MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Tires  (Read 471 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Old Tires
« on: October 05, 2008, 03:13:49 PM »

Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Old Tires
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 03:31:11 PM »

Stan

This is a long one and there is no pretty girls.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Matt Aker

• View Profile
Old Tires
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 03:31:12 PM »

I've known for several years that tires were date coded.  I guess that I should check the stack I have in the basement...
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Matt Aker

• View Profile
Old Tires
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 03:37:56 PM »

Great video!  Well worth watching for all of us who buy tire sizes that aren't too common in the 21st century!
Matt

I love don't YOU?  Cause I never grew up!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Old Tires
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 03:59:44 PM »

I disagree with that "chicken little" style report. Ok, maybe service stations shouldn't store their new tires outside where UV rays can degrade the inside of the carcass (which is protected when it's mounted) but most tire problems are caused by underinflation or overloading.....2 things that all of those wrecked vehicles in that lawyer's warehouse could have in common as they were all SUV's !!! Soccer Moms rarely check tire pressures and SUV's get loaded well beyond their recommended usage (loaded also can mean load on tires from driving like a maniac too....)
In addition, the report showed tire tread all over the highways as proof that this is happening. The tread they zoomed in on was obviously a retread from a truck.....not a passenger car tire. I see lots of retread (or "Jersey Alligators") on the highway, but lets ban retread tires then.
If a tire is going to come apart due to age alone (age unused, not age mounted and sitting with 2 tons of C body Chrysler on them in storage during the winter...) then they must have really cut down on tire quality over the years. I thought technology got better as we researched and changed manufacturing.
Of course none of this has even touched on the Chinese tire manufacturing......that could be scary

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Old Tires
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 06:23:57 PM »

That was from this summer.
I had to re-assure my customers that the "six year" rule was not in effect here in Canada,and none of our tires in stock were old.We sell large volume of quality tires and they never get to sit around long enough to pose a danger to people.Any "dead stock" that is not selling gets returned to our head office and credited.
Many factors can cause a tire to fail--not just age.
Compressed air contains moisture.That moisture can rust inside the belts inside the tire.
Underinflation
Poor tire maitenance
Poor vehicle maitenance
Driving habits and the vehicle's driving environment.
Tires exposed to harmfull UV rays and ozone do break down.
Tires in our shop are stored properly in a climate controlled warehouse with no windows. 
We strongly recommend inflating tires with nitrogen . 
Goodyear warranties their tires from manufacturing defects for 5 years.They do not warranty road hazards like a nail,blowout from underinflation,etc.
After a month or do after the report,people stopped looking at the DOT on the tires on display in my showroom.
Goodyear Canada posted a bulletin on this subject but I have my copy at work.

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
Old Tires
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 06:28:13 PM »

All tires sold in North America require a DOT.
Some Chinese tires do not have a DOT and are not approved to be sold in North America.This means they were not tested to meet our safety standards.
Sure they may be really cheap,but you get what you pay for.How they got into the country is a mystery.
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Rich

• View Profile
Old Tires
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2008, 01:01:30 PM »

I friend of mine that collected Chevy Corvairs (to each his own) in the late 70's was very proud of his all originall 66' Monza Turbo because it still had it's original spare tire.  One day he had to use it (it was about 14 yrs old by then), and about five miles down the road it disintegrated, leaving a horrible mangled mess of his rear fender that required $700 worth of body shop repairs.

krautmaster2008-10-09 18:01:54

Herman

• View Profile
Old Tires
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 02:33:56 PM »

Years ago, I always had a new set of General Tires on my '67 Newport.
On wet roads, the front tires would usually lock up with fairly heavy braking.

So, one day, the reartires needed replacing and swapped the fronts to the rear. But now I needed 'new' ones for the front, so I went to the pop&son-tireshop I usually visited.
Not having much money to spend at the time, I asked if they had a set of good, used tires for the front.
They rolled out some used Dunlop tires and mounted them.
Couple of days later when it rained again, I was surprised the frontwheels didn't lockup anymore as they usually did. Even when I tried braking a little harder, they still didn't skid easily.

Turned out that, on wet streets, even these USED Dunlop tires had more traction then NEW General tires... Learned my leason that day never to buy a General tire anymore. Or anyother cheap (Cooper) tire for that matter.

BigBlockMopar2008-10-09 19:37:40

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Old Tires
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »

and yet, on my Neon, Coopers have turned out to be great....go figure!

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

AJ

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Old Tires
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 08:09:03 PM »

My complaint with Cooper is every set I got would not last me long...what is amazing is their Mud Terrains they had were amazing.  Better life than my car tires but with a thicker sidewall, good tread life, and even with no siping did surprisingly well in water.  Better yet off-road they held up quite nice.  Could air down to 22psi on the street - including 65mph HWY for 1hr.  Then again their weight\\load rating was high and my Jeep is light.

1982 Jeep CJ7 :: AMC360 Edelbrock 4bbl :: TF999 Built :: Dana300 Twin Stick :: D30 \\ AMC20 :: 7" Lift :: 35" Xterrains on ARE 15x10s :: Plenty of Fab Work.  And stiil a DAMNED KID!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC