magnaflow hi-flow cats come with a heat shield welded onto it.
CBarge2008-10-10 18:47:41
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 02:05:13 PM »

Quote from: attkrlufy

The fact that it's a magnum makes no difference.  Remember yours is 42 more cubes bigger than my Maggie.  The magnum has slightly higher flowing heads and roller lifters.  That's the primary difference.  More HP and torque from a smaller package because of less friction.  The EFI is the major difference.

attkrlufy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 05:45:43 PM »

The fact that it's a magnum makes no difference.  Remember yours is 42 more cubes bigger than my Maggie.  The magnum has slightly higher flowing heads and roller lifters.  That's the primary difference.  More HP and torque from a smaller package because of less friction.  The EFI is the major difference.
Hhhmmmm...I thought the Magnum engines used much higher compression than the carbureted ones.

Still, I found two very small cats - one by Flowmaster and one by Magnaflow that fit the descriptions you guys gave.  They're also only 4" thick - I should be able to fit them anywhere.

Someone mentioned using Dynomax Super Turbo 17747 mufflers.  Aren't they kinda loud?  I'm looking for something quiet.  Afterall, Wanda's not a Charger, she's a New Yorker.  I've got a killer stereo planned for her and I'd like to be able to hear it. 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 05:48:53 PM »

You mentioned quiet before.

One of you guys tell him what Polaraco sounds like with stock style mufflers on it

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 07:13:27 PM »

Polaraco sounds great.Not loud at idle,nice burble when cruising and awesome when on it getting up to speed on the on-ramp!
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Matt Aker

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 05:29:49 AM »

Quote from: CBarge
Polaraco sounds great.Not loud at idle,nice burble when cruising and awesome when on it getting up to speed on the on-ramp!

Polaraco sounds like a 383
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC